Chapter 15

Bittersweet Change: Escape

DOUBLE UPDATE!!

Kris informed me that he would be having that talk with Makoto, so I decided to let him take care of that business while I fix something up for dinner. Thankfully, I had D.O. there to assist as he usually does. We made simple noodles with rice as a side since we were too tired to really cook anything major. Of course, EXO had no complaints so while everyone was off on their own business, I decided to clean up the mess so D.O. could rest.

 

Once I was finished, I decided to head outside just to relax for a bit. Once I reached the lake, I was surprised to see D.O. there looking at the stars.

 

“What brings you out here stranger?”

 

He turned his head and flashed me his smile, “Just taking a breather for a bit. Come join me.”

 

I walked over and sat right next to D.O., our feet buried in the sand as we overlooked the scenery. I always enjoyed gazing at the lake at night. The advantage with living in the woods, the moon looks even bigger here than it does blinded by city lights. The way the moon illuminated the waters, I could see our reflections perfect. Plus, the stars are always a great addition to the vast night sky.

 

“Umm Mi-Hyun?”

 

I looked up at D.O., “Yeah?”

 

He was scratching the back of his head while trying to get the nerve to say whatever it is he wanted to say. “Umm, I’m happy you and Kris worked things out finally. Even though I’m not as strong as he is, I probably would have taken him down if he made you cry again.”

 

“Thanks D.O., I can always trust that you’ll be there for me just as all of EXO are.”

 

He nodded his head, “Always, I’m here whenever you need me.”

 

As we continued to sit there outside, I could tell that there was something D.O. had on his mind. When I concentrated on him, I heard, “Just tell her damn it! Just get it off your chest!”

 

Being the way I am, I took the first step, “D.O., what is it you want to tell me?”

 

He broke from his concentration, “Oh, I forgot there for a while that you can read minds. Well Mi-Hyun, since it looks like we’re going to be having another battle on our hands real quick, there’s something I just wanted to admit to you because I don’t want to regret it.”

 

“Let me guess. You kind of have feelings for me.” I interrupted.

 

He looked at me stunned, stammering out, “H-How did you figure that out?”

 

I chuckled, “I can read minds remember? There have been times when I’ve heard you say things like ‘I wonder what it’d be like if Mi-Hyun was mine’ or ‘If Kris or Suho wasn’t the alpha, could a regular wolf like me have a chance with her?’ Plus, your buddies don’t exactly keep things a secret either. I can’t count how many times I’ve heard Baekhyun and Chanyeol whispering about you and I.”

 

“I swear, I’m going to cause an earthquake just small enough to cause only those two chuckle-heads to fall into the depths of the earth.”

 

I laughed a little, taking D.O.’s hand in mine, “It’s okay that you feel that way D.O., I’m honestly flattered. If it’s any consolation, if I didn’t have Kris, maybe you and I probably could have happened.”

 

His glum appearance changed, a sense of joy showing from his eyes, “Honest?”

 

Even though I can’t love anyone like the way I love Kris, I did have a bit of a soft spot for D.O., “Of course. I mean, I love hanging out with you, especially when we’re cooking. You’re such a sweet guy with those cute little round eyes to match. You and I kind of have an understanding of each other really well, so it makes me feel really close to you.”

 

Soon as I told him how I feel, D.O. surprised me by wrapping his arms around my back, hugging me really tight against his chest. I put my arms around him, hearing him whisper into my ear, “Thank you Mi-Hyun. Thank you.”

 

Like twins, we matched the satisfying smiles we shared before letting go off each other. I gave him a little peck on the cheek, looking away from him while he began blushing from my sudden action. He couldn’t even take his hand away from where I kissed him.

 

Before we could even say anything else, “Awww how sweet.”

 

We turned our heads to see Kris glowering at us, especially drilling his eyes into mine.

 

“It’s funny actually. Here I am, trying my best to make things work for both of us, instead I should have been watching you all along since you seem to be getting a little too friendly with my friend.”

 

I got up from where I was sitting and approached Kris, “What are you talking about? You’ve seen me gives pecks on the cheeks to the guys before, what’s your issue?”

 

He scoffed, “My issue is, instead of focusing on Makoto like she is the home-wrecker, you might want to take a look in the mirror and see who’s becoming a little to loose for my liking.”

