Twenty-Four

My Sweet Devil

Twenty-Four


Fastening her arms about his wide shoulders, her legs safely tucked into his sides, she was reassured with security as he transported them to the source that brewed of trouble. As they arrived onto the scene, Kris quickly scoped out his surroundings, his grip on the girl above him tightening. She held her breath, the sight of bloodshed outside of the fight-zone disrupting her current of thoughts.

Few remained in their human form, the lot of the packs transformed into wolves, claws extended, slashing through fur and muscle. The leaders had attempted to quell the violence, but their commands went unheard, Suho hopelessly tugging apart two of his brothers. Yongguk went on the offensive, defending his wounded Zelo, his bite ferocious, while JR ordered his pack to keep together.

Kris’s pack fought with the neighboring groups, as well as with themselves. Tao had Kai pinned to the hard ground, his paws crushing the young lad’s lungs, all the while snarling. Chaerin could not catch the members that tumbled, trying to tear apart their opponents, teeth bared, tails sweeping; there were too many, and they were too animated to hone in on.

Her calm giant, on the other hand, could and he released her, his long, arm swiftly coming to shield her from a blow that shot after him. Disgruntled that he had been discovered, not to mention that they wanted to fight him, he covered her, his strength and experience easily knocking aside pests. But, the wolves re-grouped, and Chaerin shivered, yellow, orange, and red shortening her breath.

In droves, they launched themselves at Kris, and tackled him to the ground.

Realizing she posed a heavy burden, she cried to him that he could fight, she assured him she had her silver, and she moved away, albeit wobbly. The furry mongrels were too enthralled with each-other to give a damn about her presence in their midst and she was going to hide, she honestly was (the pit of bloodlust driven werewolves too dangerous for her to stick her neck out, even for friends) until she noticed a couple of the mangy mutts sped away from the area, and towards the campus.

.

Regaining vigor, she chased after them, leaves and branches scraping her arms and legs, her determination pushing her forward. Steadily, she ran faster and faster, her heart pounding fiercely against her chest, her hand already gripping the silver chain.

A dreadful scream tore through the trees, the air, and she forced her legs to hurry, forced her mind to ignore the pain pulsating along her sides. Successfully reaching the clearing, she plunged forth, landing crudely on a beast that had been growling at several terrified human faces.

He thrashed, kicked her from him, her head thudding on the ground, scattering coherence for a split second. Rearranging herself, she absorbed the action, spotted wolves tossing a human about carelessly, his screams filling the air. She hissed for the others to flee, her body prepping itself for a battle, her palm painfully clenching the potent chain as one of them eyed her, his ears twitching.

Steeling her nerves, she willed herself to remain rooted to the spot even after he propelled his way to her, barking fiercely. Once in her range, she gripped the silver with both of her hands, and shoved past his teeth, resolved to keep it pressed along his saliva coated jaws. It hissed around the corners of his mouth dragging out his whines, but she was torn from him, another canine having latched onto her hair, yanking her backwards.

Her weapon cluttered to the floor, out of reach, the wretched dog pacing beside her, sniffing her. Kris’s scent wafted its way into the wolf’s snout, repelling him, his eyes narrowed, his fangs displayed. Shrugging off her disorientation, she staggered to her feet, a wretched cry reeling her – the human!

She reached for the silver, however, her hand was snatched up by one of the more focused beasts, his canines burying into her flesh. Chaerin yelled in anguish, her free appendage smacking the wolf, tearing at his eyes hopelessly. Fighting back an onslaught of tears, she used her other arm to pull the silver out, and lashed at the monster, his jaws retracted.

Fresh blood coursed along her left arm, the substance sticky and thick. Curling the chain around her right fist, she evaded the other wolves lurking in the area and latched onto the furry creature picking at the fallen human. Huffing, she wrapped it tightly about his throat, tugging him back, away from his battered prey. He yelped, his fur burning, sizzling, charred skin reaching his olfactory nerves, but she was only motivated to dig it in tighter until he released the young victim.

His large size toppled her over, sent her sprawling, although she managed to quickly recover. Snarling at the wolves, she threatened them with the deadly, gleaming element wrapped in her fist and earned a treat when they hung back, growling and barking as a team. She jabbed her finger behind her, urging them to return to the group, and after taunting them with the silver, they flew past her.

Exhaling harshly, she finally cast an eye on the throttled human, scrutinizing the weak rise of his chest. On closer inspection, she realized she knew this person and it almost choked her up.

Chaerin screamed.


“Sanghyun-ah!” The woman shouted, shaking his shoulders, his head, anything to spark life into his pretty little eyes. She had never been terrified of a color before in her life, the red splattered everywhere. Crying, she held his head gently, her grip loose. Blood flowed from him, his body surrounded in a large puddle by the time she was pulled from him, her clothes soaked in crimson. 

She had just been cradling his head, where was she now? Who was dragging her away?

Sanghyun-ah.”

His name fell from her lips repeatedly, her selfish desire to see Sanghyun inciting her to struggle against the person determined to keep her from her friend. He grunted, confronted her, and –oh, Kris. She refused to desist her actions, tears spilling down her cheeks, her face flushed.

Gently, he cupped the sides of her face, pressed his forehead against hers in that familiar way, whispering to her, trying to calm her. But Chaerin persisted, this time it had become personal, her eyes wildly looking back at the man she was tied to. Switching to a different tactic, he merely held her in his embrace, soothing her sobs as he her back.

Eventually, she wearily slumped against him.

The last of the night was filled with the scent of Kris, the sight of blood, and the thought of Sanghyun.