Chapter 14

Bittersweet Change: Escape

The whole morning, I couldn’t help the burning red on my cheeks that were forming or that small smirk that I kept revealing on my lips. Last night kept replaying in my head, and I felt such bliss. This morning, waking up in Kris’s arms, I felt reassurance that I haven’t had in a while. I really think things are going to change.

 

As the rest of the day winded down, we were training intensely. Since the boys did not want me anywhere near Makoto after last time’s incident, I just trained with the others. Everything was going fine until Makoto had suddenly charged at Kai like she was going to kill him. I turn my head a bit to see her putting all this force on the heels of her feet as she lunged towards my brother.

 

Without a second to think, I charged from where I stood and head-butted right into Makoto’s side. She instantly impacted to the ground and rolled over in the dust. I transformed back into human and glared down at Makoto. I tried to read her mind, but it was like there was a blank canvas in the depths of her mind. I couldn’t understand it.

 

“What the hell is your problem, Makoto?!?!”

 

Makoto turned herself to normal and tried to brush all the dirt that was stained on her clothes. I saw a little bit of blood on her lip, and I’m not sorry to say that I didn’t feel guilt from doing that to her. How dare she try to attack my brother!

 

Makoto scoffed, “You know what, Mi-Hyun? You’re seeming to forget that we are training and that’s what I am doing. Kris told me before that if the enemy is caught off guard, go for the kill. I’m just doing what he said.”

 

The way she looked at me with those eyes, I don’t like it one bit. Even the way she flipped her hair with that heinous attitude, I want to attack her for it .I gritted my teeth, “You little-“

 

Kris put his arm in front of me and approached Makoto. I closed my mind and focused on Kris’s mind. Luckily I heard, “Don’t worry, she’s not getting off that easy.” I even glanced at Kai who had a reassuring smirk on his face.

 

“Makoto, you obviously saw that all of us were not fighting at the moment. We were taking a simple break. Yes, I did say those exact words about attacking, but you’re using them to defend your actions when they weren’t used at the right moment. The fact that you tried to attack Kai like that is wrong in itself.”

 

“But Kris-“

 

“I’m sorry, Makoto, but what you did, I can’t forgive. I suggest you apologize to Kai and Mi-Hyun, and I think you and I need to discuss your temporary residence here.”

 

Makoto’s voice started to tremble, “But Kris, Mi-Hyun attacked me.”

 

Kris retorted, “I would to if I saw someone trying to hurt any of my pack members.”

 

I could see the look on Makoto’s face, Kris cut right into her with his words. She hung her head low and lazily walked over to Kai and I. She mumbled, “I’m sorry” and walked right back in the house. Usually, I would correct someone for a crappy apology like that, but I wasn’t in the mood to say another word to her. However, her thoughts had more to say.

 

I hate them so much. I didn’t do anything wrong! Why Kris?! Why?!

 

Kai, Kris, and I had the same looks in our eyes. I looked to Kris when he thought, “Don’t worry, Puppy, that was the last straw.” I smiled at him and mouthed, “Thank you.”  With the day now winded down, Kris announced, “Alright EXO, that ends today’s training. Tomorrow will be our last day because I think we need to attack first before Jonghyun has anymore time to plan.”

 

We all wide-eyed at Kris, a bit pushed-back that he wants us to make the first move.

 

“Are you sure about that Kris, don’t you think we should still wait a while since we’re still unaware about who Jonghyun has on his team?” our maknae Sehun questioned.

 

“I understand, but knowing Jonghyun, it’s best if we attack first. If we make our stand in the forest, he’ll have no choice but to come out from wherever he is hiding. He’s never been one to back down from a challenge, and at least we’ll catch him off-guard.

 

As proud as the other maknae is, Tao proudly said, “Well I’m ready to fight. When I see that Jonghyun and whoever that other wolf is, best believe that they won’t be living after I get through with them.” Kris snickered and lightly punched Tao’s shoulder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------KRIS POV:

I knocked on the guestroom door and was greeted by Makoto. She waved her hand for me to come in, so I strolled over to her bed and sat myself down. She closed the door so we could have our privacy. I was going to feel a bit bad about this, but it has to be done.

 

“Makoto, I’m happy that we were able to find you and somehow get you back up on your feet.”

 

“And I appreciate that. Without you Kris, I don’t know what could’ve happened to me. I couldn’t be more thankful to have someone as amazing as you are.” The way she smiled from what she said, I just feel like such an .

 

“Well, you’re very welcome. Anyway, I wanted to tell you that after this battle with Jonghyun, I’m going to have to go back into focus and find the pack you belong to.”

 

Makoto’s smile faded pretty quick, a thin line formed on her lips. She kept her eyes on her clutched hands, trying to keep her look away from me. Even though I feel bad, I have to keep the conversation going.

 

“I want you to know that’s it been great having you here, but-“

 

“Let me guess, the pack and your wife don’t exactly take a liking to me.”

 

My mouth was left slightly open, no words escaping. In all honesty, that had a lot to do with it, but how can I just come out and say that without sounding hurtful?

 

Makoto got up and paced around the room. She walked to the window and just stared outside for a while before closing it. When she sat back down, “I understand, it’s just I really wanted to spend more time here. Especially because….”

 

I looked at her, trying to figure out what she was about to say. “Tell me please, you don’t have to be shy about it.”

 

She sighed and finally looked into my eyes, “Especially because I’ve fallen for you, Kris.”

 

Oh no.

 

“I understand you’re with Mi-Hyun, but I can’t help the way I’ve been feeling about you. Everything about you, I just love. The way your eyes glow when you’re happy. How your lips look when you smile or even pout. I just find you so irresistible that I can’t help myself…”

 

Makoto started to lean toward me, her eyes slowly fluttering shut. I can see her lips pursing, but why am I not doing anything about it? I can even feel myself leaning closer to her, but I’m not stopping. Just as I’m about to shut my eyes, something in me yells, “What are you thinking, she’s not Mi-Hyun! STOP!

 

My eyes snap open and I lean back as fast as I can. Makoto opens her eyes and tries to understand my actions. I shake my head furiously before getting up, “Look Makoto, you’re a very beautiful girl, but you and I are just not going to happen. I’m flattered that you feel this way, but my heart belongs to my Puppy. Mi-Hyun and I have such a strong relationship, I can’t ever jeopardize that again. I can’t even say in another life you and I could be a couple because with having a mate, it’s impossible to imagine life without that person. I’m sorry, but that’s the truth. Hopefully with your new pack, you’ll find the mate you really need.”

 

Makoto chuckled, “I doubt that. After meeting you, I don’t know if I’ll be able to find someone better.”

 

I don’t know why, but I walked over and gave her a hug just to ease her a little. Once I let go, I excused myself and left her room. I do feel bad for dumping all this on her, but it’s the only way to bring peace back into my life again, especially with Mi-Hyun.