Chapter 22

Unexpected Joy

 

It had been three days since I was told I was going to die. So many little things had happened in that time frame. This thing in my head has been messing with my memory, so I can hardly remember most of what happens in a day, let alone three.

There was the time when I told Mino about my illness, and how I was no longer going to be attending school.

“Don’t tell Zico though, okay?” I had told him. He hesitated before nodding as an answer. He then embraced me and told me that he hoped I got better, and how he hoped he’d see me again when I had overcome the illness. Apparently, Mino could forsee things, and saw my getting better. Or maybe that was just his way of denying it.

There was also the tiny talk with Eunjung the day I went to school only to return my books.

She had given me a confused look when she saw me handing in my books to the office, and handing them the letter from the doctor, explaining why I could no longer attend school.

“Transferring again?” She had said with a smirk. I gave her a blank stare before answering.

“Yeah, to a hospital.” I had said, smiling at her. She looked at me with a confused expression, and I nodded. “You have less than a year before I’m out of the picture” I had said, before walking away. The look on her face was somewhere between shock, and remorse, the first time I had seen that from Eunjung

The thing that I had avoided doing all this time was mentioning to Zico anything about my problem. I didn’t know how much longer I could keep it up, since today was the last day I would get to see the outside world in a while. Starting tomorrow, I was to be hospitalized for 3 weeks. My phone rang, and I reluctantly answered seeing who was calling.

“Hi yeobo” I could hear his grin through the phone.

“oh, hi.” I mumbled shyly. How was I going to explain to him that I was going to be gone for 3 weeks?

“Are you okay?” He said, his tone of voiced changed. He must have noticed how unfocused I sounded.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just… a little distracted right now.” I said, not completely lying, but lying nonetheless.

“Oh, why?” How was I supposed to answer this?

“Well…. I’m sort of packing right now. I’m going on a short trip with Taec starting tomorrow. We’ll be gone for three weeks. I thought I told you.” I said, making an effort to shuffle to support my lie.

“Really? Oh..” he said, sounding more distant than I did when I answered his first question. It was silent before he finally said “Can I come see you then?”

“Right now?”

“Yeah. I want to make the most out of our last day together.” If only he knew how true that statement could be. Before I could say no, I could already hear him walking down his stairs and out his front door. I said goodbye and hung up the phone. It was 11 am, and I hadn’t even gotten out of bed yet. My mother was at the market, and when she said market, she meant being out for the whole day shopping before finally stopping at the market on her way home. My father was working, as usual. And Taec, I didn’t really know where he was. It would just be Zico and I in the quiet of my lonely home.

I didn’t bother stepping out of the clothes I slept in. I figured Zico wouldn’t want to go anywhere. When I was with him, he just liked to talk.

I waited about twenty minutes before the doorbell rang. It felt strange, not being happy to see Zico. It wasn’t because he himself bothered me, but because I didn’t like the fact that I was lying to him, and that I was keeping my condition from him. I opened the door, to find him grinning. I managed a small smile.

“I brought you something” He said, his grin never wiping off of his face. From behind his back, he pulled out a mini drumstick plush, with a ribbon tied around it. I stared at him blankly before bursting out laughing. It made me lightheaded, but I kept laughing.

“What.. you don’t like it?” He said, his grin disappearing. “I thought My Girlfriend is a Gumiho was your favorite drama..” He said, looking as if he’d made a fool of himself.

“No, it is.” I said, once I had calmed down. “I love it.” I said, taking the drumstick from him. “It’s just really strange how you’d know what I wanted.” It wasn’t exactly the plush toy that I wanted, but something from him that would keep me going while I was in the hospital. We went inside, and for the rest of the afternoon, we did nothing. We talked, we watched TV, and we ate. It was nothing special. But in all honesty, its what I wanted. I didn’t want to do anything, or go anywhere, I just wanted to savor my final moments with him.

I guess we had both fallen asleep, since I woke up to find Taec staring at us a few hours later.

