Chapter 21

Unexpected Joy

I woke up, not knowing where I was. I looked around again. My vision was still incredibly blurred. Why did this room look familiar? And why was my head spinning so much? I wracked my brain for all these answers, but I couldn’t seem to think of it. I noticed 8 figures in my room, all lying face down, most rolled up in balls. I couldn’t identify who they were. I tried to get up to figure out why they were all in this room, and why I was here, but I couldn’t move without becoming dizzy.

My slight movements woke up the only person lying at the foot of my bed. He looked up, rubbed his eyes, and smiled. I recognized him at once. James. I was a little disappointed it wasn’t Zico there by my bed, but James was wonderful right now. One by one, six more heads popped up, the seventh was bunched up in a corner, unmoving. My mother, my father, Taecyeon, Rina, her boyfriend Kwangmin, and Junho all smiled at me. It all came back to me now. I instantly grabbed the back of my head.

I felt no more oozing blood, only stitched. I was glad I had at least gotten medical attention. My mind dwelled on something else.

“Where’s Zico?” I wondered aloud, receiving only blank stares. The one who finally spoke up was Rina.

“He’s gone.” She whispered. I was silent for a while.

“Is that Mino?” I whispered, pointing to the bulk who was still sleeping in the corner. Again, I was only answered by silence. Did they know Mino? They should, right? Taec knew Mino, right?

“He went wherever Zico went.” James answered this time. I pointed at the mysterious person, who’s back was now to us.

“That’s Wooyoung.” Taec answered. “He helped us look for you last night. He went to Zico’s house with Junho and Kwangmin, too. Zico’s sister said he left after he dropped you off two nights ago.” The sleeping Wooyoung seemed to hear his name, and sat up, looking around, and then to me. I had so many other questions, but I decided to start with one:

“What happened to me?” I said in a whisper. 

“We don’t know yet.” My mother said. She was grabbing onto my father.

“We have to take you back today.” My father said, with the most serious look I had ever seen on him.

Taec did something I had never seen him do in all of his life. He walked to my bed, kneeled down, grabbed my hands, and looked me straight in the eye.

“It doesn’t look good, Cris” he whispered. I don’t know if it was my imagination, but I could’ve sworn I saw his eyes glisten.

“Can we go now? I’m curious.” I said, not looking anyone in the eye.

~

A/N: I am in no way a doctor, so please bear with me on these horrible diagnostics.

“Follow the light with your eyes, please.” The doctor opened my eyelids farther and shone a light in my eyes. I couldn’t follow it. My eyes lost their focus, and it was like I couldn’t control them. The doctor nodded and wrote something down in his untidy scrawl.

“Will you please stand up and try to walk in a straight line?” he said, motioning me to climb down from where I was sitting. I don’t ever remember walking in a straight line being so incredibly difficult. I tripped and stumbled all over the place. The doctor “hmm”-ed and nodded, motioning for me to stop. He told me he would be back with my results, and let my family and friends in the room before walking out.

We waited.

And waited.

And waited again.

It had almost been two hours when he came back in, with a solemn look on his face.

“Your daughter will need to get an MRI scan before we can determine anything. Is that alright, Mr. And Mrs. Park?” My parents both looked at each other with the saddest looks I had ever seen, and nodded. The doctor nodded and told me to get up, leading me to a room with a machine. He laid me down on the cold, lifeless machine and went behind the glass.

This part of my memory is also fuzzy. I don’t remember how the scan went, or what it felt like, I just remember the doctor telling me I could go back to my room now. And more waiting.

This time, when the doctor walked in, he held a paper, and his lips were pursed. I recognized the image on the paper to be a brain. Only, this brain had something large and black towards the back. I knew what was happening before I even heard him utter the words to my parents.

I was going to die. 

The rest of that visit to the hospital seemed a blur. I remember my mother grabbing on to my father and crying. I remember Taec hitting the wall, while Wooyoung and Junho patted him on the back. I remember Rina crying into Kwangmin’s chest. And I remember the only person who went to comfort me was James. I couldn’t really feel anything, though. I was in a sort of state of numbness.

Was it shock? No, I’d been in shock before, and it felt terrible.

Sadness? No, sadness left a sort of burning hole in the bottom of your stomach, and in the back of your throat.

Peace? Maybe. The situation wasn’t peaceful, but it was the only way I could describe this completely oblivious feeling.

I snapped out of my trance when we arrived home.

“SunMi, get out of the car.” Taec said, refusing to look at me. It seemed everyone but James refused to look at me after that visit.

When I stepped out of the car, I saw a familiar smiling face standing at the doorstep.

“SunMi!” Zico yelled as he ran up to me.

I couldn’t tell him. I just couldn’t. Seeing the reactions of everyone in that room, I didn’t want to see his. I smiled at him.

“Where were you? I went to your school, but you weren’t there, so I came here, and you weren’t here either.” His grin. God, I would miss that grin.

“I took the day off today. I thought I would spend it with family. I’ll be doing that often now.” I said, again, with a smile. But this wasn’t a real one. I could feel this one was sad. I begged for my eyes not to water. It wasn’t that I was sad about dying. I would have to do it sooner or later. I was sad about Zico, and how much he would suffer.

“Where were you yesterday?” I said, quickly changing the subject after feeling that hole burning in my throat.

“Oh,” He rubbed the back of his head.” I had to take care of some gang in another town. Everything’s fine now though, don’t worry.” He whispered. “Did I miss anything?” He said, again, with that grin of his. I smiled another sad smile, and couldn’t stop a tear from slipping out. I buried my face in his chest before he could see.

“Everything’s fine, Zico. You didn’t miss anything.” 

________________________________________________________________________________________

If I had told you, would you run away, or would that have been a day spent wholey with you? 

5 Cranes. 

I can count the days with one hand now, Zico. Does that make you happy? 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Please, don't hit me. IT HAD TO BE DONE OKAY :c 

Enjoy reading, and as always, COMMENT AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK! 

Also, I started a review shop, so , if you have a story ... *wink wink*

And if you could give my new story, Trainee some love, it would be much appreciated too~ http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/70533/trainee-2pm-bigbang-dbsk-korean-kpop-sment-ygent

Thank you to --->iⓀpⓞp's Gⓡaⓟhⓘc Rⓔqⓤeⓢt Sⓗoⓟ--->2:] for this gloriousness c: