Chapter 24

Unexpected Joy

 

Zico’s POV

.I cursed to myself when I saw them. What were they doing here? I slowly walked backwards and prayed that I could find a way to escape before my back hit the wall, closing me in with them forever. I looked around everywhere, trying to think of some way to escape. They were still a few feet away from me, so I could manage to escape before my back hit the wall. But before I knew it, I heard the thud of my back hitting the wall. My eyes widened, showing my obvious fear. I heard one of them chuckle.

They didn’t understand that it wasn’t fear for me. No, I could care less about what happened to me. All I could think about was SunMi. I promised her I’d be there when she woke up. I didn’t want to break my word; I never wanted to break my word or even hurt her.

Another thing bothered me. She had said “I love you” countless times to me, and I never said it back to her. I didn’t want to leave without her knowing how special she was to me. That would be worse than never knowing her.

They were inching in closer, their mouths spreading into grins of satisfaction, knowing they’d get to me.

“Look, the pretty little girl’s scared.” One of them said, in grim humor.

“Poor baby.” Another one said as he reached for something in his pocket. As soon as he pulled it out, I recognized it to be a switchblade. I gulped and closed my eyes, praying that I could see SunMi one last time. The one who was their leader put his hand on the blade, blocking it from me.

“Now, now, where would the fun be if we killed him right away?” He said, taking the object in his hand and tossing it up and down, a grin never leaving his face. “It’s like animals in the wild. We have to taunt them before we finish them off.” The others figured out what he was getting at, and grinned along with him. I closed my eyes, expecting a sharp blow to hit my face, but it hit my gut instead. I choked as the wind got knocked out of me. I wondered how long I would be able to handle their beating before I finally gave up.

The funniest thing was that Eunjung stood there and watched.

After she ed up my life, she decided it would be okay to watch me lose it.

SunMi’s POV

It wasn’t until I was in a full sprint when the nurses and other patients had taken notice that I was heading out.

“Miss Park!” I heard them yell and scream after me, but I didn’t listen to their cries. I was only focused on one thing, and that thing could determine my happiness and my will. I wanted to find Zico. To save him.

It probably wasn’t possible at all, but I wanted to see him. I wanted to hold him.

I didn’t want him to leave me, ever.

I was quickly running out of breath, and the scrubs they gave me at the hospital were too long, causing me to almost trip. I cursed and screamed in response, my heart filled with frustration that my feet couldn’t carry me any faster. Something hit me; Did I even know where I was going? I stopped for a few moments, and started to think.

“Where are you, Zico?” I muttered to myself, beginning to lose hope. I don’t know what willed me, but I began to run to where Eunjung’s house was, where all this mess started. I pushed past people and didn’t even bother to say I’m sorry, or even excuse me. I pushed everyone out of the way, knowing that I could not lose in this situation. My lungs were on fire. I was coughing continuously, and my throat longed for water. I finally arrived to where I wanted to, and shrieked immediately.

“ZICO!” I screamed and began to lunge forwards, towards the bloody Zico, and the group of boys surrounding him, killing him.

“SunMi!” He yelled, spitting out blood when he spoke. “Don’t move!” he yelled, and I automatically halted. He promptly got up, and pushed past the group of boy and ran over to me. He embraced me.

“Why’d you leave?!” I questioned, screaming at him while tears were forming in my eyes.

“Isn’t this cute?” I heard one of the guys say, followed by chuckles. He pulled something out of his pocket. Zico seemed to notice too, since he protectively shielded me. When he spoke, he sounded rushed.

“That doesn’t matter. Listen to me, SunMi. I love you.” He said, looking directly into my eyes. I smiled while more tears flowed.

“I love you too.” I said, but I was interrupted by a loud bang. I gasped for air, and my eyes grew wide.

____________________________________________________________________________________

The day is getting closer, isn’t it?

I have 2 more cranes. Two more nights in this hospital. I won’t have to make a crane on my last day, will I? It’ll seem empty without something to do, but at the same time, it’ll remind me that I’ll be with you. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Super short chapter guys ;___; 

I'm so sorry! I haven't updated in like a month, but I've been REALLY overworked with school. Finals are this week *sigh* Well, yeah~