iii

100 Days of Chanel

100 DAYS OF CHANEL                                                                                    3


 

 

“I thought you considered Eun Ae being your intimate getaway?”

 

 

I sat in class, biting the end of my eraser on my mechanical pencil and tapping my fingers on the mahogany desk in front of me. The classroom was beginning to fill up and the professor had not stepped foot in the room yet. The shuffling of papers filled around me and I gazed right to left, looking for her. Gikwang was seated next to me, the base of his tennis shoe pushing against the glossy antique. He leaned back in the cherry wood wooden chair and smirked, conversing with Junhyung. “ I wouldn't consider her a getaway, just a mere sideline,” Junhyung replied, smirking.

 

 

“So you wouldn't consider making her official yet?” Gikwang assured. Junhyung shook his head no. I rolled my eyes and turned my head away from their conversation. Little time had past, and I had put down my pencil, only unfortunately picking it back up and taping it on the desk.

 

 

To be honest, I was waiting for her. Waiting to see Chanel stroll in with her two usual friends on each side of her, and her azure colored Louis Vuitton tote bag dangling off her wrist. I was waiting for the usual smile on her face whenever she's around, because I know I wouldn't be used to her without it. I know I shouldn't get comfortable, just because I'm teaching her little brother piano lessons doesn't mean she was going to be there the entire time and we just meaninglessly fall in love. I chuckled at that thought. No, this isn't a fairytale story, Dongwoon.

 

 

Chanel and Professor Gho followed behind one another. I gazed down at the scene, since I'm towards the rear of the room. Her tote bag was placed softly on the table and she quietly took a seat. I was a bit perplexed on why she was alone, but I didn't really want to stare. I slowly opened the front of my composition book, leaned back and sighed, waiting for class to begin.

 

 

“Good morning class.” I gazed at the elder man, who was looking at everyone, making sure everyone was here. “I see a couple of people are not here on time.” His hands held a 2 inch binder. While he was skimming through the binder's contents he said, “I suggest they had a choice. Their education, not mine.”

 

 

“Yeah and your paycheck, not ours,” Doojoon whispered. Although, he didn't whisper and I switched my eyes back towards him. Gho looked up in the process and flipped his planning binder shut. Several people turned around and stared at him, and us. Biting the inside of my cheek I gripped my mechanical pencil and placed my left hand under my chin. My patience was running low at the moment and I couldn't deal with the stupidity sitting near to me.

 

 

“Oh mister Yoon, its my paycheck that's going to determine yours,” Gho said confidently, smiling and glancing back down on his planner. I sighed and ruffled my hair a bit. Can he at least not be an during class? I gazed around the room and noticed she was looking. And her expression wasn't impressed in the least. “Everyone please, refrain back to chapter twenty nine. I bet you all have the required notes for this weeks upcoming exam. Mister Yoon, you do have them, of course?” And so I knew that Doojoon was going to be Professor Gho's pet today.

 

 

“Of course, Professor Gho,” Doojoon replied. “There all right here.” He lifted his black notebook and waved it in the air, assuring he saw the professor see it. The elder man just adjusted his square wire eye glasses and turned his back to the dry erase board.

 

 

My eyes plastered on Chanel for a moment and I saw her turning around to look at me. Our eyes met and she grinned, tipping her pen towards me, signaling a hello. I did the same, smiling back at her. I turned my gaze to Doojoon, but was interrupted by Junhyung staring at me. His eyes shifted towards her and I quickly paid attention to the person in the front.

 

 

“The AP Psychology Exam is a relative newcomer among AP Exams,” Gho began, turning around. He took a small sip of his tea and continued. “The following table reflects the approximate percentage of the multiple choice section of the exam devoted to each content area...” He held the list in front of his face. “2-4% history and approaches, 8-10% research methods, 8-10% biological bases of behavior, 6-8% sensation and perception, 2-4% states of consciousness...” I begin jotting down what was going to the on this exam.

 

 

Thinking about the competition for the first highest score in AP Psychology since 2011 was going to be a challenge. Looking down at Chanel, I watched her quickly write down his words. Especially with her. I glanced at the four sitting next to me. And them.

 

Ж

 

 

I grabbed my book bag and walked down the steps. Class was over and I wanted to ask Chanel why she was alone but I didn't want to be nosy. Professor Gho spotted me and gave me a nice eye smile. I could smell Chanel's fruit scented perfume coming ahead, but I couldn't let that get to me. I was beginning to form goosebumps on my arms for Christ's Sake. It was as if she knew I was coming because the moment I walked up to her, she turned around and I froze completely in my tracks.

