v.

100 Days of Chanel

100 DAYS OF CHANEL                                                                                    5


 

 

 

“Learning the keys of the piano is pretty challenging. But I'll teach you all of them in no time.” I pressed a note on my piano and began playing a small random tune. “There are seven naturals on the keyboard.” I began pointing to them as I called out their letter. “C.D.E.F.G.A.B. After the B, the scale repeats itself on the next C. This means you only have to memorize seven notes! Sounds easy right?” Chad smiles a bit.

 

After a few hours teaching Chad the basics, he was already memorizing small melodies. To be honest, Chad was a fast learner and very observant of things, just like his big sister. Looking over at Chanel, she sat in one of the seats and waved at me. Her eyes focused back on her phone. Focusing my attention back on Chad, I notice him staring at the piano keys again like the first time I met him. “So you think you have the basics down?” The boy nodded.

 

“It's easier than I thought.” Chad began to press each button and softly recite it's key note. Checking my watch, it was a quarter til eight. Time flies.

 

Standing up, I notice Chanel was already standing and putting her tote bag across her arm. She looked a bit more tired as usual and she was wearing her navy blue SNU hoodie and some faded light blue jeans, it was similar to the attire when she fist started talking to me. She gave me a small smile. Her eyes looked exhausted. Chanel ran her fingers through her hair. “Hey bud, I think it's time to go.” Chad turned to look at his older sister. He stood up and walked over to the front door.

 

Chanel then turned to me and crossed her arms. “So I guess I'll see you Friday and Saturday?” She grinned. “And don't worry about Chad, it takes him a while to open up to new people. Once you've taught him a couple of times he'll open up right away.”

 

“Ah, I understand. It was nice teaching him,” I confessed. “He's one of the only kids I've had that learns very quickly.” She grinned.

 

“Well thanks. You're still down for the festival, right?” How could I say no to her? Chanel smiled after I gave her an obvious answer. “Thanks.” And before I thought was was just gonna walk away, she leans in for a hug.

 

And even for the short amount of seconds it was, it felt like a whole 3 minutes. And even though it was one of those one armed hugs that most likely do not mean anything, I felt like I was in a trance. My arm wrapped around her small, petite waist and she leaned into me. The smell of her sweet perfume filled my nose and I gripped onto her tight. And then just like that she walked away, waving at me. The two walked out of the room and I followed them and stood in the doorway, watching them leave the building. And for a second, Chanel looked back at me, like she was expecting me to be watching her. She was right.

 

I snapped out of it and turned my head towards Yoseob, who was staring at me, I guess imitating me with googly eyes. “Shut up, I know exactly what you're thinking,” I say, walking up to the counter. Yoseob shot me an annoyed look. “I'm only teaching her brother.” Telling Yoseob the times of Chanel and I going out to places was a bit risky, but I trusted him better than any of my friends up there at SNU.

 

“And flirting with her also.” I leaned against the counter and rested my head on my hand, looking out the clear front doors. “Have you two hung out yet? You told me you all do share a class and go to the same college.” I just gazed at him. Yoseob gasped.

 

Ж

 

I was in a bar called Gopchang Jeongol with Yoseob. This place was a bit of a hot spot, considering the classic Korean rock music that poured of of the speakers in the corners of the walls. The place was a bit crowded. I gazed at all the classic vinyl records against the walls behind the bartender. I put my bottle of soju down after taking a generous sip of it. Yoseob did the same. It was only ten o'clock and the area will starting to fill with customers.

 

I was considering telling Yoseob about this whole ordeal with Chanel, but words couldn't find where to start. Everything happened a bit fast. Too fast, to be honest. It has only been almost three weeks and she was flirting with me. Well, what she did was considered flirting to me. I was clearly confused. I didn't know what she wanted from me. I don't know if I have something she wants. But as I think about it, I think I do.

 

“So you're telling me that you and her have been going out to places?”

 

“Not places like that. Like, we went to the book cafe on campus,” I sip some of my drink. “Out to eat at Hanoi Star, then she may have...came to my dorm—“ I was interrupted by the sight of Yoseob almost spitting out his drink. Biting my bottom lip, I looked away. “It wasn't anything major, she just invited me to that mime festival this coming weekend.”

 

“Oh yeah I've heard of that,” he took another sip. “I heard it's pretty good. Filled with a lot of weirdos though. I went one year with someone.” I raised an eyebrow at him.

 

“Weirdos? What do you mean?” Yoseob's definition of weird always seemed a bit over exaggerated. The Mime Festival was considered a freak show and for people to be entertained by skillful actors.

 

“Like, just the people there. They dress weird and act along with them and go in the streets and do weird things. For instance, when I went there was a regular guy acting like a mime in young girls faces. It was weird. I saw girls run away from him but he would chase them. I think this festival is for the ones who think they can be a mime, honestly. Not a leisure date.”

 

“So what are you saying?” I ask, clearly confused on how I should be expecting this festival to turn out.

 

“I'm saying protect her and be careful,” he says.

 

I gazed at the vintage records again behind the bartender. Swallowing the remaining soju in my bottle, I set it down. Leaning my arm against the bar table, I gaze at the sight of more people coming inside. Yoseob was a bit of a truthful person whenever he started to drink. It spits out of his mouth like he was in a confessional. Yoseob began messing with the empty coasters on the table. He looked deep in thought but I decided not to ask.

 

“I auditioned for a company,” Yoseob said, looking down at the table. I gazed at his facial expression. He looked like his mind was trailing off into his own world. Leaning onto the table, he just looked at me with his huge eyes. To be honest, I'm surprised whatever company didn't want Yoseob. “I don't think they like my visuals. I mean I don't know if my voice sounded good enough though. Maybe I wasn't tall enough...”

 

“Which company?” Yoseob just rolled his eyes. Ah, I know. “Well, they're main objective is looks over there anyway. I don't want you to be considered an idol and not show your talent when the time is right.”

 

“Yeah it's just gonna be hard y'know?” He got quiet for a little and sighed. Then a small grin appeared on his face. “I told you it's the double eyelids.”

 

Laughing I say, “Here you go again. As if your eyes need to be bigger than they already are.” He pouted. The bartender walked up to us and asked if we needed another drink. I said no, knowing what my limit was. Yoseob didn't. He had a way of managing his level.

 

“So, what's up with you and that girl...Eun Ae...” I say, looking at him. Yoseob froze and looked at me. A small blush appeared on his face. “Ah, I see.”

 

“We hung out a couple of times...I was surprised to find out she still lives here in Seoul.” Yoseob takes a sip of his drink. “Last time I saw her was senior graduation. I think she moved.” His eyes were glazed over, like he was reminiscing old memories.

 

“Well she's back—“

 

“She kissed me.” I raise both of my eyebrows and look at him. He was smiling softly, then it formed into a full smile, exposing his teeth. He chuckled a bit. “Two days ago. And I couldn't help but to kiss her back.”

 

Thinking of what he did to me almost a week ago with Chanel, I place a hand on his shoulder and slightly squeezed it. “Good luck.” Yoseob noticed this too and laughed again. “You need it.” I could tell when Yoseob had a love interest, his whole demeanor would change.

 

He took a sip of soju and then said, “Hey do you know a Jang Hyunseung?” Lifting an eyebrow I nod yes, which took to Yoseob by surprise.

 

“Oh...” He then swallowed a large amount of soju. “Me too. He's a nice kid, dresses well. Too well.” I hear him chuckle softly. It was kind of awkward mentioning Hyunseung so suddenly then ending the conversation so abruptly. I set about 3,000 won on the bar table and stood up from my seat. It was getting pretty late and I needed to go out and do some errands tomorrow morning. “Leaving so soon?” I nodded. Yoseob finished the rest of his bottle before paying for his share and getting up from the bar.

 

“Yeah I gotta work on some things tomorrow morning. Hey, good luck on those auditions.” I take my car keys out of my pocket and hold them in my hand. Yoseob follows me out in the parking lot. “Don't...don't take what those entertainment people say to heart. Alright?” Although Yoseob was older than me, I gave him advice that would most likely get him through these butchering so called 'auditions'. “See you later.”

 

“See ya!” I began walking to my car. “Hey Dongwoon?” Turning back around I see him staring at me. “Good luck on your date on Saturday. You'll need a lot.” I grinned and gave him a thumbs up. Yoseob was right, I needed all the luck I needed for this.

 

Ж

Back on campus, I was walking towards my door room before I saw Doojoon in one of the vending machine rooms. Three vending machines were next to each other and he stood there deciding which vending machine he wanted. I stood in the doorway of the room, waiting for him to turn around. He did and then crossed his arms. A look of suspicion washed over his face. “Where have you been?”

 

“I was out with my friend Yoseob,” I said. “Him and I were having drinks.” He nodded.

 

“Hmm...you didn't bother to invite the rest of us huh?” Shaking my head no slowly, he only sighed and dispensed a bag of chips from the vending machine. “Everyone is in Junhyung's room if you wanted to stop by in there. I was just heading back to mine.”

 

“You're not with them?” This time I crossed my arms. “Why not?”

 

“I was uh, just doing some last minute exam cramming...” Doojoon began walking out of the small room, walking right past me. “I've been at it for a while.” He rubbed his eyes and I could see his tiredness.

 

“You sure you don't want to take a break or something?” Doojoon hesitated for a moment. He then gestured me to follow him into his dorm room.

 

Doojoon seemed a bit off today. It was as if he wasn't in his mind. His eyes wandered everywhere and his body motions were slow. Walking into his room I notice how clean and neat it was. His desk, although, was covered in large textbooks. I heard him sigh and saw him lean back into the wall in his bed. Taking a seat across from him, I see the look of discomfort on his face. “You alright?” I ask. Doojoon nods yes and begins snacking on the bag of chips in his hand. “You've never been this quiet. You sure you don't want to tell me?”

 

I bet Doojoon probably didn't want to open up to me exactly, but I knew for a fact that whatever he was hiding wasn't going to jeopardize our friendship. At least, I don't think it will. I shake my head. Of course it won't Dongwoon. Doojoon hesitated for a moment and then got up from his bed. He picked up an open envelope and shoved the papers to me. Looking at the envelope it looked like it came right from SNU personally.


 

  

Dear Yoon Doojoon,

 

It is a very big disappointment in the community to notify the deficiency of one of our students here at Seoul National University. It is highly recommended to take summer courses in order to pay one's dues to poor scores through the semester. As the final semester continues to wrap next month, our community is willing to give summer courses for the next three months. This may be a bit of a disadvantage. If nothing is changed by the end of this semester and choices aren't taken for summer college course, us here at SNU will have to do the benefit of the doubt.

 

Sincerely, SNU Staff Aff.

 

Leaning back in my chair, I look up at Doojoon in disbelief. He looked off in the distance.

 

“I'm failing.”


another chapter! more surprises ahead! Please subscribe and comment! I would really appreciate it! thank you

<3