ii

100 Days of Chanel

100 days of chanel                                                                2


 

 

 

My fingers touched the white keys gently, gaining a note from the instrument. I shut my eyes and began playing random keys just to waste time. Work was slow today, it always is in the morning. It's more busy in the afternoon just because of young children in primary school. I checked the time again, 9:13. Sipping some of my coffee, I then pulled out another play book filled with classic piano pieces. My eyes still felt a little heavy and my body was stiff from the uncomfortable sleep last night. Taking another sip, I began playing a song from a page in my playbook. I was hoping to wake up from a quick jolt of caffeine but it wasn't working. My body was starting to become immune to this stuff.

 

 

“Um, excuse me?” I turned lightly to my right and my eyes grew wide. My body stood up from its seat, like it was on auto pilot. Chanel stood there with a little boy in front of her. Her hair was pulled back away from her face this time, letting me see all of her features. “Dongwoon?” Her eyes lifted a bit and her hand, which was on the little boy's shoulder, dropped. “I had a small feeling.” She smiled, crossing her arms. “Since you're a teacher after all.”

 

 

“I, uh, had no idea,” I said, rubbing the back of my neck.

 

 

“Oh, sorry, this is Chad. My little brother.” I looked down at the little boy. He and her had the same facial features and fawn colored skin. He looked a bit on the mean side but I tried not to worry. “A kind worker, I think his name is Yoseob, he directed me here. You're the only experienced piano teacher there is. You're willing to, right?”

 

 

“Of course! Of course, um, where's my clipboard?” I turned around and frantically started looking for my dreaded clipboard. My bag was packed full of junk and I needed the time to get rid of most of it. My hands quickly rampaged through my things. “...”

 

 

“Need this?” I looked up and she was holding my clipboard. She was crouched down facing me. Nudging the clipboard at me I could sense my slightly warm face. Chanel giggled softly. “It looked like you were struggling there.” She handed it to me and I took it out of her hand.

 

 

“Thanks.” I stood up the same time she did. Chanel was quite tall for an average girl here in South Korea. But I mean, she isn't from around here. At least I don't think she is. “I just need some paper work done from your parents and um, you know, boring stuff.” She chuckled. “Job policies.” I handed her the small package of papers.

 

 

“I understand.” Chanel's eyes wandered around the room for a moment. “You couldn't possibly give one free lesson could you? For my brother...” I swallowed the large lump in my throat. “Or is that against work policies?” Her eyes formed into a c-shape, clearly amused by the way I was so hooked on being headstrong about some stupid 'job policy'. What the hell was I thinking?

 

 

Oh what the hell.

 

 

“Of course. I bet it won't hurt at all.” I gestured the younger one to come sit by me on the long, wooden piano stool. “Now with the piano there's a lot of notes but you can soon memorize all of them without any worries.” I noticed him gazing at the piano keys and trying to press one lightly. “What's a basic song you know?”

 

“Um...Twinkle Twinkle Little Star,” he replied, softly. I could tell he was slightly nervous and I could understand. I grinned and cracked my knuckles.

 

“Ah, easy. You'll learn that in no time.” Chad only looked down and gazed at the keys again. Poor guy. Moving my mouth to the side, I thought of a small plan to keep him interested. “Wanna know a secret, Chad?” The younger boy moved his lower head upward. “I'll tell you all you need to know about how to master this song like a pro.”

 

And for a moment there, I noticed a small grin.

 

Ж

 

After hours, I decided to lock up for tonight. It was late. This weekend wasn't as busy as others, which wasn't beneficial but exciting. I was excited, because of her. Grabbing my black bag, I checked my room to see if it was properly secure, then walked on. My eyes were feeling kinda low and even though I had a sudden rush for some caffeine, I had to skip out. Class was in the morning and I couldn't stay up all night again.

 

 

In the lobby, Yoseob was leaning against the counter top, hand on chin and dozing off into space. I stopped in my tracks. He looked at me saying, “You think I could tell you something?”

 

 

Watching my co-workers go home I replied with a, “Anything.” I turned my head towards him. Yoseob anticipated. I could tell he was trying to find the right words to say but they weren't coming up to par. He fiddled with his fingers and then took a deep breath.

 

 

“I was thinking of becoming an idol.” I had to raise an eyebrow on that one.

