Twenty-Six

My Sweet Devil

Twenty-Six


“Parting is such sweet sorrow.”

Puzzled, Chaerin could only glance at the manager of the library, his appearance slack, untidy, his voice hoarse – a most unusual look for him, if anything. Casually, she fidgeted with the strap of her purse, expecting Mr. Lee to elaborate his peculiar choice of words. Realizing silence was settling in, she opted to bow and continue on her way, documents clasped under her arms.

Her whole purpose for showing up was to resign and she needed to snag a couple of cardboard boxes to stuff her office supplies in, else she be forced to carry each object on her own (oh, the endless trips back and forth). Finals week was nearing and studies were priority, she couldn’t dawdle along her job and supernatural for a while.

However, her boss always possessed a way of words that had her thinking and doubting.

“You should let go while you still have the chance. It will only make things more difficult should you linger.” Even as he addressed her, he refused to confront his dutiful employee, his solemn features concentrated on the view his window displayed. “Chaerin, it’s over. Whatever game you played along with, whatever tune you danced to – it has come to an end.”

He spoke in a grave wisdom that had the gears of her mind churning, desperately trying to make sense of his statement. Brusque, she replied, “Thank you for everything, Mr. Lee.” And she carried herself at a quicker pace, she did not want to dwell in negativity, but he already had her in his web of mystery.


Finally inside her home, she kicked aside her heels, cast aside her cumbersome bag, and made her way over to the kitchen – a most pleasant aroma pulling her in. Her ears caught the hint of clattering utensils, a gruff voice reprimanding the directions of a quick-fix homemade meal.

Upon the sight of Kris squinting his eyes mercilessly at a hastily scrawled slip of paper, the corners of stretched into a slight smile. After debating hopelessly with himself, he noticed her, her head tilted, her eyes sparkling mischievously. Spatula in hand, he made to inquire the nature of her trip when she surprised him by boldly stepping up to him, her intent to close the distance between their lips.

Alas, her decision to remove her heels proved a great disadvantage in this situation, hardly reaching his chin. In turn, Kris flashed a grin, clearly amused by her antics. Aggravated, she huffed, snatched the top of his shirt and abruptly lowered him to her stature, successfully pecking his lips. He shook with laughter, his irises glittering under the kitchen light. 

Thoroughly irritated, she rolled her eyes, and sent him back to his cooking duties.

“You only use me for meals.” Kris fawned, dabbing his dry eyes.

“Think of it as rent. Plus, you can whip up some amazing meals.” She waved a chip towards him.

Frowning, he approached her, removing the bag of chips in her hold. “You’ll ruin your appetite.” He whispered, his eyes staring down intensely.

“Oh.” She mumbled a little too breathlessly. Remembering where she was, she stole the chips from his grip, displaying the curves of her body as she sashayed her way to the cabinets. Stowing the snack away, she faced him, compliant. “Alright, now get to it, dog-boy.”

A dark-gleam reached his eyes, a smirk uplifting the corners of his mouth. “I suppose that’s an improvement from ‘Mr. High and Mighty’.” He returned to his dish, referring once more to his recipe.

Tying her hair back, she nosily intruded on Kris’s space, peeking over his arm to see what it was he seemed so focused on reading. “What exactly are you preparing today?”

“It’s a pasta dish one of my brothers loves to make. The taste is wonderful and I hoped to woo you by presenting you with it.”

Brow arched, she asked, “Why would you be determined to woo me?”

“Scratch off my rent dues.”

“Oh, please.” Chaerin lightly smacked his arm. “All that hardwork just to have me knock aside those rent payments?”

Cheekily, he smiled. “Mm. Do you truly wish to know?” He lowered the flame of the stove, a movement Chaerin failed to notice.

“Now, I’m not so sure. Good things never happen when such a question is posed.”

Kris erupted into laughter before he caught her, his mouth roughly starting a slew of kisses from to her quivering lips. She temporarily thrived in the passion and gusto he was set on bathing her in until she refused to be completely dominated by him. Fiercely, she matched his touches, faced him head-on, her tiny palms alternating between pushing against his firm chest and tugging at the buttons on his loose shirt

Lord, he tasted so good.

His slender fingers found themselves at her skirt, attempting to unclasp it, only to have a struggle ensue with the latch. Becoming increasingly resentful of the darned switch, his kisses intensified as a result, bruising her. Chaerin smiled against his lips, and he grunted, leaning back, eyeing the latch in absolute loathing.

Slipping once more into reality, far from her haze-induced thoughts, she realized they had gone from the stove to the counter, her back resting quite comfortably against the granite. Cheeks flushed, she grinned sheepishly at the man hovering over her, examining her sinfully tight skirt, and sat forward, her hand easily sliding the latch off, much to his ire.

For a moment, she taunted him, and then knocked her forehead upon his to calm his raging male ego. Like the vixen she was, she flicked off a few of the buttons of his shirt, seducing him with each action, each flicker of her eyes.

Lips an inch from his, a deep crimson seeped into his swirling irises, and his mouth tensed, his body b with a great desire to crush against her. But, she pulled back, a smile across her features, and she gestured to his pot. “It’s foaming, dear. You should fix that right away.”

Groaning as any deprived man could, he murmured, “Tease.” Quickly he cleaned up the mess and swooped her up in his arms, her excited shrieking filling his ears.


His long arms encased her in a hold of security and warmth, his head nuzzling along her shoulder. She fought off the sleep crawling along her senses, her focus consistently drifting to a lull.

“What did he say?”

Chaerin burrowed lazily into his chest, her words slurred. “Nothing extraordinary. More of an awkward silence settled in.” Coherence faltering, she felt that Kris didn’t need to know Mr. Lee’s odd sentiment, the familiar words capable of haunting both of their thoughts.

“If you say so, “He murmured, caressing her arm.


Two weeks had passed following Sanghyun’s incident and that mistake of a meeting, Chaerin efficiently eluding every single dog except for one. Kris remained by her side, accompanied her on her visits to the hospital, consoled her in her state of need, and they had grown together, strengthening the bond betwixt them. Since he took up residence in her home, they had become closer physically and emotionally – they had come to know one another.

The break away from the wolves had been her idea, she needed to cool her head before she faced them once more, lest she spew words of hate, words she would regret. In that short amount of time, she also kept a watchful eye on Sandara – Bom couldn’t spend her time looking after the poor girl twenty-four seven.

Final exams on the rise, she decided she needed to cut off unnecessary activities, thus she went off to the facility’s library, resigning from her post until further notice. It had been an odd thing to see Mr. Lee at his desk, his true identity now known to her, his importance and status with the boys something both remarkable and fearful.

She had pondered his chilling statement on her own, she had not wanted to bother Kris with what could be her paranoia.

So, here they were, Kris paying his dues through meals, Chaerin allowing him to sleep beside her, the two teasing each other constantly. Now, she could understand Bom and Siwon’s relationship with the exception that her giant could be a bit more feral.