One Step Forward

Troublemaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You blew puffs of warm air on to your hands as you made your way to the coffee house you always visited. The evening sun had set and you had just got off from work. Winter was approaching and it had been a little more than a year when you left Seoul. You were still working well in the advertising company your cousin had recommended you in. After leaving Seoul, you devoted yourself into work and avoided anything related to Kpop. You were still afraid of hearing his name. Everytime something related to CN Blue comes up on the TV or radio, you would quickly switch to another channel. And it was quite often you were doing that as CN Blue was quite big in Japan.

Right after your first month in Tokyo, you had stupidly misplaced your phone and all your contacts went missing. You managed to find FNC's contact number online and called them asking for Manager Kim's number but the receptionist would not divulge and then proceeded to label you as a CN Blue stalker. Even though you had explained to her who you were, she still kept her lips sealed.

Eventually, you had no choice but to leave your number and tell her to let Manager Kim know that you called looking for him and he would be able to contact you through your new number. You never got any call back from Manager Kim and since then, you haven't spoken to Jimin, Jonghyun and the rest for a year.

As you stepped into the warm coffee house, you spotted your colleague waving frantically at you.

“Yah, I got us seats!” Jihoon waved.

He was the very first friend you made as he was a korean and he was also the one who showed you the ropes in the company. You knew he always had a crush on you and no matter how many times you had gently rejected him, he still seemed persistent.

“Would you like the usual?” He smiled as you took your seat next to him.

“Neh,” You smiled. “Gomawo.”

He nodded and left to order the coffees, leaving you alone. You couldn't help but think of Yonghwa everytime you enter a coffeeshop. You couldn't help it as everyone knew Yonghwa's great love for coffee.

Jihoon soon returned with two steaming mugs of coffee.

“So, have you decided to come to the company trip?” Jihoon asked.

You shrugged, “I still have so much paperwork to clear.”

“Come on,” He cajoled. “You've been working too hard! Besides, don't you think it's a good chance for us to be there?”

You raised your eyebrows and he continued, “With the snow and hot springs, what could be more romantic?”

You shot him a glare as he grinned cheekily.

“Yah, yah, yah,” You smacked his arm. “Stop your nonsense.”

Jihoon pouted, “I don't understand why you've still not fallen for me. Hundreds of girls would be dying to be in your place, you know.”

You laughed at his words. It was true. Jihoon was very good looking and most of the female employees in your office has a crush on him. Initially, you thought he was a player but then you realised that he was genuinely nice and friendly to everyone.

You took another sip of your coffee and looked up just in time to see two familiar faces stepping into the coffee house. Your eyes widened as the two people's gaze landed on you.

“Manager Kim, Jonghyun!” You stood up immediately as the two men rushed forward.

“Yah, where have you been?” Manager Kim scolded you lightly and then gave you a hug. “You made us so worried, did you know that!”

“Chaesonghamnida,” You replied as the both of you broke apart. “My phone went missing and I had to get a new number. I lost all of your numbers.”

You then turned to Jonghyun who was staring at you. It was a little strange to see him after so long and you felt yourself tear up instantly. Without another word, Jonghyun hugged you tightly.

“I've missed you.” Jonghyun said, his voice shaky.

“Me too.” You choked out. “A lot.”

The both of you realised that people were starting to stare and quickly broke apart. Jihoon seemed confused but he smiled politely at the two men nonetheless.

“Ah, you have company...” Manager Kim said. “I was still hoping we could talk for a while since it's been so long.”

Your eyes drifted to Jihoon and he could see how happy you were to see them and he nodded.

“Don't worry,” He smiled at you. “Have fun catching up with your friends. Let's talk again tomorrow.”

You shot him a grateful smile and watched him leave as Jonghyun and Manager Kim took their seats.

“What are you doing here?” You blurted out immediately.

“We're having a concert in Tokyo this Sunday.” Jonghyun explained.

“How have you been?” Manager Kim asked.

You smiled, “I've been good. Work is going well and I've made a lot of friends.”

Manager Kim's eyes twinkled, “So who's that guy? I noticed he can speak korean really well.”

You laughed, “He's just a colleague. He's from Seoul too! How's everyone? How's Jimin?”

Manager Kim smiled, “Jimin's busy promoting her solo album along with CN Blue now. Jungshin and Minhyuk have some new dramas coming up and Jonghyun here is still busy making music. But Yonghwa hasn't been well.”

You quickly changed the subject, “So how long will you all be here?”

The two men stared at you and then Jonghyun finally said, “We'll be here for a week.”

“Ah, I see...” You smiled and took another sip of your coffee.

Manager Kim let out a sigh and looked at you seriously, “Ever since you left, Yonghwa is not the same anymore.”

You looked up but remained silent and Manager Kim continued, “All he does is mope around and the songs he composed are way too depressing to be put into the album.”

“He just needs a little more time...” You said softly.

“He doesn't need time. He needs you.” Manager Kim replied. “Isn't there any way the two of you can work things out?”

Jonghyun turned to you, “You still think that being with him is going to affect his career, isn't it?”

You said nothing so Jonghyun continued, “Nobody is talking about that incident anymore. It's been so long.”

You eventually shook your head, “I'm happy here with my new life. I just want to remain like this.”

You could see the disappointment in Manager Kim and Jonghyun's eyes but they said nothing more to persuade you.

“Ah,” Jonghyun said suddenly as he looked at his watch. “We have to go attend an interview soon.”

Manager Kim sprang up from his chair, “Ah! I almost forgot!”

You quickly exchanged numbers with Manager Kim and Jonghyun and they left after Manager Kim informed you that all of them are staying in the Hilton hotel and Jimin would definitely be happy if you could visit her tonight. He even told you Jimin's room number saying that she had missed you so much.

You felt guilty immediately as you thought of your best friend feeling worried and upset wondering where you had disappeared to for a year. Since it was only 8 pm, you decided to pay Jimin a little surprise visit. Hilton hotel wasn't far and you eventually reached there in fifteen minutes.

As you entered the revolving doors of the hotel, your heart started thumping wildly against your chest as you felt both nervous and excited to see your best friend. It had been one year and you wondered how much Jimin had changed. You entered the elevator and finally arrived at the floor Jimin was staying.

Your heels made no noise as you walked across the carpeted corridor and finally arrived at room 1128. You raised your knuckles and knocked on the door nervously. After a few seconds, the door opened.

“Jungshin-ah, you-”

Jimin's stopped in midsentence as her jaw dropped once she laid eyes on you.

“Annyeong.” You smiled.

Before you knew it, Jimin had thrown herself into your arms and was now sobbing hysterically.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter