Chapter 11

Before I Say Goodbye
" Let's sing " Baekhyun blurted in thought. Haeyeon snaps her head back to look at him " What ? " she asked , frowning confusedly. 
 
Baekhyun turned to her " Let's sing a song. Then when it stops to one of this road, we'll walk that road " he said , with eyes flickered wide in suggestion. 
 
"Are you kidding me ?! " Haeyeon snaps. " What if it is the wrong one ?" she said scoldingly. He gave her a sheepish look " We could try " 
 
" Then regrets halfway ? No way ! " she said , waving her hand in disapproval.
 
He falls silent. She was right. " Then what should we do ? " he asked. Haeyeon sighs " That was what I'm asking " she breathed. She stamped her feet time to time " I don't like this. Should we walk back ? " she said nervously , eyes filled with worry. Damn the darkness which makes her so nervous. 
 
Baekhyun's eyes softens " Relax. Let's just wait " 
 
Haeyeon shakes her head " I don't like the dark " she said . Baekhyun ruffles his pocket and notices he brought his phone, he pulls it out and shows it to her ; with the lights on the screen. " I brought my phone " 
 
She sighs desperately again. " I brought mine too, Baekhyun " she said , and she almost wanted to laugh at his face. She could see he's trying so hard to take care of her and she found it cute. She quickly shook off the thought. 
 
" Then, why aren't you using it ? We can use it for lights " he said. " Too little light is creepier than none " she muttered. She always had this imagination if she flashed the light to somewhere and a scary figure appear ahead of her. And then she would faint and that figure bring her somewhere with no people and she can't find her way home and- she really need to stop. It's not helping with that scary imagination in this situation.
 
" Let's wait for Kai. He walks after us remember ? He'll arrive here in few " he assured . Haeyeon exhaled, finally calming down a bit. She's grateful that she's here with Baekhyun and not alone. She shouldn't burden him any further. 
 
Haeyeon notices he was taking good care of her. He's the one who came looking for her when no one was when she fell alone in the forest. He didn't scold or yell at her with annoy when she was scared along their walk together. Haeyeon was sure she hurt him with her words a few times now, but he's still treating her the same. People usually holds grudge- like her, Haeyeon does holds grudge to people who dare to hurt her feelings. But Baekhyun doesn't seem to holds grudge towards her eventhough she often talks lowly of him and pushed him away. 
 
Haeyeon was lost alone in her thoughts about him that she didn't notice she was staring at him. 
Baekhyun realizes she was staring for quite some time now, and he stares back at her. They stood like that for a couple of minutes , mesmerizing each other's eyes in the darkness , helped by a little light from the moon. 
 
She just realizes he is this handsome- she always acknowledge that Baekhyun is good-looking but never really study his face up close till now. 
 
Baekhyun didn't know why. The silence kept pushing him to go closer to her ; he wants to hold her hand again, he wants her to jump and hug him again. The silence were making his heart beats crazily fast that he feels troubled to breathe for a second as he kept blinking his eyes every few seconds so that she wouldn't notice. 
 
Baekhyun eyed her flawless face. He always knew he felt something for her, but this time it's stronger. He gulped and finally look away. If he keeps staring at her any longer, his heart might burst. 
 
" Baekhyun ? " he looks up when he heard familiar voice. 
 
Kai and Chanyeol emerged slowly from the dark and wide smiles were plastered on their faces. " Hey! It is you! What are you two doing here ? " Chanyeol asked with his cheerful tone. How can he even sound thrilled at almost midnight. 
 
Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a weird look. " How come you're with Kai ? Aren't you guys suppose to be with the female partners ? " he asked. " We have our ways. " Kai said and wriggled his brows together with Chanyeol like idiots. 
 
Haeyeon smiled at their behaviour. Baekhyun rolls his eyes. " Whatever. We actually were waiting for you " he said. Haeyeon nods.
 
" Ayeee! You don't have to say that. I know you two were having the best time alone together right ? Who knows what did you guys do in the dark " Kai teased and nudged Chanyeol. 
 
Haeyeon and Baekhyun flushed soft pink ; but sure wasn't seen in the dark. Of course they did nothing inappropriate, but Haeyeon blushed at the thought that she was examining his features a while ago. 
 
She clears . " Actually, we don't know which road to take " she said as she pointed to the two roads ahead of them. 
 
The two guys craned their necks to see behind her. " Oh, that road. Don't you know? The teacher said 'Always take right' " Kai said as he gave Baekhyun a look like that was the easiest task ever. They just need to always take right. 
 
Well, maybe the two were lost in their thoughts together to even hear the instructions. 
 
 
 
 
The walk with Chanyeol and Kai was not scary at all. They kept talking , laughing and joking around that Haeyeon didn't even need to care about the surroundings. She giggled once in a while too when they made funny statements. She never felt this free for the past moments.
 
She also notices that they always tease Baekhyun the most , like he was the weakest of all. She smiles secretly when she sees him protesting with his friends about whatever they were teasing him about. She doesn't feel that way. For Haeyeon , he is not weak. 
 
Baekhyun works hard and she could feel he was sincere. Why did he even waste his energy before to run after her in the forest ? Why did he even talks to her when all she does is pushed him away? 
 
One thing that Haeyeon knew now is that ; Baekhyun is a good friend. And she doesn't even think of pushing him any further.
 
When they arrived at the campsite after the long walk , they said their goodnights. When he was about to go away , she called after him. 
 
He turned to look at her with his soft look. 
 
" Thanks for helping me at the forest. " she said. He nods.
 
" And for treating my wound ". He nods.
 
" And for keeping up with my girlish screams." He laughs but he nods anyway. 
 
" I'll repay you. " she said. Baekhyun smiled " No need to. I was sincere " 
 
" No. I wanted to. " she said. Baekhyun his teeth and thought for a while. " How ? " he asked. 
 
" I'll tell you later " she replied. He grins " Okay, Haeyeon " 
 
Her inside tingles with warmth when he called her name. She smiled and turn around to walk back to her tent. Along the few feets to her tent, she still had the smile on her face. 
 
She never smiles so much in a day for so long. 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun put down his bags beside his bed. He took off his jacket and put it on the chair. He was feeling tired in the bus and he wants to continue sleeping after last night's walk. He took his towel from his closet. His phone suddenly beeped of incoming message. 
 
He slides open calmly, wondering who it might be. 
 
 
From : Haeyeon
How about this Saturday at a cafe near school ? My treat. 
 
 
He chuckles to himself with happiness. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks for the comments and for reading :)