Chapter 13

Before I Say Goodbye

The house seems quiet as she steps inside her house. She remembers Chanyeol's house and how cozy it feels eventhough it was much smaller than her big house. She walks towards the stairs and her mom popped out of nowhere on the top of the stairs. " Oh, Haeyeon. You're home. " she said in her motherly like voice. Her mother didn't treat her harshly but still differently . She's not loving towards her and she also offends her most of the time. It's like she's not perfect to be her daughter.

Haeyeon could only nod in response and her mother taps her finger on the railings. It was awkward for her too, considering it is her own daughter but since she and Haeyeon don't talk much , it is weird to confront. " Appa is working overseas for two weeks and I hope you will listen to me as well as you listen to appa, okay ? " she said carefully as she studies her daughter's straight face.

" Ne " Haeyeon simply replied. She didn't even give a glance at her mother as she walks up the stairs and passes by Mrs Park. Mrs Park watch as Haeyeon walks away from her into the hallway without sparing her a glance. She unknowingly sighed and walks down the stairs.

Haeyeon pushed open her bedroom door with much strength and locks it. She breathe in heavily as she opens her water bottle on her study desk. She took out two tabs of painkillers that she bought and gulped it down with the water. She breathed out heavily afterwards. She grabs onto her chair and leans to her table. The pain soon slowly fade away and she sighed again.

" What's wrong with me ? " she mumbled as she shook her head ; assuring herself it was just a normal headache. She feels a bit tired and since it is Saturday and her father was not home, she thought she could take a little evening nap before dinner.

 

 

 

 

Haeyeon without notice had slept for more than three hours. A knock suddenly could be heard on her door. She moved in her sleep but still wasn't awake. " Haeyeon. " Mrs Park called as she knocked on the her door several times making her stirred more in her sleep. " Park Haeyeon ! " she called louder.

Haeyeon sighed and she quickly got up from her bed. She opens the door to see her mother still standing there, in front of her door. Haeyeon is someone who doesn’t talk much with her parents. She will only answers when being asked and won’t questioned anything because they wouldn’t listen to her anyway so why would she waste her saliva asking when they don’t have the slightest bit interest in her beside not getting her be a disgrace to this family. She stayed silent in front of her mother without a word. Her eyes still half close and she looks blankly somewhere else but not her mother.

“ Ergh, look at you. “ her mom said as she eyed Haeyeon from head to toe. Her hair messed up from her sleep and her eyelids still not fully open.  “ You still didn’t change clothes from before yet ? “ she asked with a scolding look . Haeyeon didn’t answer and her mother sighed. She knows too well how her first daughter behave towards her. Haeyeon wouldn’t look at her or talk to her. She mostly sees Haeyeon when she does her house chores and go to school in the morning, besides that she stayed in her bedroom.

“ Go clean yourself and come down for dinner “ her mom said and Haeyeon’s eyes immediately open fully as she registered fully what her mother had said. She wasn’t suppose to sleep too much because she’s suppose to prepare for dinner. It’s her daily routine, she’s in charge of cooking in this house. Her  father didn’t want any maids in the house since he doesn’t like outsiders lingering around in his house; her father doesn’t trust people. So, it was always Haeyeon who’s doing the house chores. But every week her mother would call someone to clean the garden and the pool since it’s hard for Haeyeon to do it.

*Aren’t I suppose to prepare dinner ?* she thought to herself. She wanted to ask her mother but she rarely talks to her about unimportant things so she just went back in her room to clean herself. She changed into a comfortable light blue sweater and long grey leggings. She walks down the stairs quickly and to the kitchen to find the food already served on the table. She stares at it long with confusion. One thing she knows about that her mother can’t cook. Besides her in this family who can cook , her father can too.

She eyed her mother who’s already on the table , getting ready to eat. Her sisters were already there too. “ What are you doing standing there. Come sit “ her mother said and she just followed her order as she took her seat without uttering a word.  She doesn’t care to ask who made this dinner so she just begins to eat. “ Without apologizing that you’re late for dinner , daebak “ she heard Sunmi spoke.

She could feel her sister smirk at her but she didn’t turn to look at her. She felt nothing when Sunmi tries to offend her because she didn’t need  it. She understands that Sunmi always tries to hurt her feelings but Haeyeon chose not to get it to her. She put on a straight face as she mouth a spoonful of rice into .

Sunmi scoffs lightly at her sister’s behaviour. Haeyeon always treat like she’s not there. Heck, she treats everyone in the family like that. It’s just that she didn’t know that Haeyeon was always hurt by them that’s why she chose not to.

In just a few minutes , Haeyeon done eating . She stood up from her seat and brings her plate to the sink and clean them quietly. Minji , Mrs Park and Sunmi followed her figure with their eyes. It was always quiet when Haeyeon joins them. They followed her with their eyes as she begins to walk out the kitchen. “ You need to clean the other dishes too “ Sunmi voiced again trying to get her sister’s attention.

And it did, Haeyeon did stop in her tracks. She turns to face Sunmi completely, and Sunmi was staring at her with big eyes. “ I know that. Why do you bother to say that when you know the dishes always been cleaned by me ? “ Haeyeon said as she gaze straight into Sunmi’s eyes. Sunmi feels offended by her words and her look though Haeyeon was just looking straight at her without any expression but it did pierce right through her heart.

Haeyeon spun around and left the kitchen completely and locks herself in her bedroom like always.

 

 

 

 

The next day, Haeyeon got up early to prepare breakfast. She tied her hair into a messy bun and walks out of her bedroom. The hallway of the rooms are so quiet since no one is up yet. She walks down quietly and begins to prepare for breakfast. She settles alone on the table and eat her breakfast first since she doesn’t really want to confront her mother and sisters later. They wouldn’t talk to her anyway so why she bother to stay with them in the same place.

While she was busy munching on her breakfast , her mother appeared  in the kitchen ; looking fresh after bathe. Her mother eyed her “ You didn’t bathe yet ? “ she asked. Haeyeon as always didn’t look at her , but she did reply with a shake of her head. Her mother nodded , a little bit satisfied that her daughter replied with a gesture. Haeyeon was actually surprised her mother got up early on Sundays. She wanted to ask but decided to just stay quiet.

“ Sunmi is going to the salon today. I can’t accompany her since I have to meet up with my friends “ her mother said as she settled down in the seat in front of Haeyeon . Haeyeon just listened without saying anything. She just think she knew what her mother is trying to say. “ Go and accompany Sunmi to the salon. It’s dangerous for her to go alone “her mother said.

And she’s right. She finished her breakfast and walks to the sink. “ You will go right ? “ her mother asked again. Haeyeon wiped her hands to the side of her sweater and nodded to her mother “ Ne “ she replied and leave the kitchen.

Mrs Park watched as Haeyeon went away and sighed. “ When will she change ? “ 

 

 

 

She was waiting for Sunmi on the waiting seats behind . The hairdresser were busy doing Sunmi’s hair which Haeyeon didn’t even know what she wanted to change about since she thought that her sister’s hair was beautiful enough. Haeyeon unconciously  touched her hair. She didn’t go to a salon to do her hair for years. She just went to a salon to cut  her hair when it was growing too long .

Sunmi glanced at the reflection of Haeyeon in the mirror. She was looking obviously bored. Sunmi smirked to herself. “ You can go walk around if you’re bored. But make sure to come here back within two hours “ Sunmi said and Haeyeon scoffed lightly with the commanding tone in her voice. Haeyeon is the big sister here, but Sunmi commands her as she wants like she’s the princess; which practically she is by the way her family treats her.

Seeing that her sister didn’t reply and ignoring her, she felt embarrassed by the look the hairdresser giving her. She cleared ; feeling a bit irritated. “ You should by  yourself some clothes too “  Sunmi spoke again, trying to offend her sister in any way possible. But as expected , Haeyeon doesn’t affected by it.

Haeyeon just rolled her eyes and stood up. Yes, she was bored like hell though they were just there for forty minutes with Sunmi talking what style would she like to the hairdresser. She walks out of the salon and Sunmi watched her reflection as her sister finally gone out of her sight.

Haeyeon walks around as she looks at the mannequins with new arrivals outfits. She walks casually while window shopping. She thought Sunmi was right. She should try to buy herself some clothes though she sometimes feel that she doesn’t want to use the card her father gave her. She tried to act like she hates the family so much that’s why she never used the card for unnecessary things such as shoes, bags and clothes like her sisters did. She doesn’t want to feel debt to her father for allowing her to have those.

While she was walking she notices two familiar figures walking together. Her feet quickly walk to that direction with a beat of excitement in her heart. “ Baekhyun. Chanyeol “ she called and the two guys turned to look at her with a surprise expression.