“What are you doing, creeper.” I said, as I rubbed my eyes.

“Looking at you so you could wake up.” He replied, as if it was something completely normal. I shook my head at him, and shook Zico awake. His hair was a mess, and his already small eyes were even smaller. It made me just a little sad, knowing I wouldn’t get to see that in a while, or ever.

“Come on, I’ll walk you outside.” I said, getting up, and pulling him up with me. As I was walking him to the corner, still in my pajama bottoms and a tank top, I decided to say something that I had known for a while, but never directly said to him.

“Zico?” I said, looking up at him. I grabbed his hand and placed it in mine.

“Yeah?” He said, looking up at the sky. I had noticed he would always do that when we were walking, but I decided I didn’t need to know why.

“I love you.” The words sounded foreign coming out of my own mouth. I had said them before, but it was never love, only infatuation. This time, I really meant it. I looked up at him, to see what he would say, but his face was blank. He nodded, kissed me on the cheek, and left, without saying anything back. I don’t know if this made me more happy or sad. Sad because I didn’t know how he felt about me, but happy, because it wouldn’t hurt him too much when I finally left. I sighed and walked back to my house. I took one good look at it before I went into my room. Was I really going to be in the hospital for only 3 weeks? Even three weeks seemed like a long time to be stuck in a lifeless room.

 

“This way, please, Miss Park.” The nurse led me to my room after I had gotten into my hospital clothes. They felt papery and unwelcoming.

Just as I expected, the room was lifeless. The only this that was good about it was a tree right outside of my window. With that, I could observe life as I was losing it. I sighed. I walked to my new bed and sat down. I took hold of the drumstick I brought with me, and tried to sleep. I had already gotten too much, but what else could I do in this godforsaken place?

 

Zico’s POV (HEH HEH, FINALLY GETTING INSIDE HIS HEAD c: )

I love you.

She said I love you.

It still surprised me, even though it was said yesterday afternoon, 24 hours ago. I sighed, mentally beating myself up for not saying anything back. I did love SunMi, I loved her more than anything, but “I love you” was just too hard to say.

I walked to the corner store to get some milk for Chaerin, it was getting pretty cold now. The leaves were beginning to lose their color. Such a gloomy time for Taec and SunMi to go on their trip. I began going to the back of the store, where the milk was, when I saw a flash of red. Was that Rina’s brother? I chuckled, remembering the time I first met Taec.

As if on cue, Taecyeon walked next to Rina’s brother. Wait….

Wasn’t he supposed to be with SunMi?

So where was SunMi?

A sudden hint of rage hit me, and I walked towards him. Surely he would know where she was, and why she lied to me. I practically ran to him, and he waved and smiled at me, as if he knew nothing.

“Hey Zico!” He said cheerfully. I grabbed his shirt.

“Where is she.”

“Where’s who?” He said, looking down at my hands, looking almost frightened.

“SunMi. Where is she. Who’s she with?” I said. The mention of his sister seemed to have brought his fright down to sorrow.

“Why would you remind him?” Rina’s brother said, pushing my hands off.

“Of what?” I was growing irritated now. Why was nobody telling me anything?

“She went to the hospital already.” Taec said, looking away.

“Hospital?” I was so confused. Why was she going to the hospital?

“She’s getting her diagnosis for now. She’ll be in there for three weeks.” Junho said, in place of Taec.

“Diagnosis for what?”

“Didn’t she tell you?” Junho continued. “She claims to have fallen, and well… her brain.. it got hit… She doesn’t have much time left. My eyes grew wide, and I turned around and started sprinting to every hospital she could possibly be at.

, SunMi, why are you so stupid? I thought as I wiped away the water that was forming in my eyes.

____________________________________________________________________________

4 Cranes left

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't kill me guys ;___; 

I've been super busy, I'm sorry :c 

But yeah, these next few chapters, heh heh , you guys have to promise not to like stalk me and kill me..... c: