Twelve

My Sweet Devil

Twelve


Silver chains were wrapped around his fallen torso, digging into his flesh. His body was battered, bruised, smeared with dry blood, caked in dirt. He seemed to have trouble breathing, his chest erratically rising and deflating. Blood filled the corners of his mouth, lips cracked and red.

Her body propelled forward, intent on reaching his side, but Aron quickly restrained her. She struggled in his hold, they had to help him while they still could. What was he thinking? The quivering of his figure had her succumb to his hold, her gaze observing Baekho.

They couldn’t save him on their own, they would be foolish to. They needed the others, he insisted. Chaerin bucked, and demanded why they needed their help when they were so certain Baekho was a goner and gave up?

“Chaerin, don’t you see where we are?”

She looked around, as if finally registering her environment. Chills danced along her arm, dread ripping apart her hope of saving him.

“He’s in a fight-zone and he isn’t alone.”

She pulled away from Aron, and neared closer to the arena; she croaked his name. “Baekho.” His response was a groan of sorts, his eyes rolling back into his head. He was in a bad state. It became a cycle, calling him over and over, only to be met with his unintelligible slur.

- Earlier that day –

She found it difficult to resume her work, her mind dragging out the past night events. She drifted in and out, Yongguk having to prod her awake, or away from her daze. By the time they finished the lesson, he was offering up his shoulder, the wag of his eyebrows mischievous. Her laughter surrounded them, and she gestured that she was fine, her mind occupied with a lot of personal issues.

“Don’t hold back. Just go do what you got to do.” His deep voice rumbled.

“It’s not that easy,” She snorted.

Yongguk chuckled. “Only if you’re making it that way.” Chaerin smiled, and clumsily smacked him.

“What if someone’s discouraging you from doing what you want to do? What then, Yongguk?”

Yongguk flashed his gummy smile. “Then take them out of the equation.”


And so, being more than just talk, she armed herself, and headed out to the oak tree – intent on confirming the notion that there was a lifeless body they gave up on. She was sifting through bushes, leaves, when Aron appeared behind her, just as surprised to find her. After knocking him aside for scaring her, they teamed up, scoping out what they could.

He trailed scents of old, she followed dried splatters of blood.

One to always find danger, she neared the zone where neutrality was meant for . Aron reached for her, warning her to stay away, but she pushed back the branches obscuring her view and stepped forward. It was a circular patch of dirt, rimmed with rocks, one step inside and you were testing fate. Brown orbs found his beaten form, his huffing figure, defeated and sickening.

She lurched forward, Aron held her back, and oh.

“We can’t do this alone, Chaerin.”


Oh, he was furious. He was beyond his breaking point, or so she presumed by his hard stare. He specifically told her not to do anything stupid, and of course she went and did the opposite. His jaw was set, tight, his only action a curt nod of his head indicating for Aron to retrieve his pack.

“We don’t have time for this, Kris.” Chaerin muttered, arms crossed, eyes narrowed.

“Humor me.”

He didn’t want her to jump back into affairs she didn’t belong in, but her meddlesome nature reared its head, attracting danger.

“You just won’t listen, will you?” He accused.

“I wasn’t going to move on until it was certain he was dead, you jerk. And who are you to restrict me? If I hadn’t gone on my own and found him, he could have died.”

Spiteful, he replied, “Maybe for good reason.”

“Yah!” She cried, launching herself his way, their limbs tangling – she just really wanted to smack his scowl right off his features. He ceased her fruitless assault, caught her in his hold, his eyes scrunched in annoyance. Her loosened hair hung in pieces over her face, her chest heaving, her outburst quelled as he held her.

Their eyes clashed.

Kris released her, pushed her aside, and proceeded to smooth his shirt over. She looked down at the ground, and whispered, “At least let me see to it that he is saved and reunited with his group. Please, Kris.”

“Do as you wish.”

This time Luhan assumed responsibility over her, accountable for her safety, and transporting her. Kris was much too agitated to resume the former duty as her overseer. He went off to collect the rest of his team, in case they were needed- one couldn’t be wary enough of the dangers that lurked in the fight-zone.

Luhan sighed, tossing a glance towards her. He assured her that Kris cared, he truly did. She just happened to be a thick thorn in his side; he’s never had to handle such a stubborn mule set on defying him and making his life complicated.


Xiumin joined the pair before they took off with the most serious expression Chaerin had ever seen him wear. The trio encountered JR’s crew just as they approached the clearing, observing his body with displeasure. Perhaps because she wasn’t ‘were’ they huddled up amongst themselves, discussing their next move.

“What’s the problem? Is there something wrong?” She inquired, wondering why the hell they didn’t dive in and save him.

After a flick of his curl, Luhan mentioned, “He’s got silver on him, Chae. And he’s pretty tied down. It will take longer to remove him than we thought.”

Her eyes gave away her confusion. “What has the silver have anything to do with this?”

He smiled. “Chaerin, we may not be completely mortal, but we’re not invincible. Silver is potent to our kind.” Oh. She wasn’t sure why she had thought they were pretty much Superman: The Beast Edition. The group returned to their earlier discussion; they needed someone strong enough to bear the pain and tear out the silver as they were guarded from rear to front.

JR counted himself qualified for the position, he was also alpha, he had more to live up to. But, Ren shot him down, retorting that Minhyun had far more resistance to silver. Luhan piped in, boasting of his durance with the dreadful element, Xiumin silent on the ordeal, rolling his eyes ever so subtly.

Chaerin figured she could do it, she was human, silver was just an accessory. “Then I’ll do it.” She answered on impulse, her hand raised. The boys ogled her, eyes bulging, with the exception of Ren whom scoffed.

Luhan laughed lightly, “Chaerin, this isn’t the time for jokes. This is serious.”

“Do I look like the kind of girl that would crack a joke in this situation? I’ll free him and you idiots cover my , alright? I’m immune to silver and if you have a better plan, please enlighten me right now.”

Despite how probable his efforts would be futile, tried to dissuade her and warn her of the dangers that possibly roamed the grounds. She was human and she was quite vulnerable. What if they couldn’t protect her? A hard stare that could potentially best the grave eyes of his leader confronted him after he finished his weak argument.

Kris wasn’t going to like this.