i.

100 Days of Chanel

100 Days of Chanel                                                                                   1


 

 

 

I’m the quiet type. Maybe that’s a little far-fetched since I’m a college student but I don’t think so. I’m not usually the type to go to the college parties down the hall and I don’t ever want to be the type that will be despised by everyone on campus. A typical night for me would be a movie and a cup of espresso. A girl hasn't ever made me do a double take, but Chanel, she’s a different story, a whole different genre. She’s something someone over here wouldn’t even bother trying to accustom with. A person who can make you head over heels and keep you on your toes. And someone you could fall in love with instantly.

 

I was in Starbucks, getting my usual coffee, straight black no sugar. I was standing patiently in line as I placed my hands in my jean pockets. My computer bag was on my right side. The place was busy. Customers were walking in and out of the two story building and high schoolers were in their uniforms, enjoying a small latte. The atmosphere had a fresh scent of mocha and fresh coffee beans being ground inside coffee makers. Hot steam circled around the lower first floor. I checked the time. 6:23. My sudden rush of a need for caffeine went through my body and I got chills.

 

And from the corner of my eye, I thought I was seeing things. I really did. I saw Chanel standing right next to me. Her ocean wave ombré brown hair was falling past her shoulders and her navy blue Seoul National University hoodie fitted her accordingly. And her light denim skinny jeans and grey Vans made her look better in casual wear than I've ever seen any other girl in. I swallowed a large lump in my throat and turned my head slightly to the right. Does she notice me? I thought about speaking first, but I knew for a fact I didn’t have enough will power. She looked like she was in a hurry. No time for talking, no socializing. Just coffee and run. I sighed and ruffled my hair a bit. If only this line just went a little faster—

 

“Dongwoon?” I instantly turned my head, rubbing the back of my neck and gazing into her auburn eyes. My lips managed to crack a smile. She said my name so…softly. “Hi.”

 

“Hey,” I managed to croak out one word at least.

 

“I've never seen you out of the classroom. This is a first.” She brushed back some of her hair and turned her body toward me. I had to swallow again. And remember to breathe. “You’re hiding from me.” Chanel giggled softly and I smiled wide back.

 

“Trust me, I don’t mean to. I’ve been busy with work and I’ve been running around endlessly.” She stared and listened intently. “Um, you come here often?” Great ice breaker, Dongwoon. I placed my hand on my forehead and mentally slapped myself.

 

“Actually, no I don’t.” She twirled her soft curls around her index finger and looked up at me. A small grin formed on her face. “I needed a quick rush. You?”

 

“Oh me? I just come here whenever I can. My job keeps me on my toes.”

 

“You work? Where?” Her voice ended in a high pitch, as if she was really interested in my boring job. Hell, Even I bore myself with thinking about my job.

 

“I give kids music lessons. You know, like, teach them how to sing and play the piano. It really helps them in the future if they’re trying to pursuit a career or something.” Chanel nodded slowly, as if she was soaking all of the information in. I tried to make the description as interesting and short as I could. “Although my singing isn’t the best like some artists I manage.”

 

“Better with something instead of nothing,” she stated, placing her hands on her hips and gazing out into the distance. She then focused her eyes on me. “So you’re into the Arts. My little brother plays piano. I think it’s so cute when he plays. He’s getting piano lessons this summer I’m not sure which studio is teaching him, my parents haven’t chosen.” I only noticed that her side of the line was moving up rather quickly. Chanel had already moved up in line and I still remained in my spot.

 

I looked ahead of me, watching an old guy carry a cardboard four cup carrier and walk away. I rolled my eyes and set my eyes back on her. Although I wanted to keep talking, I knew the main reason why she was in here and it wasn’t for me. When she had finished ordering she turned back around. She waved and then turned back around towards the counter. Immediately, she had got her drink and walked away.

 

Chanel walked up to me, taking a sip of her caramel scented latte before she said, “I guess I’ll see you around campus.” I grinned and looked down at my feet. By the time I looked up, she was gone. Looking left to right she was already walking down the sidewalk. I let out an exasperated sigh.

 

“Yeah…see you.”

 

“Excuse me sir!” I quickly looked up and saw the cashier eagerly waiting for me to move up in line. I could probably tell the people behind me were getting impatient. “How may I help you?”

 

I cleared my throat and said, “Straight black please.”

 

Ж

Seoul National University honors the ideals of liberal education and aims to teach students a lifelong love of learning that will form the basis for continuous and personal growth. To me, it’s just a normal college. My freshman year was filled with many different changes and this university actually helped me. I’ve made new friends, aced an ACT I never knew I could pass in my entire life, and met the girl of my dreams. I take psychology along with a course of music vocal techniques. With my job, I think it correlates quite well. Living on campus is a bit frustrating but I get used to it.

 

I pull into the parking lot of the east dorm building and I notice a huge protesting crowd at the front door. Signs that said, “No more long hours!” were written in huge Hangul were held up and one guy was standing out the most with a blow horn, Hyunseung. Sighing, I slammed my car door and walked towards the front. “What the heck...?” I muttered to myself. As I walked closer the protestors turned around and stared. And as I got closer, Hyunseung grinned. “You know you can get kicked out for this right?”

 

“Not if we start a fight,” he replied. He stepped down from the short wooden crate they had scavenged somewhere. “Listen, do you know how much they're adding to the syllabus this year? Outrageous! I'm taking 6 different courses that are all in the medical field! I can't keep up with that.”

 

“That's why people say, 'choose wisely'.” I shove my way through the crowd, but Hyunseung stopped me by extending his arm out.

 

“If everyone chose wisely, then we wouldn't have as much fun. Wouldn't you think?” I stared at him for a moment. The awkward atmosphere between me, him and the male protesters was starting to piss me off. I thought he would be better than this, especially over some stupid syllabus. He had a point, but not exactly. “Remember that, Sonseuko.” I rolled my eyes and pushed his arms out the way, entering the building.

 

In the lobby there were more people, but I didn't have time for shenanigans again. I headed towards the elevator and I pressed floor 8 on the inside. Standing in the empty elevator, I sipped my coffee and closed my eyes, reminiscing the moment in Starbucks. The sides of my mouth curled up and I leaned back onto the wall of the elevator. Elevator music had always calmed me. And even though I had a hectic day today, the beautiful melody of the piano in the song kept me sane—

 

“Dongwoon, couldn't you at least be on time for things?” I opened my eyes and suddenly saw Doojoon staring at me, along with Gikwang. “We had a reservation at Daedo Sikdang.” I checked the time on my phone and saw it was a quarter past seven.

 

“Oh, I'm sorry I forgot. Let me just put my things up,” I replied, walking past them. The guys all entered the elevator and waited for me. Fresh barbecue sounded delicious right now. The expired taste of coffee in my mouth was starting to make me sick. I threw my bag across the floor of my dorm and then locked up.

 

“C'mon Dongwoon!” Doojoon yelled. “Elevator is closing!”

 

“Coming!” I yelled and ran swiftly ran back in the elevator.

 

 

Ж

 

The dinner table was quiet. I swallowed a bit of soju down and looked up at all of them. Junhyung was scarfing down peices of beef with his metal chopsticks, Doojoon was conversing to Gikwang, and Hyunseung was focused on his iPhone. I gazed at all of them again and sighed. A typical night with the guys and things had never changed. It was always like this every Friday. Steam lifted above the grill and empty plates were scattered and stacked along the table. The restaurant was a bit dimly lit and the large crowd of customers walking about and waiters and waitresses carrying huge plates full of shredded beef was a bit more prominent whan the dinner table I was sitting at. The quiet atmosphere was more awkward than earlier today.

 

"Ah," Junhyung blurted out, mouth full of food. "I heard a couple got jumped today, for being gay. The guys had no chance."

 

"Good riddence, there shouldn't be a lot of those people in our country anyway," Doojoon spat. I glared at him. Hyunseung, who was sitting across from me, lowered his phone, exposing his disturbed facial expression. I pressed my lips together, waiting for the next idiotic reply.

 

"They don't cause trouble. I've seen a few and they only want to fit in that's all. Gays aren't bad people, Doojoon," Hyunseung restated.

 

"Why are you protecting them?" He gazed over at the younger one. Chewing his food he finished with, "What have they done to protect our society? The fact that they openly show love and affection for the same is...unusual. Disgusting actually." A pair of metal chopsticks dropped against a glass plate. I noticed that it was Gikwang. "Wouldn't you feel uncomfortable if one of us at this table were gay?" The table was silent for a moment. And then I thought, this couldn't be happening, right? I thought a guy with a nice brain that goes to one of the top universities here in South Korea would have more common sense than a regular obstinate twenty two year old. "I wouldn't want any of you all hitting on me--"

 

"Doojoon." I stared at Junhyung, who was glaring at the elder. "Enough." There was more silence at the table. I looked at Doojoon for a moment. His face was filled with annoyance. "Not everything is perfect in this country, alright?"

 

"Just saying. I don't need anyone else's opinion at this table to argue with me."

 

Drinking some more, I finished my bottle and pulled out some cash. Even though this friendship between the five of us was sometimes strained and everyone is different at this dinner table, we all know the next day would be fine. Nothing would be out of place. The only thing for Doojoon is soju and food tend to make his mouth run wild. So I took the inevitable of silence and but it beneath all of us, ending the night. 

 

"So, who's paying?"

 


 

Hope this chapter is a great start. Comment, subscribe, upvote please help support my story! An update will take place tomorrow :)