So Near Yet So Far

Troublemaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You felt your throat turn dry as you struggled to come up with some words.

“A-Annyeonghaseyo...” You managed to choke out.

Suddenly noticing your attire, Jonghyun's mother blushed, “Is this a bad time?”

You remembered you were only wearing Yonghwa's shirt and boxers and how it must have looked and you quickly tugged the shirt down to cover more of your thighs.

“Chaesonghamnida,” You quickly apologised. “Chaesonghamnida.”

Jonghyun's mother let out an embarrassed smile, “Why don't you change first and inform Jonghyun that we're here? We'll just wait for you here.”

You nodded and quickly shut the front door.

“What's wrong?” Yonghwa asked as he walked over. “Is Jimin okay?”

You ran to his side immediately and pulled him away from the door.

“It's Jonghyun's parents!” You whispered frantically. “I think they've come to visit! And right now they think I'm with Jonghyun.”

“Why would they think that?” Yonghwa asked.

You shrugged and ran your hand through your hair, frustrated, “Ottokae? They're still waiting outside for me to get changed.”

Yonghwa held your hand and pulled you into his room, “Don't panic. Call Jonghyun now while I search for something you can wear.”

Yonghwa grabbed his phone from his pocket and placed it in your hands and then started rummaging through his closet.

You searched for Jonghyun's number and pressed dial. After a few rings, you heard him pick up and you called out, “Jonghyun ah!”

“Isn't this... hyung's phone?” He asked over the line.

“Listen, your parents are right outside your dorm now.” You explained frantically. “And they think you're in the dorm with me.”

“They're here?” echoed Jonghyun. “I thought they will be arriving tomorrow instead. Well, just tell them I'm not in and invite them in.”

“B-But...” You trailed off.

“But?” probed Jonghyun.

“Do they think we're dating or something?” You asked, lowering your voice.

“Oh,” Jonghyun replied and then took a deep breath, “Yes, they do.”

“Really? Why would they think that?” You asked, darting a look at Yonghwa who had now left the room.

“From all the magazine and newspapers of course.” Jonghyun replied. “They were so happy for me... I couldn't bear to tell them it was all staged.”

Jonghyun sounded a little sad and you found yourself saying, “Okay, I'll play along.”

“Mianhe, I'm on my way back. I'll get back as soon as I can.” Jonghyun replied.

You hung up just in time to see Yonghwa dashing back in.

“I found one of Minhyuk's old t-shirt that's too small for him.” Yonghwa said as he threw the shirt to you and you caught it.

He quickly dug out a pair of shorts from his wardrobe, “And this shorts could probably fit you since it's rubber.”

You recognised the shorts from one of the earlier running man episodes where the losers have to wear hotpants. Thankfully, the shorts was a dull red and not flashy at all.

Closing the door, you turned around and started changing as Yonghwa started throwing his clothes back into the closet.

Thankfully, Minhyuk's childish Cookie Monster t-shirt was just a little baggy and the shorts could fit.

“What do I say if they saw Jonghyun isn't here?” You asked.

“Just tell them Jonghyun went out to buy food and you're waiting for him here.” Yonghwa said as he continued to pack his closet.

“What about you?” You asked softly.

“I'm just going to pretend I've been in my room all along.” Yonghwa said as he finally closed his closet door.

You felt bad for Yonghwa but before you have any time to apologise, you heard the knocking of the front door.

Rushing out, you opened the door to let Jonghyun's parents in.

“Chaesonghamnida.” You apologised again as they walked across the room and sat down on the sofa.

His mother smiled, “It's okay. Where's Jonghyun?”

“He went out to buy food.” You lied as you walked into the kitchen.

You came out with their drinks and set it down on the coffee table and took a seat.

“Are any of the boys in?” Jonghyun's mother asked as she peered around the dorm.

Just as she finished her sentence, Yonghwa's door opened and he stepped out, looking as though he had just woken up.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” Yonghwa feigned surprise. “I didn't know you were here.”

Jonghyun's mother chuckled, “You just woke up?”

“Neh,” Yonghwa replied and let out a yawn.

“What time is Jonghyun coming back?” Jonghyun's father asked.

“Soon, I think.” You replied, clasping your hands nervously.

“Yah, look at our boy all grown up,” Jonghyun's mother said to her husband. “He would never buy food home for anyone but look how he has changed for her.”

You forced a smile on your face as Jonghyun's parents beamed at you fondly.

“Come here and sit down, Yonghwa-ah,” Jonghyun's mother laughed. “Don't just stand there.”

Yonghwa obeyed and sat down beside you. The both of you were very careful to leave a space in between and you quickly tucked your knees together, careful of not coming into any contact with him. You felt as though even a small touch from Yonghwa would result in Jonghyun's parents discovering the truth.

“So is it your rest day today?” Jonghyun's father asked.

“Neh.” Both you and Yonghwa replied.

“Oh, that's great. We were thinking of touring Seoul for a bit. Why don't the both of you join us?” Jonghyun's father asked.

You were thinking of how to refuse when the front door opened and Jonghyun stepped in.

“Appa, omma,” He greeted his parents and closed the door behind them. “I mixed up and thought you two will be visiting tomorrow instead.”

Jonghyun's mother laughed, “It's okay. We're just asking the both of them to join us for today.”

Jonghyun's eyes landed on you and Yonghwa and you could see him raising his eyebrows at your shirt, which he could recognise that it belonged to Minhyuk.

“I have some composing left to do.” Yonghwa replied. “So I can't go.”

“I have to practice my song today.” You chimed in.

You could see Jonghyun's parents crestfallen faces and you felt guilty for lying to them.

“Come on, today is for resting. Not working.” Jonghyun's mother cajoled.

“We wouldn't want to interrupt your family time.” Yonghwa declined politely.

Jonghyun's mother let out a laugh, “Interrupt? We've known you for so long, Yonghwa-ah. You're like a brother to Jonghyun!”

“And you,” Jonghyun's mother turned to face you. “You are already staying over with Jonghyun. You're almost my daughter-in-law!”

You almost choked at her words and you could see Jonghyun's confused expression. But being clever and cautious, Jonghyun made no reaction to what his mother just said.

“Come on, are you going to disappoint us?” Jonghyun's mum asked.

“W-Well, okay.” You replied and Yonghwa also nodded reluctantly.

“Yah, Jonghyun ah, where's the food you bought?” Jonghyun's father asked suddenly as he noticed his son's empty hands.

“What food?” Jonghyun asked, bewildered.

Jumping up from the sofa, you laughed, “I think the cake shop must have been closed!”

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows but then nodded slowly, “Neh, it's closed.”

“I'll check you two in a hotel first while they can get ready.” Jonghyun said to his parents and then turned to you and Yonghwa, “Let's meet at Dongdaemun.”

After the three of them left the room, you turned to Yonghwa immediately, “I'm only going because I don't want to disappoint them.”

“I know.” Yonghwa replied and the both of you fell silent.

“I'm going upstairs to shower. Call me when you're ready so we can leave.” You said and left the dorm.

 

=======================================================

 

“Is it okay for us to be out like this without Manager Kim?” You asked uncertainly as you and Yonghwa sat inside the cab on your way to Dongdaumun.

Once the both of you entered a cab, the both

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter