Chapter 3

Unexpected Joy

He sauntered over to my desk and put his hands on the edges. His face inches away from mine. "I keep seeing you around, SunMi, is it?" He smirked, sending sparks off in my inside. His face kept getting closer, I could hear his breathing and see his eyes closer than ever. "or do you prefer Cris?" His lips were now brushing against mine. "Cris?" 

"CRISSSSS!" I woke up from my all too real seeming dream with a loud yell from Rina. 

"EH?" I said still groggy.

"It's time for lunch." James chuckled. I rubbed my eyes and looked to where Zico was sitting before, only to find it empty now. I sighed and followed them out, patting our teacher on the way out. 

The lunch room was overly crowded, but we managed to find a seat. 

"So Cris, do you have any plans for the weekend?" James asked causually. 

"I don't think so? But it's only Wednesday right?" 

"It's Friday babo." Rina said, taking a spoonful of rice. 

"Eh? Already?" I said, picking at my rice. I was expecting more of a hamburger for lunch, not rice and kimchi. 

"Mm. So no plans then?" James said, taking a bite of bulgogi. 

"Nope." I said,also taking a bite of bulgogi. 

"Not yet anyways." That annoying voice I knew and hate said as he took a seat next to me. "Hey y. Listen, we're having a little party at Zico's place tonight, you down?" Zico. That brought me immediatly back to my fantasy earlier today. I stood silent. 

"I think we'll take that as a yes. Let's go Jaehyo" I remembered the one who spoke's name was Kyung.

"See you there" Jaehyo winked and he and Kyung walked away to their table. 

"YAH" Rina smacked my arm.

"OW" I rubbed it. 

"Why didn't you say no? This means drinking and and drugs ANIYO, YOU LOOK SO SWEET AND PURE, WE CAN'T LOSE YOU TO THIS CROWD" 

"Relax. As we Americans say, chill. I'm not going." She breathed a sigh of relief. "alone." she groaned.

"I can't go" James said, examining his kimchi. "I have a concert for my band." 

"Band? What do you play?" 

"I'm the guitarist and vocalist. You should come check me... I mean us out someday." I smiled and nodded. 

"YAH." Rina slammed her milk on the table. "Can we get back to this 'we' business? I can't go. I simply won't allow it!" 

----------

"I can't believe I allowed it." Rina muttered as we were walking to my house. 

"I'm home!" I yelled out in English once we stepped in the doorway. 

"How was school?" My mother yelled out from the kitchen. 

"I wish my house was this unformal." Rina said. 

"It was good! I brought a friend, so don't do anything too embarrasing!" I yelled at my mother, who immediately came out to find us. 

"Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Rina, I'm SunMi's new friend." She bowed. 

"No need for formalities dear." My mother smiled at her. Rina smiled back. 

"Umma, is it okay if I go to Rina's house tonight? We're just gonna watch some movies and things, a sleep over without sleeping over sort of." I lied. 

"You can sleep over if you want, if it wouldn't be too much trouble to Rina of course." Rina shook her head no. 

"Great, thank you mom! I'll just get my stuff and we'll be going. Tell appa I said hi" I said while running upstairs and filling my bag with clothes I would wear to this party. 

We arrived at Rina's appartment, and it was very nicely decorated. 

"Wow, your parent's have really great taste!" I said admiring her place. 

"Aniyo, not my parents. I live with my brother Junho." just then, a very attractive male walked in. 

"Ah, Rina, you're home. And you brought a friend that isn't James." I smiled and bowed. 

"Hello, my name is SunMi." He smiled back at me. 

"Um, oppa, can we go to a party tonight?" 

"Sure, why not." He said with carefree attitude and walked into his room. 

"Well, that was easy." Rina said, "Anyways, let's go!" She dragged me into her room and we got dressed for this party. None of us felt the need to put on make up, although for some strange reason, I wanted to look good.. for him. I didn't even know the guy, what was wrong with me? 

"should we get going now?" I asked when it was an hour after the party should have started. 

"Yeah, nows a good time." Rina said, checking her watch. "BYE OPPAA!" She yelled. 

Zico's house wasn't hard to find. The only house blasting loud music with half students all around it. We had to push past crowds just to get in. As soon as we stepped in, a very drunk Jaehyo came to find us. 

"OH HAY BABIES." He put his arms around us. He smelled like alcohol. "SunMi, we must get a room later." 

Rina and I fought our way to the couches by the food tables and sat down for a long time. 

"This is so fun." Rina said looking absolutely bored. Just then Rina's eyes lit up as a boy with big eyes walked towards us. 

"Mind if I sit?" He asked her. 

"Oh, not at all!" She sat and urged me to get off. 

"You're HyeBin aren't you? I've seen you around." He smiled at her. 

"I prefer Rina actually" She giggled. Well, well, well, it seems like she has now become a hypocrite. 

"Rina. Nice name. Hi, I'm Kwangmin." I decided to let Rina have her fun and go pour myself some soda in the kitchen. I wasn't surprised that the only thing layed out was alcohol. I didn't want to be rude and look in the fridge, so I just stood there to see if anyone would come in and do it. I casually played with my phone just in case someone walked in and question me. Somebody did walk in. 

Zico. 

"Oh. Um." I said and he just looked up at me and went to the fridge to grab a beer that was not laid out. "Do you have soda or something?" I asked quietly. In response he threw a can at me. I set my phone down just in time to catch it. "Thanks" he nodded and walked out. 

I went back outside to the party to find everyone was making out. 

"SUNMIIII. Just in time honey." Jaehyo slurred and patted me to sit down. I avoided his gaze and tried to find Rina, to whom my surprise was also taking part in this. I gagged and went upstairs as I has seen people doing all night. There were couples everywhere. I went room to room trying to find an empty one, but I couldn't. On the last door I could find, I opened it again to find Zico by himself scribbling on a paper. 

"Oh. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt." No response. "Uh... interesting party you're having." He didn't even move. "Why aren't you taking part. It's your party anyways." He didn't look up. "Oh. I guess I'll be going now them. Sorry again." I said, feeling foolish and closing the door behind me. I walked downstairs and waited for Rina so we could go to her house. 

"I don't see why you didn't have fun! It was great!" Rina said when we were at her house eating. 

"what time is it?" I reached into my pocket to find.... no phone. Rina sensed what was wrong. 

"Don't panick, uh, let's try calling it." For the next hour that's all we did. Just as I was giving up hope, someone answered it. 

"yah, stop calling. I can't sleep because it's wringing so much. You left it at my house. I'll give it to you Monday......SunMi." He hung up. 

______________________________________________________________________________

That was the first time I heard your voice talking to me. Did I ever tell you I couldn't sleep that night. I wondered. Did you go through my pictures and contacts? Thank you for finding it. We wouldn't have gotten close, right? 

23 cranes left.