Chapter 6

Bittersweet Change: Escape

A week has already passed and Kris hasn’t even come to visit. EXO sometimes pop in at times, but whenever I ask them about Kris, they keep repeating, “He’s fine. He’s okay. Don’t worry, everything is alright.” It doesn’t help when I read their thoughts and they talk about how they feel bad for me and that they wish they could bring me back home. I despise the feeling of pity, but I’m more upset that Kris didn’t even have the gall to come visit his own kids.

 

As I was preparing the kids’ meals, “Mommy, when can we go home?” I kept my eyes locked on their sandwiches as I told Dai, “Soon sweetie.” I honestly didn’t know the answer. I kept asking Kai when I could take the kids home but he kept insisting that Kris would let him know when I could come home.

 

Hana ran over to me, wrapping her tiny arms around my leg. I looked down at her and saw the worry in her eyes. Her lip pouted as she asked, “Mommy, can we please go home? I miss Daddy.”

 

Dai followed Hana’s actions, “Please Mommy, I miss Daddy too. I miss home.” Their puppy dog eyes were really hard to look away from. I honestly felt disappointed as a mother that I am putting my children through this. I knelt to the floor as I held my kids close to me, my tears slowly streaming down my cheeks.

 

I wiped my eyes and gave the kids their food. I gave them both kisses on their cheeks as they went to the table to eat. Listening to Dai and Hana’s thoughts, they were miserable if anything. Hana kept thinking about Kris and how much she wanted to be back home. Dai didn’t like being locked in this house and he craved so much to go back out hunting with Kris and playing in the lake with Hana. I can’t take this anymore.

 

Just as the kids finished their meals, the door swung open as Kai popped in, announcing, “Uncle Kai is here!”

“Uncle Kai!”

The kids speeded from their chairs and attacked Kai. He tripped back as they gave him a tackled hug. He chuckled, “Alright you little rugrats. How about we do something fun today?”

“I have an idea!”

“And what would that be Dai?”

“We go home and hunt!”

Kai’s expression immediately darted towards me, “I’m sorry Dai, but maybe next time, how about instead we-“

“Kids, go up to the room. Uncle Kai and I will come and play in just a minute.”

“Okay!”

 

Once I heard them in the other room, I took Kai to his room. I closed the door in front of me as I leaned my head on it. I tapped my fingers as I tried to think of what to say next.

“Mi Hyun, I know what you want and the answer is no. I still think you and the kids need to stay here until it’s been decided what to do with the newborn-“

I turned around, “Kai enough about the girl. I need to go home! The kids miss Kris, I miss Kris, I just want to go home! I can’t stand lying to them and pretending that everything is a-okay when it’s not! I hate that I don’t know what’s going on and that no one will tell me anything!”

“I understand, but you just got to trust me on this.”

I leant my head back as it banged on the door. “I hate this so much.”

 

I left the room and went up to the kids. I knew I wouldn’t get anywhere with complaining. Without hesitation I grabbed the kids hands, when I heard close behind me, “Mi Hyun, don’t you dare!”

I have no other choice. I transported the kids and I back home, where we need to be.

I opened my eyes and was assured to see home in front of me. Dai and Hana screamed in excitement running off to the lake. Right behind, I felt a hand grab my shoulder and spin me around.

 

“Mi Hyun! I told you no!”

 

“Shut up Kai! This is where I need to be!”

 

“Mi Hyun, we’re going back to my house!”

 

“No we’re no-“

 

“MI HYUN!”

 

I looked over my shoulder as Tao and Luhan screamed for me. I stuck my tongue out to my brother as I ran over to them and leapt in their arms.

 

“Luhan, Tao!”

“Thank goodness you’re home ! I can’t even believe that Kai came back and brought you along too!”

I broke away from the hug, “What are you talking about?”

Luhan tilted his head, “You don’t know?”

“About what?”

 

Luhan looked to Tao when he said, “Well Kai had a little mishap with our Alpha…”

I glanced sideways at Kai whose head was hanging low.

“Kai, what is Luhan talking about?”

 

Kai tried to avoid my stare as he huffed out through his nostrils, “The reason I didn’t bring you back was because I didn’t know what to tell you.”

I furrowed my eyebrows together, “Tell me what?”

“Kris has been M.I.A since Makoto has been here. Everytime I try to talk to him, he just would ignore me and tend to Makoto. I was so angry that I kind of had a fight with Kris.”

 

Tao bursted into the conversation, “Ha! A fight? If anything, it was like an MMA battle between these two.”

“What do you mean?”

Kai ruffled his hair, annoyed at Tao, “I got mad because when I came to get some of yours and the kids clothes, I noticed how Makoto was laying in yours and Kris’ bed and Kris was basically right beside her, her hair.”

 

I started to feel my chest tighten from the news, “Umm, what happened after?”

“Well I basically yanked Kris from her and we had a talk outside.”

“When you say talk you mean….”

 

Luhan nervously spoke, “Kai lunged at Kris and these two fought each other in their human forms. Kai and Kris kept punching each other in the face, both coming out with broken noses and bruised up eyes. We had to seriously yank the two off each other because they were close to transforming in their wolf forms. After Lay healed them both, Makoto ran outside and Kris went straight to her. Kris just said to Kai that he didn’t want anything to do with him until he found the heart to apologize.”

 

I started pacing around, trying to absorb all this information in my head. Tao grabbed my shoulder, too nervous to look me in the eyes either.

“Also Kai said something to Kris and none of us could believe what he said.”

 

“Wha-what did Kai and Kris say?”

“Kai said ‘Well, what about Mi Hyun and your kids?’.”

 

“And-“

Kai interrupted, “He said I don’t care about that right now.”