 

 

“Hey,” she managed to say before me. She smiled and collected her text book off the table. “I see your friend made quite the impression on Professor Gho today.” Her laugh made me chuckle a bit and I shifted my text book over to the side, just to get more comfortable.

 

 

“Yeah, he sure did. Doojoon doesn't know when to...shut up. His whispers aren't really soft.” I noticed her different shades of brown hair were tucked and pinned up into a voluminous bun, exposing all of her unique face. I noticed she wasn't wearing much makeup either. That described the small birthmark on her top bare lip. “Exams are going to be a tough break, huh?” She pulled a strand of wavy hair behind her diamond pierced ear and grabbed the remaining things from the table.

 

“Of course. Hey, you weren't stopping downstairs to the cafe were you?” I thought the question was quite random but I was perfectly glad she asked something like that. “I wanted to grab a little bit to eat before my next class, but if you didn't want to join it's perfectly fine.”

 

“I'd be glad to.” Very, very glad to.

 

“You sure? I don't want you leaving your friends along.” I looked behind my shoulder and noticed them all talking except Junhyung, who was staring right at me. I quickly turned away. “Looks like one is expecting you.”

 

 

“Oh they'll be fine.” I did a pathetic 'it's nothing' gesture and she lifted both of her eyebrows. “They've ate without me before.”

 

 

And with that, we began walking together. Side my side. To be honest, I would’ve walked around the whole campus with her if I could. The halls weren't so crowded as we strolled through the west wing. Many of the signs on boards were being stripped off, since the near end of the semester. The large, crisp windows exposed the beautiful zelkova tree and the campus in the background. Some students were sitting under it, reading a book or just talking. I took a small breath and gazed at it, contemplating all these planned memories that I wish could happen.

 

 

“Nice tree, huh?” Chanel said, unknowingly interrupting my thoughts.

 

 

“Huh? Oh yeah, it's beautiful,” I replied. I turned my head and stared at her. She was holding her books close to her chest and from looking at the huge tree, her gaze changed to me. I made a happy grin towards her and she smiled back. And her smile was gorgeous. Her white teeth sparkled and her eyes turned into a cute 'c'. It felt like things were going so fast, yet in slow motion. From staring and talking in Starbucks, to piano lessons, to walking together in the halls, it was a bit better than I expected. Then I recognized that were were just smiling at each other for no apparent reason. Although our actions were weird and awkward, I didn't wanna step away.

 

 

“Oh!” Chanel exclaimed, her eyes widening a bit. “Before I forget...” She pulled the familiar stack on stapled papers together. “I wouldn't be able to come over there today with Chad, there's some business I have to take care of. But here's the papers.” She handed them to me and I looked at it for a little bit. “You know, job policies.” I heard her laugh, although I didn't look at her. I placed the papers in my bag.

 

 

“Thank you.”

 

 

“Um, is Wednesday and Thursday a week a nice schedule for you? I don't want to over work you.”

 

 

“Oh, no I'm not that busy with people. Even if I am I don't have a problem with it. It's something I like to do. Wednesday and Thursday are perfectly fine.” She grinned. We both began to walk down some steps. I still wanted to ask her why she was alone this morning, but I didn't want to be a nosy stalker or something.

 

 

“Lunch finally!” Chanel said, smiling. “I didn't really have time to eat breakfast this morning. I didn't even get my coffee.” The sound of a nice cup of black coffee excited me. The first floor area was more crowded than upstairs. I let Chanel lead the way in front of me as we both maneuvered through the large crowds. A small tiny cafe was inside the west hall, but it seemed everyone had the same exact idea as Chanel and I did. I noticed her step on her tip toes to see how long the line was.

 

 

“A little crowded huh?” I tried to make conversation again but it wasn't working. Chanel made a small pout and looked behind her. I could tell she was thinking about something.

 

“You wanna go to Hanoi Star on the other side of campus? We have a whole hour. It's across the street.” My body lifted for a moment and I automatically said yes. Chanel grinned. “Thanks.”

 

 

Ж

 

I sip some of my coffee and Chanel does also, although a lemonade was in her hand instead. I was somewhat cautious. I was cautious about seeing my friends in here. All they would've done is stare. And staring is particularly rude. Even though I was being completely looked down upon by some customers in here, many people didn't even pay attention to me and Chanel. But, I mean we were sitting in the middle of several booth tables in the restaurant since the place was so crowded. It's just my friends weren't so conservative as the people here in this building.

 

 

“Do you come here often?” Chanel asks me.

