Chapter 6

Unexpected Joy

I got up early the next morning. 

"Umma, I'm walking to school!" I shouted before leaving the house. I heard a protest, but I was already out the door. I saw a group of boys walking in front of me. Just the ones I wanted to see. I in my breath and yelled as loud as I could. 

"YAH. WOO JIHO. GET OVER HERE NOW." His group of friends looked shocked, and he tried his best to while walking over to me. I was pretending to look angry as he waved for them to leave. As soon as they turned around, we both grinned. "Was that too much?" 

"No, I think they won't be too curious." He said, beginning to walk. "So, what's up?" 

"Nothing, I just wanted someone to walk with." I said, skipping along beside him. 

He chuckled. "And 'Zico can you walk me to school' wouldn't have worked?" I stuck my tongue out at him. "Cute" he muttered. 

"Well, if I said that, they wouldn't leave. Or they would get the wrong idea." 

"You don't like them?" I shook my head. "Why not?" 

"My first impression of Korean men was based off of you guys." He chuckled. 

" I remember now. But the aren't that bad. They're all pretty talented." I scoffed. "Yah, don't be like that. They are. The short kid, Taeil. He has an amazing voice. And the one who always ually harasses you has a great voice. So does the one who always smiles, U-Kwon, and the one who looks relatively normal, Minhyuk. The little one, Jihoon is a great rapper, so is Kyung, the black haired one. Together we're Block B." I was in hysterics now. 

"Block B?" I said between giggles. 

"YAH, don't laugh, its short for BlockBuster" He said, pouting like a child. 

"Ah, I see." I said, restraining my laughter. "And what do you do?" 

"I rap." I started laughing again. 

"I don't see it." 

"Just wait, when we make it big, we'll be the ones laughing." Without noticing it, we had arrived to school already. "Well, I see the guys. I'll see you in class SunMi-ah." He left, patting my head. Seconds later, I was attacked by Rina. 

"WHAT WAS THAT?" She questioned me. " I LEAVE FOR ONE DAY AND THIS HAPPENS? AND WITH WOO JIHO?" 

"YAH, LOWER YOUR VOICE" I hissed. I dragged her inside. "Honestly, nothing happened." I said, searching for James in our usual meeting place. 

"NOTHING? PATTING YOUR HEAD IS NOTHING?" She accused. I nodded. 

"I don't know about in Korea, but in America that's how we praise.....dogs..." I spotted James and quickly walked over to him to avoid another one of Rina's attacks. It proved to be a bad idea. 

"Good Morning Cris" He patted my head. Rina stared at me wide mouth. 

"JAMES TOO?" She slapped my arm. 

"What about me?" He said, looking confused. 

"Nothing." I assured him and glared at Rina. "Come to the bathroom with me Rina." 

"But I don't need to g-" 

"IT DOESN'T MATTER" I cut her off and dragged her into the bathroom. 

"Yah, do you like James?" She looked at me innocently. 

"What? No. I don't. He's just a friend." It was strange that I didn't believe this myself. 

She grinned. "You do. Ah, This is so great! He is so much better than Zico!" 

"YAH. I don't like James. And what's wrong with Jiho? I like him. He's nice." I checked myself in the mirror, in a false nonchalant matter. 

"HE'S NICE?" She stepped in front of me. "He is a horrible playboy. He's crude. He's rude. He's a jerk. He's a delinquent! I've been close to him my whole life and he is worse than anyone! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PICK HIM?" She shook me. 

"You missed something" A voice emerged from one of the stalls. "He's mine." The girl I had seen him with before stepped out. before stepping in front of us. 

"Uh, you didn't flush." I muttered. 

"or wash your hands..." Rina continued. 

"YAH. WHAT IS THIS. You are such idiots. I only went in there to eavesdrop. And let me just say. If you know what's good for you, you'll stay away." She walked away, looking smug. 

"SEE. HE GOES FOR GIRLS LIKE THAT." I sighed, sort of annoyed. "Yah, SunMi-ah. I'm just doing this because I don't want to see you hurt."

"so how are you and Kwangmin?" I said, obviously changing the subject. Her eyes lit up and she forgot our discussion. 

"He's so great and sweet and fantastic. Did you know he had a twin I didn't. Well he's better looking anyways." This spazzing went on for a while, until the bell rang too. When we got into the classroom, I excitedly went to my seat and ignored Rina's scoldings. 

"Oppa, do you want to have lunch on the roof today?" I whispered to Zico when class started. 

"Since when do you call me oppa?" He chuckled. "But sure. I'll meet you there." 

I had never been more excited for lunch. When the bell rang, I walked to get my food with Rina and James as usual. 

"Ah, I just remembered, I have a project due for history. I'll be right back." I said, in a fake rush. 

"Do you want us to come with you?" Said James, stepping forward. 

"NO." I shouted. " I mean, uh, I wouldn't want to bore you guys. Well, I'm off" I said bye with a nervous wave and dashed away. 

Just as promised, Zico was on the roof, eating his rice. 

"Hi oppa" I piped up happily. 

"What'd I say about you calling me oppa?" he said. 

"Fine. Hey ahjusshi." He laughed. 

"Yah, is that anyway to talk to your elders." I laughed. "So are you done being rude to me?" He said, taking a bite of some of his kimchi." 

I nodded. "Honestly. I didn't want to get close to you. You seem.... scary and different." 

"Well, I'm not." He looked me straight in the eye. "I'm a good guy. I won't hurt you." 

I won't hurt you. 

Those words echoed in my head. I felt like crying. Seeing him saying those words and knowing that that promise was almost always broken. He sensed this sadness in my eyes and his smile disappeared. 

"Did I say something wrong." I shook my head and looked away. He turned me around again. "Are you sure you're okay?" He said, with a worried expression on his face. I nodded. 

"Just.. I don't like to hear those words. You don't know for sure. And if you don't know, its a good chance it'll happen. I don't want to hate you for promising me that." My voice shook when I said that. 

"I won't break it." He whispered. "Yah, I know what'll cheer you up. Let's go to the farris wheel after school, okay?" I spared a small smile. The bell rang. 

"I'll leave first" I said and quickly got up and practically ran down the stairs. I was begging for a tear not to drop. I bumped into James just as the tear decided to drop. Great. I looked at him to explain, but he just held me. He held my tight and whispered "Whatever it is, it's going to get better." 

I nodded and he wiped my tears and took me to class. When I got there Zico looked in a bad mood. I figured I would ignore it and ask him about it on the farris wheel. Class went by rather slow, but finally, the end came. Zico stormed out of the room. I figured he just wanted to say bye to his friends or something. 

"Cris, do you wanna come to my house today? Oppa's having his friends over, and they're all really cute." 

"Oh, I can't, I have to help my mom with some unpacking." I lied. I felt bad for it, but if she was just going to attack Zico again, i didn't want to hear it. 

I walked across the halls in search of Zico. I turned a corner, and I wish I hadn't. 

Zico was there. With Eunjung. And they were kissing. 

I felt my heart breaking. Eunjung pulled away and smirked at me. Zico turned around and gave me a shocked face. 

"SunMi. It's not what it looks like. It wasn't, I wasn't, let me explain." 

Tears were falling freely. 

"What's there to explain?! That you're a jerk? That you broke the promise that was established 2 hours ago? And you." I looked at Eunjung. "Are you happy now?" I ran off without saying a word. 

The cold hit me fast and hard. I didn't care. I ran. As fast as possible. I ran all the way to the indie club James practiced at last time. 

Luckily he was there. He stood up when he saw me. Without saying a word I ran to him and pressed my face against his chest and sobbed. He took me outside to a nearby fence. 

"I did it again, James. I let my heart take over my senses. I put too much hope in someone who wasn't right. It hurts. It hasn't even been a week since I've known him, and it hurts. It already hurts." He patted my back and I sobbed more. 

I don't know how long it was like this. When I opened my eyes, it was night. 

"SunMi. There's better people out there you know. " 

I scoffed. "No there isn't. Name one." 

He hesitated. "Me." 

I looked up at him, shocked. He started to lean in, and I didn't protest. We were so close when I heard someone scream. 

"YAH. SUNMI-AH." I looked up to find none other than Zico running towards us. When he got close, James stood up and in front of me. "Move" Zico almost screamed at him

"Why should I? You've done enough" he said protectively. 

"I SAID MOVE DAMNIT." Zico pushed James aside and grabbed me by the hand and dragged me. 

"LET ME GO." I shouted over and over again, while struggling. When we were by a street light, he let go. "WHAT DO YOU WANT? TO PROVE I'M STUPID AGAIN? TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME? WHY DON'T YOU JUST RUN TO EUNJUNG AGAIN." I shouted at him. 

"DON'T YOU GET IT." He yelled back twice as hard and loud. " I WANT YOU DAMNIT." 

"..What?" I said, in shock. 

"You heard me. I. Want. You " 

He grabbed me by the waist and pulled me in for a kiss. 

James stood back in the shadows and watched. 

_______________________________________________________________________

20 cranes left.