Chapter 5

Unexpected Joy

~~~ I apologize in advance for the lack of Zico in this chapter. Cris is sharing the entire story afterall~~~~~

My plan to be rude to him proved harder than anything I had committed myself to. Especially since he was the only person I knew in most of my classes. 

"You'll have to do this project with the person sitting next to you." I groaned when the teacher said this to our class. "Now go and brainstorm what you're going to do." Zico looked over to me. 

"what do you want to do?" His tone sounded a lot nicer now. 

"I don't care." I replied coldly. 

"What's wrong with you?" He looked at me, puzzled. 

"I just don't want to be bothered, actually." He looked very confused now. "Especially not by someone as stupid as you." He looked offended and angry now. "Yes, that's right, I just called you stupid. Don't act like you don't know. What's with the nice guys act anyways. I think both of us know you aren't nice. You're a jerk. A delinquent ever. Do you talk like all girls like this? Using your sweet voice in hopes getting something more with them? Oh, right, you're you. You just want to get in their pants. Well listen. You don't surprise me. I'm not falling for your stupid 'charm'. So you might as well just stop talking to me." He stared at me for a long time before walking out and slamming the door. I groaned and banged my head on my desk. I'm pretty sure I would regret what I just did. 

Rina hadn't gone to school that day, so James and I bought some simple sandwiches and took our food out to the lawn out back. 

"So what's new?" He said taking a bite. It wasn't one of those awkward questions, like a filler. The conversation was light, and playful. Comfortable. We chatted about nothing, and everything. I was beginning to have a crush on James. Not in the way I did Zico. More in an admiring way. In a way where I loved to be around him, and I'd be fine with spending hours with him. Isn't that what liking a person truly means? My smiles were interrupted by him starring at someone. I turned around to find Zico looking at us along with the rest of his groups. I sighed. 

"Did you want something?" I yelled across the lawn. He scoffed and walked away, leaving everyone else confused. 

'What was that all about?" I shrugged. 

"I told him off. He hates me now I guess. So, nothing life changing." He smiled and patted my head. It filled my heart up. Again, not romantically, but it made me feel happy. Like someone cared about me. The bell rang and we made our way inside. James was walking me to the girl's locker room, when someone spun me around and pushed me into the locker. 

"Yah, that hurt." I said and I looked up to find Zico." 

"I tried to be nice to you and you treated me like . So now, you're gonna come to that cafe down the street with me later tonight, or else" he glanced over at James, who had Zico's 6 friends behind him, "your little boyfriend is gonna get it." He smirked and walked away. 

James walked over to me looking concerned. "What was that all about." 

"Nothing," I shook off the dust from my jacket. 

"So you'll come to my practice tonight, right?" I nodded and smiled. "See you at 7 then" he smiled and walked away. 

It was the end of school, and I reluctantly waved bye to James and headed for the cafe. I took my sweet time too, he was a jerk, so he had to wait. When I arrived at the cafe, I saw him sitting there, looking rather impatient at the waitresses who kept coming up to him. I opened the door and caught a snippet of their conversation. 

"I'm waiting for someone actually. I would appriciate it if you would stop." The waitress looked up at me and bowed. Zico turned around and grinned. "Yah, SunMi-ah, what took you so long?" I walked up to the table, confused. "How are you SunMi?" He smiled when I sit down.

"Do you realize that you never introduced yourself to me? I can't even call you by your name." I said, taking a sip of the water he had ordered me before I gotten there. 

"Oh, really? Well, I should do that shouldn't I?" I tried not to smile. He looked and sounded like a little kid when he grinned. "I'm Woo JiHo, nice to meet you. You can call me Zico if you want." He held out his hand. I was about to take it, but then I realized my intentions. Instead, I just stared at him coldly. 

"Are we going to do the project or can I leave?" I said staring him straight in the eye. 

"Oh, that, I already did that." He took something out of his bag. It was a typed report. I read it and it was actually good. 

"When did you do this?" I looked at him puzzled. 

"Oh, I skipped my last period today to do it. Do you like it? All you have to do is put your name on it and we're good." 

"Great, so I can go now?" I said while writing my name towards the top. And standing up. 

He grabbed my hand and pulled me back. "Yah, SunMi. Stay. Let's have coffee. And talk." He looked at me with these pleading eyes, I unwillingly sat down. He grinned. "Do you want coffee? Cake?" He said while raising his hand to call the waitress. 

"What'll it be?" The waitress said, looking annoyed. Zico looked at me. 

"Uh, Macchiato." 

"Two. And bring the cake cart with you." Zico smiled. The waitress came back rather quickly, thank goodness too, because it was getting rather awkward. 

"Yah, SunMi ah. Pick a cake. We'll share it." I nodded and picked out a chocolate one. The waitress and the cart vanished, leaving only silence. "Well, take a bite." I nodded and immediately smiled. The cake was so sweet, the kind that you can't help smiling at. 

"It's so good." I said between giggles. 

"Oh, really?" Zico smiled and took a bite. He started laughing too. I stopped. 

"Yah, why are you being like this?" I accused him. 

"Being like what?" He asked, confused. 

"So..nice. This isn't like you! You're supposed to be a jerk!" I slammed the table. He started laughing. 

"YAH. WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING? DO YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY?" He nodded. 

"It's funny because you think so much like everybody. Just because I look like this, and I hang out with a certain group of people,  doesn't mean I'm like that. Just because you're not nice to me doesn't mean I have to be rude to you. This is the kind of person I am." He said and took a bite of the cake again. I sighed. He looked at me. 

"This is impossible." I mumbled. I glanced at my watch. It was already 6:30. "YAH." I stood up. 

"Where are you going?" he stood up too. 

"James' band practice." I said making my way to the door. 

"WAIT, I'll walk you. It's getting dark outside." 

"Whatever, Let's just hurry." He left money on the table and we walked out. We arrived to James' practice just in time, at an Indie club. 

"CRIS!" James yelled and jumped down. He gave me a tight hug. I had forgotten Zico was with me and I sat down. James went back to stage and talked into the mic. 

"I wrote this song a few days ago, so, I hope you enjoy it." He began to sing in an angelic and flawless voice. 

"geuh del bo myun ul gool ee bbal geh jigo, geuh del bo myun ga seum ee doogeun doogeun, ah ee chuh lum soo joob geh mal hago"I smiled wide, hearing the song and his voice. 

A forgotten Zico left, slamming the door loudly behind him.