 

 

“Not necessarily. My friends and I always try out a lot of things around campus. And just around town. Do you?” Chanel shakes her head no, as she sips her lemonade again. I look away from her and see two guys, who looked like incoming freshman in college, scoff and raise an eyebrow. I cleared my throat and said, “I noticed that you were alone this morning.” Chanel widened her eyes, as if trying to say something with her face other than , which was filled with food.

 

 

“One of my friends' mother is unfortunately sick. And the other just didn't come in today. I heard she went to a club last night...” She rolled her eyes, drinking again. “I don't see how she does it.”

 

 

Chuckling softly I said, “Yeah I'm not in the partying scene much either. My friends on the other hand...” Chanel giggles softly.

 

 

“You seem like the quiet type, Dongwoon.” Her soft voice caressing my name made me feel the exact same way when I first saw her that day in Starbucks. “I don't get out much, but when I can I try to. I'd rather go to an amusement park or something.” I see Chanel gaze up at at the front when she heard loud voices. I turned around the see what was happening and my heart dropped.

 

My friends. The people that are the most obnoxious in public with their actions, walked inside and stood at the front, waiting to be seated. They all looked around, most likely looking for me. Instantly, I pulled out my iPhone and saw all the missed calls and iMessages lined up. Quickly turning around, I saw Chanel still gazing.

 

“Dongwoon, coincidence that I see your friends here also... ” She smiled and began lifting a mouthful of rice to with her chopsticks. I began thinking to myself this wasn't coincidental, but intentional.

 

“Um, have you been to the book cafe upstairs on the top floor?” I blurted out, trying to get her attention away from them. She looked at me, and I could tell if she was considering yes or no. “I have, it's really nice. It's always crowded up there though.”

 

“No I haven't. Maybe we can go together once.” I grinned and looked down at my empty porcelain bowl. “I think you would be the best study partner for this exam coming up.” I looked at her, contemplating if she was serious or not. Sitting with Chanel face to face for almost an hour, I knew she already was the trickster. She loved making jokes and being playful.

 

“That would be perfect.” I immediately heard annoying talking behind me, which sounded like Doojoon. I sighed. Chanel checked the time from her cell phone.

 

“Oh, the time! I have to go!” She frantically started putting her phone away and smoothing the edges of her bun in place. “Um, Dongwoon I'd hate to do this to you but I have to go up to my next class earlier to talk to one of my professors.” Chanel pulled out 25,000 won and attempted to hand it to me. “And I can't really stay long—“

 

“Oh, no it's fine. Go ahead. I'll pay for everything,” I said, gently pushing back the money in her smooth hands. I had to exhale a small amount of breath because I felt tense. “I want you to make it in time. I'll see you later, or maybe...tomorrow.” I hated to see her until tomorrow, but it wasn't like we were best friends or anything. Chanel barely knew who I was except her knowing that me and her shared a little psychology class together. And the fact that I'm going to be teaching her little brother how to play a piano for the summer. We both stood up together and she grabbed her books and tote bag, which she placed on her shoulder.

 

“Thank you, so much. I'll see you later maybe, possibly.” Chanel grinned and placed the money back in her pocket. Walking around the table to my side she added, “And we'll definitely go to that book cafe soon.” Her small manicured finger poked my sweater vest fitted chest and she smirked at me, eying me up and down. “See you later, Dongwoon.” She pushed me very slightly and walked away towards the front, not looking back. I gazed in awe. Typical me, going nuts over her touch twice, and the fact that she checked me out.

 

Seeing the waitress place the bill on the table, I quickly grabbed it and placed 35,000 won inside the check holder. “Keep the change.” The older waitress bowed and shuffled away. I grabbed hold of my book bag and slowly walked over to my group of friends. The four were casually eating until they saw my figure. Each of them stopped putting food in their mouths. I just stood there silently panicking. I tried to give a short smile but they all looked a bit annoyed. I let out an exasperated sigh. Pulling an extra wooden chair towards the table, I sat down stared at everyone. They were doing the same. “Look I know what you're thinking—“

 

“Have fun on your date?” Gikwang asked, smirking slightly. “I'm surprised, you managed to catch the entire restaurant’s attention with no effort at all.” I just rolled my eyes and looked away from Gikwang, he was becoming more like Doojoon everyday. “She's quite the charmer, you were flustered.” Rubbing the back of my neck I checked the time. 12:45.

 

“I gotta go,” I say, getting up. They all continued eating, ignoring me. Instantly I walked out of Hanoi Star, with a bit of self confidence and a fresh attitude.


 

Please upvote, comment and subscribe! Thank you! :D

<3