xvi.

100 Days of Chanel

 

100 days of chanel                                                                                                                                     16


 

 

 

Six months later.

 

 

 

Snow had layered the grounds of SNU, and the bitter cold helped me with excuses over my coffee addiction. It was the only way of keeping me warm in the cool building of my job. The heat does not circulate throughout the whole building as it should. I have to remember to tell my boss to make that one of his New Year Resolutions, upgrading our heat and cool air system. Although, we did receive an increase in profit for last year, maybe the goal will happen soon.

 

 

College life had been hectic enough for me to stay with family for the majority of summer break. Gikwang held back some of his studies when Jaewan was born. I remember when I came rushing in town, speeding down the highway and running through the halls of the hospital, looking for Gikwang who looked pale and scared to death. Doojoon, Hyunseung, and Junhyung managed to make it in time before I did and I was only there until after the birth.

 

 

Nicole was working as the clerk in the front lobby of the studio, booking appointments and going out to lunch with me. She was a replacement Yoseob, and she always insisted in going out for a drink on Fridays. I appreciated that a lot. I knew the small things she did would creep back up to haunt me. I was slowly starting to feel a tightness in my chest whenever I saw her in a nice dress for the office parties held for each successful month of our company. I couldn't lie to myself, Nicole had looked even more beautiful than in high school. More wise too.

 

 

Chanel, eh, I don't know much about her anymore. Hard to believe that I'm saying that but it's true. The last time I saw her was when I was in a coffee shop with my friends, talking about current events and she was walking down the street with a girlfriend. I don't think she noticed me. The weather was light that day and people were walking along the streets in their leisure time. Yeah she had to notice me. I know her auburn, curly hair and dark eyes anywhere.

 

 

“Valentines Day is such a cute holiday isn't it?” Junhyung smirked as he gazed at the large flower arrangements across the street through the window of the coffee shop. “All the bull stacked along the shelves, girls giving gifts to guys they know they won't get in return, free candy—”

 

 

“Girls wearing dresses regardless of the cold,” Doojoon added, smiling mischievously.

 

 

“The wind blowing them up,” I added, making the whole table erupt in laughter.

 

 

“You think Nicole will be receiving any gifts?” I look at my friend's who stared at me. Sipping hot chocolate, I shake my head and look out the window again. “Oh come on,” Hyunseung added. “I know you thought you might receive something from Nicole.”

 

 

“Those nights out on the town with her might lead into something more than chocolates. R Hotel in Yeongdeungpo-gu,” Gikwang said. Hyunseung, Junhyung and Doojoon burst out laughing. “Trust me, been there done that.”

 

 

“It's not anything like that you guys. It's...it's just a friendship. I've learned not to consider friendliness as a type of endearment to go out with someone.”

 

 

Junhyung returns back with a, “Well she may give chocolates out of social obligation then.” Sipping my hot chocolate, I shake my head at the behavior in front of me. We were all adults here and my friends were complaining about if I gave gift for Valentines Day like children in grade school. I had looked back out at flower arrangements and saw several costumers standing along the corner store, buying chocolates and teddy bears, eyes blinded with love. I scoffed. Typical.

 

 

And then I notice her. I don't try to keep my eyes on the main attraction in front of us at the moment, but even though my eyes weren't looking at Chanel, my friends certainly were. She was with a friend, female this time, and picking up a box of fruity sweets that were wrapped in a delicate white wrapper. Her hair was curly and overflowing over her black scarf and beige trench coat.

 

 

“Coincidence,” I hear Doojoon say.

 

 

The same youthful look was shown across her face. Her sly smile had made my breathing hitch. I had always wondered why she gave her friend that look that day. I also wondered who those candies belonged to. Yongguk? I hope he's not as naïve as I was. Chanel's tote bag was dangling off her shoulder. I guess staying away from the public for a couple of months keeps rumors from dying down ever since that day.

 

 

I saw that everyone at my table was staring at her, and I had to tell them to stop. We were all quiet for a moment. Things were bitter sweet now. The not so long ago memories of summer were supposed to be long gone.

 

 

“Well everyone, I think we've had our fair share of time at this place,” Doojoon says, standing up and stretching. “My class starts at two, I don't have time to be late.”

 

 

“Well alright over achiever,” Junhyung replies, standing up with him. “I see books is your main priority now.”

 

 

“It has to be. I'm lucky SNU kept my here, even after everything.”

 

 

I was significantly happy with Doojoon with all the hard work he's done during the summer. He was permanently staying here. SNU had given him a loan to help him pay off summer courses and he aced all of them and his parents had helped paid off most expenses. Turning my head back to the window, I see Chanel had left. I smile as I get up from my seat and I wrap an arm around Doojoon, walking with him out of the cafe with the others.

 

 

Each of us go our separate ways. Some going to work, some to class. Me, I just had leisure time at the moment. Before going in my car and driving off, I stare at the consignment store across the street. I wasn't going to buy anything. I was twenty years old for Christ's Sake. Why would I need to buy chocolates for a friend?

 

 

Crossing the street, I gaze at the colorful flower arrangements, stuffed animals, candies and chocolates and perfumes sitting on the shelves. The cold wind breezed through and I tighten the scarf around my neck and grasp my hands together, which were covered with thick gloves. The flowers were beautiful, despite them fighting the cold and wild wind. “Bitter weather isn't it?” An older woman speaks up and I bow respectfully.

 

 

“Yes ma'am.”

 

 

“Please, choose any that you like.” She smiles and I grin back. Looking down at the chocolates, I continued walking across the different items. To be honest, I didn't know what to choose. Everything was so extravagant and I felt out of place giving her something like this. “You need help, sir?”

 

 

“Um, yes please.” The short, older woman gets down from her seat and looks up at me. She straightens up a display next to her.

 

 

“Are you finding something for your wife?” I laugh nervously and shake my head quickly. Covering embarrassingly she says, “Oh, well, girlfriend?”

 

 

“Actually it's just a friend of mine.” She smiles wide, imperfections showing greatly.

 

 

“I bet she's a gorgeous friend. Yes?” The woman looked too kind to decline what she said to me. But I couldn't lie either.

 

 

“She is. Very.”

 

 

“Here.” Her hands held up three roses and a small brown teddy bear that held a heart. “Sometimes small gifts are best. Since she's a friend of yours.”

 

 

I take the flowers and small stuffed animal out of her hands. Paying for them, I look down at them and grin. Maybe my friends were right. I was most likely expecting a gift in return.

 

 

Ж

 

Loud and young girls were next to me, screaming and waving fan signs back and forth. I could hear Yoseob's name being called from left to right every second. My arm was clinging around Nicole defensively, making sure nothing was hurting her. I knew he invited me purposely, but I didn't know his fan base was already big before his debut. Our seats were in the front on the floor. He was the opening act for Cube Entertainment's annual concert for their fans.

 

 

Seeing him standing on stage with a microphone in his hand was a bit intimating at first. I wondered if I actually knew this person, or was it all a dream. He didn't remind me of the same Yoseob I was working with or been friends with since freshman year of college. His hair was more styled now, his body was more toned. His eyes looked more focused and glossed over.

 

 

“Yoseob!” A girl next to us screamed. She looked frantic, wanting to get his attention.

 

 

The moment he began singing and dancing along with backup singers, I had to smile at the scene. He was actually pretty good. I call out his name and whistle loud, cheering with the crowd. Nicole joins in too. He smiles on stage and the girls become more wild, cheering and waving their fan signs. I knew that he was going to have an amazing debut, considering this.

 

 

After his performance and the whole concert, Nicole and I wanted to go backstage and see what was going on. Yoseob had given us both backstage passes. It was hectic back here. Stylists and managers urging their artists to hurry up and get situated. Workers ran all over the place, trying to get everything done, even after the concert was finished. The first moment I see Yoseob, he has a towel around his neck, sweat falling endlessly off his face. His button down shirt was ed a couple notches. “Yoseob,” I say. He looks over at me and smiles. I try to walk closer to him but the security stops me.

 

 

“You're not allowed back here.”

 

 

“We have passes,” I say. Nicole and I hold ours up around our necks and he eyes them, shaking his head.

 

 

“No visitors at the moment. The artists are very busy—“

 

 

“Hyung, they're with me,” Yoseob creeps up behind the strong guy and pokes his head out. “I invited them back here.” Although the security guard still shook his head.

 

 

“I'm taking orders and that's final, Yoseob. No guests.” His cheerful face falls and he bites his lip in embarrassment, looking at us. I knew he was saying sorry endlessly in his mind, but I only nodded my head and guided Nicole out of the area. Yoseob was famous anyways, he didn't have the time.

 

 

Ж

 

As I collected my books for the end of my class, I had noticed an unfriendly face walking past me. I thought I had to never see him again. Bang Yongguk. He was going down the hallway of the east wing with his back leaning on one shoulder and his SNU hoodie baggy along with his pants. I scoffed. I didn't know how in the hell he was still here but it still happened. His suspension lasted for three months and I subconsciously thought that he left. He wasn't with Chanel, he wasn't with his friends. He was alone. His eyes were covered with pitch black sunglasses, regardless of how dumb he looked wearing them inside a building. I was hoping to see Chanel following right behind him, but she never did.

 

 

“That ,” Doojoon mumbled under his breath. “He shouldn't be here.”

