Chapter 7

Before I Say Goodbye

"Argh " Haeyeon groaned in pain as she tries to get up. She turns her body so that she could sit properly . She brushed off the dirt on her arms and body as she trails the little scratch marks on her bare elbows.

Her forehead roughened as she realise how clumsy she was to get herself in the situation. She tried to stand but soon stumble back onto the ground. A shot of sting felt through the lower part of her left leg as she saw that her left knee had been badly injured.

" " she cursed. She must has knocked herself on a hard rock when she fell. She looks around for help. If she shouts, she doesn't think anyone will hear her.

" Damn, how do I get up now ? " she muttered angrily.

She stare at her wounded knee. It is dirty with soil and red with blood. Haeyeon quickly look away because she feels like throwing up any second. She holds her knee till her palm tainted with blood , trying to reduce the pain.

She sighed apologetically to herself. She wonders if someone notices she's missing.

 

 

Baekhyun wanders around the campsite, craning and dipping his head to look for certain someone. But whenever people ask what he's looking for, he'll just shrugged off saying nothing. He notices something from a while ago.

Haeyeon is missing.

And he didn't have a good feeling about it. As he always peeks and glances at Haeyeon everytime -not that his friends know- he realizes that she's nowhere to be seen.

He walks over to Eunhae and Jaehyun. He could tell from earlier that Haeyeon shares tent with them.

" Hey, girls " Baekhyun called. The two girls were giggling together when they turn to the voice. " Oh, hey Baekhyun " Eunhae smiled.

Baekhyun replies the smile and continues " Have you seen Haeyeon ? " he asked.

" Haeyeon ? " Eunhae mumbled and she and Jaehyun look around. Jaehyun spoke next " Well, she went to pick up firewoods earlier. But I guess it's been almost 2 hours, she must have been back "

Baekhyun's brows met at center as he concentrates on thinking. If Haeyeon wasn't back for the last 2 hours it must only mean one thing.

She is lost. And what worse, she's by herself.

Baekhyun dashed off from them and begins to run into the forest, disappearing into the numerous trees. Eunhae and Jaehyun watched him away with utter confusion on their faces.

 

Baekhyun look around slowly behind the trees, in case that he misses Haeyeon somewhere. He scolded himself at the moment because he didn't report it to the teacher first earlier. He just ran because his feet told him to.

As he neared somewhere, he hurt grunts. His head shot right to the left as he saw a figure sitting helplessly on the ground while holding one knee.

He quickly ran and squatting next to her.

" Haeyeon, are you okay ? " he asked worriedly.

Haeyeon was surprise when someone just came beside her out of nowhere. She sighed in relief when she sees Baekhyun. At least she's safe now.

" Mhm " Haeyeon nodded as she stares at Baekhyun, feeling touched that he actually came.

Baekhyun stare at her wounded knee and look back at her eyes. " Could you stand? " he asked , as he holds onto Haeyeon's forearm.

" I think so " Haeyeon's voice came out so soft that Baekhyun thought she was some other girl, not Park Haeyeon he knew at school.

As Haeyeon was sitting at the edge of a slightly short cliff, Baekhyun stood at the higher ground to help her up.

As she completely stood up, with Baekhyun holding onto both of her forearms strongly , the painful sting run through her legs again making her yelp in pain and stumble backwards , pulling Baekhyun with her.

They slightly rolled down and slide together down the short cliff and unfortunately dirty themselves with mud.

They both groaned and trying hard to sit up properly. " Sorry " Haeyeon said and pulls strands of hair from her face. " It's okay " Baekhyun replied and touched his aching shoulder.

Haeyeon saw scratches on Baekhyun's cheeks and scooted closer to him. Baekhyun widens his eyes a bit nervously as he notices she coming closer. Haeyeon came really close to his cheek and yes , there are red scratches.

" You're hurt " she said but somehow that time Baekhyun felt like he had been zapped by lightning through his body, feeling her voice so close to him. Not to mention, Haeyeon was being extra soft suddenly.

Baekhyun hadn't been this close to girls for a long time. The last time was with his last girlfriend 7 months ago but even that time he never felt this way.

Baekhyun shifts backwards, away from her and cleared his throat. " You're the one who's hurt " he said sternly. And the next thing he receives was the most surprising that ever occured to him since 4 months ago, when his younger sister told him she has a boyfriend.

Haeyeon laughs.

" Gosh, you look weird when you looking stern , Baekhyun. And with the branches and dried leaves stuck on your hair " she said and stifle a laughter. Her laughter wasn't hurt , but he knew she was laughing because her body was moving and she's smiling while looking at him.

And it was so beautiful Baekhyun forgot to breathe for a moment.

" You got some too !" he quickly said , pointing to her messy hair. Possibly hiding his slightly blushing cheeks away from her.