 

 

“Like a Korean pop star?” He nodded, waiting for my opinion. I assumed Yoseob was awaiting for the worst because he gritted his teeth and clenched his fist, as if he was getting ready for a bullet.

 

 

Yoseob wasn't the typical person that could just audition for a spot in an entertainment company. He was a Yang, one of the most wealthy and successful families in South Korea in the stock market. Yang Yoseob was almost next in line for the top position of his father, but things changed. And I know you’re wondering, why would a person like him want to perform with a boy band when he already has millions of dollars to his name? Well, it's not like Yoseob is welcome with open arms in his family, of course.

 

 

“I want to...make more money on my own y'know? And get recognized for the singing I do,” he said, gazing down at the counter. “I don't really know where to start but, I could go to an auditioning that’s coming up this June. I know they'll be against it but where else am I supposed to go? Ever since I wasn't accepted to SNU, I've just felt like I've been banished from a throne or something.” Then he frantically fidgeted around mentally taking back what he said. “I mean, not saying I'm royalty but I feel like I'm not going anywhere with this job.”

 

 

“I get what you mean. This place is kind of a dead end.” I grabbed my car keys out of my pocket and began twirling them around my finger. “I've thought about it too y'know.” Yoseob just looked at me, listening to hear more. “But then I started thinking about my family and how I could put them in danger. I've seen a couple of fan girls running down the street in Incheon and it's a little scary.” I started laughing at the small flashback. “All I wanna know is do you truly wanna do it?”

 

 

“You could have the opportunity to do it, Dongwoon. And yes, I do.”

 

 

“Eh, not as good as yours. You could make it better than me,” I said, laughing. “ I could see you being a soloist or the lead singer in a boy band. That would be nice.” Yoseob chuckled and grabbed his music bag from behind the front door desk. “Hell, if we ever auditioned at the same time, they may stick us in the same group.”

 

 

“One in a million.” The two of us strolled towards the front of the building. “Things happen for a reason y'know? We can't control what happens to us. So if I don't make it, at least I tried.” Yoseob and I began standing in the lobby of the music building. Everyone had left but us and we had to lock up sooner or later. “You don't think I have to get plastic surgery do I?” I laughed loud enough for people to start looking at us curiously. “No, honestly! I heard they take that good looking serious in the industry. You see how some of those idols are. I couldn't last.”

 

 

“Now you're over reacting. You haven't even set foot in an entertainment industry and you're getting your boxers in a knot over some double eyelids.” I managed to make him chuckle with that comeback. “They'll accept your looks. Then maybe they can change that hair a bit.” I ruffled his hair and he smacked my hand away, making a smirk.

 

 

“Thanks.” We both stood there, watching the cars in the intersection rest at the stop lights. “Hey Dongwoon?”

 

 

“Hm?”

 

 

“Uh, you know who that black girl that came in your room this morning was? She was with some younger boy...” I froze. “She was pretty. I wonder if she's fully black.” I checked my time, trying to hint Yoseob that it was time to leave.

 

 

“Oh, that's Chanel. She's a friend of mine.” Yoseob smirked and placed a hand on my shoulder. I looked at him, puzzled. He laughed and shook his head side to side looking down.

 

“Good luck.”

 

 

I shook my head fast at him, then moved his hand. “Oh no, no, no. It's not like that at all.” Yoseob nodded like he understood but he didn't believe me. I knew he didn't. “I'm giving her little brother piano lessons for the summer, that's all. I was the only person she could come to. We go to the same college together.”

 

 

“Wow, she must be a genius. Unexpected from a girl like her.” I shook my head slowly, trying to understand how unexpected a girl like Chanel would go to a good college like SNU, but I wasn't trying to make things even more awkward than it was. Walking towards the front door, Yoseob followed me and we both stepped outside. “Like I said good luck,” he said, saluting me while walking backwards. “See you later!” I tried to give a fake smile.

 

 

“I guess. See ya...”

 

 

I jiggled the door to finally secure the place and leave. The main busy city of Seoul was thriving in night life as I walked towards my car. Seeing Yoseob walk to his car, I finally got in mine and drove off, finally on my way back to my dorm. Knowing whether I would see Chanel almost everyday was a mystery and I only hoped for the best. I wouldn't have ever thought to be teaching a sibling of Chanel's any time soon. But maybe it was a good thing.


 

A small boring chapter I know D: Another update will take place tomorrow! Comment, subcribe, upvote! I'll love you! (Dongwoon will too ;))

<3