 

 

“Tell me about it,” I say, walking down the long hallway that had the large windows, exposing the beautiful campus. Sighing, I gaze at the colored leaves on the ground, and the trees swaying due to the wind. Flashbacks to earlier in the summer flooded my mind when I saw the gorgeous zelkova tree. All of it's leaves were still the vibrant green they were and stood strong like it did in the summer.

 

 

“Gikwang invited us over t his place for a little. Since they're close to campus I wanted to see them and Jaewan.”

 

 

“That sounds nice,” I say. “I haven't seen the baby since he was in the hospital.”

 

 

“Oh he's growing fast!” The two of us walk down the steps, down to the second floor.

 

 

 

 

Doojoon and I were in the small apartment Jeesun and Gikwang shared. The place wasn't in a bad part of town at all and the view from their balcony was gorgeous at sunset. I hear baby coos from the inside of the kitchen where Jeesun was cooking. I inhaled the scent of Bulgogi throughout the place and saw her busy with the baby and food.

 

 

“Dongwoon! Doojoon! Nice to have company over!” She beamed. Hearing a knock on the door, Gikwang comes to open it and sees Hyunseung and Junhyung walk in, bringing side dishes.

 

 

“Hey! I didn't know you guys were coming!” Seeing a bright smile on Gikwang's face made me happy the majority of the time. In his arms was his sleeping baby and the laughter of his girlfriend, happy to be there.

 

 

“It was a surprise,” Junhyung said, setting the plastic containers down on the kitchen counter. His eyes set on the sleeping infant and he grins. “Handsome kid you got there.” The small child's features were similar to both of his parents and everything was evenly proportioned. His hands were curled in a ball with his plump lips perked out. I sighed at the sight, because it was small miracles like these that were worth all the bad times Gikwang and Jeesun shared.

 

 

All of us had sat in the living room, talking about good times while drinking soju. Jaewan was sound asleep in his crib. Junhyung had hit things off with Eun Ae, and the two had been going steady for a while. I had told my friends about Yoseob and how successful he was so far, turning more famous by the second. “I hope saseangs don't harm you, Dongwoon. Those loyal fan girls will try to find any scrape of dirt they can on their idols.” Jeesun said cautiously.

 

 

“I wish him all the best of luck.” I glanced over the sincere Junhyung who was already looking at me. “You're one of his best friends, I believe you can help him get through the worst.”

 

 

Nodding my head, I place the cup of soju down on the coffee table. “Thank you. I appreciate it.”

 

 

“And we'll make sure you don't run into the wrong one again either,” Hyunseung said, causing laughter among the room. Smiling, I shake my head. “Did you ever give her the gift?”

 

 

“Excuse me?” Doojoon said, lifting an eyebrow. “You gave Nicole a gift?” Hyunseung crackled in evil laughter as he looked at me. Everyone else was now and I swallowed hard.

 

 

“No, no—I mean—well yes—“

 

 

“You did!” Jeesun exclaimed, bubbly in behavior. “How sweet! What did you give her?” The room was quiet for a moment and I sighed. “Oh come on Dongwoon, is it that embarrassing?”

 

 

“I just gave her flowers and a teddy bear,” I confessed, burying my face. Jeesun could never keep me from not telling her anything. Her persuasive antics couldn't keep anyone from saying no. Junhyung gave me a hard pat on the back and I grinned.

 

 

“Second time's the charm right?” He said, drinking right after. And he was right. The past was gone.

 

 

 

Gikwang had collected the glasses from the table and we all had began bringing in the cooked food and side dishes. The friends of mine all circled around the wooden table, everyone on their knees and opening packages. Then, with each of us holding our hands, we say a prayer, thanking God for all things he helped get us through and how to deal with everything in the future.

 

 

“Jeesun,” Gikwang began, mouth full of food. His girlfriend looked at him with adoring eyes and he winks at her. Checking out the subliminal messages being sent at the table, I look at Doojoon and Hyunseung who were as clueless as I was. “We have some news to share with you guys.”

 

 

“I hope this all doesn't seem sudden, but I feel like it's the best thing to do at this moment...” she added. The two of them interlock their fingers together and eye everyone with excited eyes. Everyone stopped eating now, because it felt like we were all expecting it. Well, at least I was.

 

 

And in the moment, several metal chopsticks fell and clanked against glass plates. Gikwang was engaged.

 

 

Ж

 

“Dongwoon, it's rush hour, we should be hurrying to get to the movie in time soon.” Nicole's arm was wrapped around mine, her eyes staring at the long line ahead of us. “I bet they serve coffee at the movie theater.” I smile, looking at her concerned face.

 

 

I was in Starbucks, getting my usual coffee, straight black no sugar. I was standing patiently in line as I placed one of my hands in my jean pockets. My computer bag was on my right side and Nicole on the left. The place was busy. Customers were walking in and out of the two story building and high schoolers were in their uniforms, enjoying a small latte. The atmosphere had a fresh scent of mocha and fresh coffee beans being ground inside coffee makers. Hot steam circled around the lower first floor. I checked the time. 6:23. My sudden rush of a need for caffeine went through my body and I got chills.