Haeyeon's lip puckered a bit as she shruggs " I bet I still look pretty though "

Baekhyun laughs " Since when were you so confident ? "

Haeyeon shot him a look " I'm always confident " she said, raising her eyebrows.

Baekhyun thought of something to reply but couldn't think of anything " Fine " his shoulders deflated and rolls his eyes. Haeyeon smiles a bit in satisfaction.

Baekhyun stood up, brushing his pants and hair , and approached her. " Can you stand now ? " he asked and Haeyeon look back at her knee which has gotten more worse than earlier. Funny how she didn't feel anything just now.

" I'm not sure now " she murmured.

Baekhyun held her up and she endure the sting on her knee as she stood again. She held onto his shirt and close her eyes tightly.

Baekhyun notices the painful look on her face " Do you want me to carry you ?". Haeyeon snaps back to look at him and quickly shakes her head " No ! I can still walk slowly " she said . Seriously , she's not a to burden him more after she pulled them together and got him hurt too.

" Okay " Baekhyun nods briefly. He pulled her arms over his shoulder and holds onto her waist as she starts to walk -more like limping- , while holding onto him.

Haeyeon looks up a bit to him who's slightly taller than her while walking and blushed when she realizes that she's so close to his body right now. When was the last time she's been this close to a guy? Sort of 3 years ago.

" You know .." Baekhyun spoke while looking forward. Haeyeon waited for him to speak. " I think it will be faster if I just carry you " he stated honestly.

Haeyeon shakes her head vigorously. " You came to me, and fell because of me. I guess that's enough. I don't want to owe so much " she said honestly , while staring blankly ahead.

He glance at her and smiled. How can he forgot? Park Haeyeon isn't someone who would ask for help even if she needs it because she dislikes to owe people.

 

 

Baekhyun regretted for not just forcefully carry her back to the campsite because boy , that took forever. Because she was limping, they  had to walk so slowly. But fortunately they finally arrived.

" Mr Kang, Haeyeon's hurt " Baekhyun told the teacher told him where the first aid kit is. He seated Haeyeon on the wooden short table , where the students prepare food , and left to get the first aid.

Haeyeon bit her lip in pain and  straighten her legs to reduce the sting. She felt someone was staring at her so she look up to the right. Kai was standing there with a bowl of chopped carrots and he's staring at her.

Haeyeon bit her lip harder, remembering the morning's incident. " You're hurt" he suddenly stated and approach her closer. Haeyeon stays quiet.

He walks closer and sit beside her , leaving some gap between them . " Hey " he started while spinning the bowl in his hands. " I'm sorry about this morning. I didn't expect someone would told me off anyway " he said and chuckles a bit.

Haeyeon turns slowly and look at his side profile. She never notices he was this good-looking. Kai suddenly turns to her and smiled. She quickly look away and cleared . " Yeah, I'm sorry too. " she said.

" Mm ? " Kai hummed weirdly, probably didn't understand why she apologized. " For thinking lowly of you " she continued. Kai nods briskly. " So "

Haeyeon turns to look at him " You got a thing going on with Baekhyun ? " he asked with raised brows.

" Eh  ? " she replied, puzzled.

Kai has been wondering a bit about it. Baekhyun's the one who pulls her away from him when he was burning angry. Baekhyun always looks over to Haeyeon's tent when the were setting up theirs. Baekhyun came out of the forest with limping Haeyeon and Baekhyun went with the teacher to take the first aid for Haeyeon. What the hell?

" Kai, what are you doing here ? " Baekhyun asked weirdly when he saw they were sitting next to each other when just this morning they almost kill each other with their gazes.

Kai glance up and shrugg " Just chilling with my new friend " he sat and stood up. He pats Baekhyun's arm before he strode off away from them.

They both look him went away with puzzlement. " Did something happen between you two ? " Baekhyun asked, a bit worried if they possibly argue again because one thing he knew Haeyeon and Kai both have laser mouths.

" Not really " she answered. Baekhyun shrugged and sat beside her ; opening the first aid kit. He started treating her knee with care. It suppose to feel hurt  , for Haeyeon but she didn't really notice because she was staring at him all the time. No one had shown care for her for so long and this feeling at the moment is amazing she wanted to receive it everyday.

She watched as he neatly wrapping bandages around her knee and treating her arms with the red scratches. " Done " he said and gave her a sincere smile.

Haeyeon stares at him for a moment and pick up a plaster from the kit. " How come all these plasters are pink ? " Haeyeon mumbled as she stick it carefully onto the red scratches on his cheeks.

Baekhyun blushed as she was closed to him that time. He pulled her hands away from him " Because girls who usually got injured? " he answered. Haeyeon tsk-ed " Yeah " she said as she looks blankly ahead again.

" It looks good on you " she said with a slight smirk as she shot him a look. Baekhyun was puzzled " What ? "

" Pink "

He rolls his eyes and stifles a chuckle  while looking at her. He loves this atmosphere around them ; so calm. And he starting to like her humour.