Chapter 4

Unexpected Joy

I felt anxious the entire weekend. I don't know if it was because I wanted to see him, or because I missed my phone. When Sunday night came, I couldn't sleep. After countless hours of tossing and turning, the sun finally came up. I must've fallen asleep for an hour or two after that, since according to my mother, it was terribly har to get me ot of bed. Breakfast and getting ready all passed in a blur. It wasn't until I was inside the school building that I realized where I was. I started to stumble, looking for James and Rina. 

James saw me and rushed over to help me with a worried look on his face. 

"I'm fine." I murmered. "Just really tired. Can we go to the classroom?" Not to our surprise, we were the first ones to arrive. I took this oppurtunity to catch up a little on sleep, so I layed my head on my desk. 

"Excuse me? Excuse me." A voice woke me. I tried to ignore it until it started poking me. "Excuse me." 

"WHAT?" I yelled and lifted my head. I regretted it when I saw him standing over me, looking confused. 

"Here. You should take care of your stuff more." He reached in his pocket and pulled out my phone. He tossed it at me, and as soon as I caught it, I started to search around in it. "Relax. I didn't touch anything. I'm not a ert." He sat down on the desk rather roughly, and I looked away embarrassed. Not knowing what to do, I looked at my phone again. Low battery? But it was full when I took it to the party.. Maybe he was some strange ert. I glanced over at him. I thought he didn't notice at first. 

"You know, you can stop starring at me and go back to sleep." I woke up from my daze and looked away slowly. I layed my head down and used my hair as a secret barrier, so that I could observe him in peace. He was so... interesting. He was murmuring something to himself and scribbling it down on paper. It made me wonder. Were his thoughts as profound as his concentration seemed, or were they just cliche? 

I silently sighed. I was doing it again. This happened everytime someone interesting came along. I gave them all I had, only to find out the truth from reality. But it seemed like he was different. He was interesting, he was captivating. What was I saying? I was just breaking myself again. I wanted to bang my head against the desk for thinking so highly of someone who seemed like, well, a jerk. The bell rang and my thoughts vanished. 

"Yah. You can stop faking now, I know you aren't asleep." I pretended like I couldn't hear him and slowly got up. Trying to avoid looking at him proved to be very difficult. It was like this until lunch, when I decided to skip lunch and go think on the roof. My thoughts were only interrupted by a terrible fright. It felt like someone pushed me lightly, but held on to my blazer so I wouldn't fall. 

"YAH" I turned around expecting to find James or Rina, but he was there, grinning widely. I stared at him wide eyed.

His grin disappeared. "Oh. I'm sorry. I shouldn't play around with strangers. I'm so stupid."

"No, it's fine." It was quiet awkward and silent after that.

He cleared his throat. "Can I sit?" I nodded and he sat down next to me. 

"Not to be rude or anything, but, why are you here?" I mumbled. It seemed very rude, so I corrected myself by saying. "I mean, why aren't you with your friends?" 

"Honestly, I saw the door to the stairs open and I thought someone was going to do something stupid." 

"Oh." And again, the awkward silence. "well unless you call me sitting here by myself stupid, none of that is going on." 

He chuckled. "SunMi is it?"

"Cris if you want." I mumbled. 

"I like SunMi better. It sounds prettier. But sure, I'll call you Cris." And yet another awkward silence. Luckily the bell rang. He got up and started to walk away before turning around and saying. "Are you coming? We're going the same way anyways." 

To my own surprise, I said no. In those few sentences, he had drawn me in even further. Even if it hurt me too, I was going to be the worst person ever to him. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

How did you tolerate my folishness JiHo? I don't see why you kept trying after that day. I'm glad you did. I wonder if you knew why I started being horrible to you. It wasn't because I hated you. I was afraid to like you. 

22 Cranes left. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello ^_^ 

I never really do author's notes sort of things, so I guess this is my first one? 

Anyways, thank you for the support!

Please continue subscribing, AND COMMENT, I want to hear your feedback!

Just to clear things up, whenever it says _________________________________________ it's present day. This whole story consists of memories. Sorry if that wasn't clear~