 

 

At least the movie started at 7:00.

 

 

“We won't be late, I promise,” I say, trying to comfort her. She only pouted and I grinned, moving stray hairs that were covering her face. “It doesn't take long to get a straight black coffee.”

 

“You're a coffee addict, you know that? Drinking coffee at seven in the evening. You're going to be up all night.”

 

“I'll be fine Nicole, I'll just be up all night then."

 

Looking up at the plasma screen television, I see Yoseob being given an interview. His calm expression and laughter kept me sane for the most part. His hair was styled nice and he was wearing a suit that fitted him a little too tight. I had to laugh at that one. His face was covered in makeup and eyes covered in eyeliner. Listening to the last of the interview, the coffee shop was quiet enough to let me hear what he actually said. "The only thing I will mostly miss is my best friend who I worked with my college life. He was one of the most loyal person I met and probably my most loyal fan."

 

"More loyal than your fanbase?" The interviewer said. Yoseob laughed. I knew they were messing with him.

 

"Hmm, I don't think so he's still used to hearing me sing. But I remember he couldn't see me during my opening act for a group in my company. I felt really bad I couldn't make the time to see him before I left." Then Yoseob turned to the camera, eyes focusing in like he was actually staring at me. "If you're watching this, I'll make time! Pray that I do good in the long run, alright? Fighting!"

 

Smiling, I gaze at Nicole and she smiles back, giving me a hug. "He still thinks about you Dongwoon, and cares about you."

 

 

"I know. I'm glad." Looking up at the television again, I smile again looking at Yoseob move on to something else. Watching the line move up, I feel her next to me freeze.

 

 

And from the corner of my eye, I thought I was seeing things. I really did. I saw Chanel standing right next to me. Her ocean wave ombré brown hair was falling past her shoulders and her white Seoul National University hoodie fitted her accordingly. Her light denim skinny jeans and grey Vans made her look better in casual wear than I've ever seen any other girl in. I swallowed a large lump in my throat and turned my head slightly to the right. Does she notice me? She looked like she was in a hurry. No time for talking, no socializing. Just coffee and run. I sighed and ruffled my hair a bit. If only this line just went a little faster—

 

 

“Woon,” Nicole eyes me, and I know it's about her. I wouldn't dare turn my head in her direction. I wanted to hold my breath and stand still like a statue, hoping she wouldn't see me. Nicole's grip on me was tighter than usual. Then suddenly, she smiled and began laughing, when I had never said anything. From the corner of my eye, I knew she was staring. I could feel her eyes burning through me on my side.

 

 

“Babe!” That familiar deep voice made me cringe and I sigh in annoyance. So I guess they are back at it again. “Get me a slice of cake when you're up there!” Ugh. Chanel walks up farther in line and her hair was down this time and silky, smooth. I would be lying if I said she looked hideous. She was gorgeous, but dangerous. A girl hasn't ever made me do a double take, but Chanel, she’s a different story, a whole different genre. She’s something someone over here wouldn’t even bother trying to accustom with. A person who can make you head over heels and keep you on your toes. And someone you could fall in love with instantly.

 

 

But with her ways, she's someone you could be heartbroken by instantly.

 

 

Turning my head towards Nicole, I give her a kiss on the forehead, signifying that I was only for her and then turn my attention towards the woman ahead in line. Looking over at Yongguk, he was staring, eyes the same as they were in the summer. His mouth closed shut, trying to contain all the obscene language he wants to call me. Chanel turns around with a sadden expression, I guess saying things could have been so perfect, so different. I guess so.

 

 

And then I think about all the stuff I went through, and did for her. Then I wondered how I managed with 100 days of Chanel.

 

 

 

fin.

 


 

And so this is it. The end. Or is it? Actually, I'm writing an epilogue and maybe a sequel in the future I'm not sure. But I would love to say thank you to all of my subscribers, upvoters and even the people who just managed to even click on my story. I'm satisified with my first story on here and I know I'll try even harder to make an even better story!

ambw_girl3134   stanleyunique  lovelybug   BangsBooThang     Dubuisclumsy    MonstersEatPeople   laybaby   mroseo626  tlshumphrey   bibisphan   jstylez   kpoplov3r    NikkiG    Nanako   shar74nett    eleventhirty    kdbohannon   Aplusbbc    OreoDreaming    XxSimplySarahxX    lastnamefirst   shikyo13    pyonp2     TheJewelz     princetongirl74   sTeLLaRxFRESH    mcshano8    Briina

Thank you guys for subscribing and thank you to all the future subscribers!