 

Wow. I stood there stunned, not knowing what to say. I felt my tears ready to come back from those painful words. How could Kris say that to me? I just stared at him in disbelief until D.O. came from behind me and got right into Kris’s face, “Who the hell are you, Kris?!? How could you say something like that to your own mate?!? Have you gone crazy?!”

 

Kris just sneered at him and gave him a hard shove, pushing him right into me. “I don’t give a damn anymore! You know what, have Mi-Hyun. While you’re at it, you can take turns with Suho. Who knows who else she’s been friendly towards?”

 

My teeth started chattering from trying to fight my tears. D.O. glanced at me for a second before turning back to Kris, clenching his fists tight. "You bastard!" He screamed before bringing his hand up and swinging, but Kris was too fast. He just moved out the way, causing D.O. to create a hole into the wall.

 

“I’m out of here.” Kris began running into the woods, trying to leave behind the ruckus he caused. I couldn’t stand there and pretend this didn’t happened. I broke from my position and ran after him, screaming his name. I was so caught up with what just happened, I found myself almost immediately, without transporting, in the middle of the forest.

 

“Kris! Please talk to me!”

 

I looked around me, only hint of light coming from the sky. The tall trees were bordering around me, the only sense of sound coming from the brushing leaves. I stood there, screaming for Kris, hoping he’d leave the shadows and just talk to me. I turned my head when I heard a branch break behind me. I was hoping it was Kris coming out, but instead, “My my my, hasn’t anyone told you it’s dangerous to be out here alone at night?”

 

Damn it. Jonghyun began to pace to me, showing that sinister smile of his. I transformed myself into a wolf, ready to fight. Jonghyun did the same but just stood his ground.

 

“You and lover boy having issues?”

 

“What’s it to you?!”

 

“Oh nothing, really. It just makes things easier for me.”

 

I furrowed my eyebrows, “How?”

 

“Because when I’m done with you, you and Kris will be wiped off the face of the earth.”

 

Jonghyun dashed to me, bringing his claw up and striking me right in the face. I howled in agony from the burning sensation I felt in my eye. Instead of laying there weak, I got right back up and circled around him. When he tried to go for a second attack, I remembered a move Tao taught me and dodged around him. Once I did that, I jumped and landed on his back so that I could have a perfect shot. I howled into the sky before planting my teeth deep into his neck.

 

“AAAAHHHHH!”

 

Jonghyun threw me off my back, growling in agony. I was about to go for his legs when I noticed from the corner of my good eye, a human figure standing behind a tree. I tried to get in closer to see who it was, but it was too dark to get a clear view. The human instantly disappeared into the depths of the shadows, so I turned around and focused on Jonghyun, but he was gone.

 

I howled, “Come out, you coward!!!”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Puppy, I swear I didn’t do that!!”

 

“You know what, Kris, D.O. AND I were there!!! The words you said and the attitude you had. You ran off and left me there alone in the woods, knowing that I could be attacked at any moment!”

 

Even D.O. spoke, “Kris, stop denying it already. You’re not fooling anybody!”

 

Kris and I argued back and forth while Lay sat next to me healing my eye. He interrupted for a second to explain, “Kris, Jonghyun could have permanently blinded Mi-Hyun’s eye. You’re lucky it’s just a deep scratch and nothing more.”

 

Kai and Suho just kept frowning at Kris while the rest of EXO were shaking their heads in disappointment. Kris continued to deny any of his wrong-doings, so I had enough.

 

“I can’t do this Kris, I can’t.”

 

“Wha-what do you mean, Mi-Hyun?”

 

I got up from the chair and walked to the door, “Until you admit the things you’ve done to hurt me, I just want to be away from you for now.”

 

“Please no, Mi-Hyun, don’t-“

 

“I think it’s best for both of us if we don’t really talk unless it’s about training or the fight with Jonghyun.”

 

I transported myself to the other house and locked myself in one of the rooms. I buried my head in the pillows, wetting the fabric I laid on. Even when Kai and Suho came to confront me, I cried harder until the heaviness in my chest allowed me to rest my eyes.

 

I don’t want to lose you Kris, but I think we’re coming to an end.

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hey everyone, sorry I've been MIA for a while. Just got back from vacation like a week ago and I neglected school work pretty good. I still got a lot to catch up with, but I wanted to first update two chapters for you since I felt really bad. Thanks for staying loyal and waiting for my slow updating. Much appreciation readers :)