Twenty-Eight

My Sweet Devil

Twenty-Eight


It had been more of a fool’s wish to have the boys behave, Chaerin mused as she witnessed, once more, their verbal sparring. She had been stunned to see all three packs, all members gathered together for this one meeting.

Of course, disaster would strike at some point – it just happened to be from the moment they convened.

JR had his boys under wraps, trained to remain cool as they could not suffer any more casualties. Yongguk’s crew on the other hand had vibrated with tension at the very sight of Kris’s pack. Kai’s ensemble of cronies were more than willing to egg on a fight, a few remarks finding its way to the youngest ones, Zelo and Jongup. Himchan was a professional in sending retorts to his opponents in three seconds flat and that had to be the most impressive thing she had witnessed so far.

She caught the eye of Baekho, his face apologetic for what occurred; she refused to look his way again, her hand clenching painfully, her emotions conflicted.

Kris and Suho temporarily banded together to quell the anger brewing in their midst, and Yongguk gruffly announced his desire for s to kindly shut the up as well.

As they settled in, Chaerin leaning against the arm of Kris, JR cleared his throat, spoke first. “Why is it you have arranged for us to meet again in this manner? Were not all issues addressed or resolved?”

Confused, she turned towards her lanky wolf. “You already held a gathering like this? Kris, what’s going on?”

Grimly, he replied, “No, not all matters were given light the last time we commenced a meeting.”

Suho continued for him, his flourish of words shutting down her mind. “We exposed ourselves to several humans the last time we allowed misunderstandings and anger to blind us. They have spoken amongst themselves, they have spread the terrible nature of these beasts, and they have reason to suspect they inhabit an area near the campus.”

This time, they found it wise to listen.

“Investigations might start up soon enough. We are no longer safe to freely roam this region in our true forms.”

Speechless, she gaped at Kris. What did that mean-?

Kris sighed. “Forget the truce we have agreed upon just for a few seconds; we are proclaiming this to you all because we are of the same race, we are of the same species, we are one.”

“And you can decide upon your next course of action accordingly.”

Chaerin had honed in on the man to her side, her eyes failing to catch the glum expressions falling on the faces of the wolves surrounding them. Kai had been so stunned as to lose his ability to stand.

He finally confronted Chaerin’s gaze, his eyes sincerely woeful.

“We have already decided.”


“What did you mean you guys have already decided? What are you withholding from me? Yah!” Chaerin cried, ripping her hand from his grasp, her eyes wildly searching for an answer. Her world had begun to spin the moment those words fell from his dainty lips and the rest of the night had become a blur, so shaken had she been.

His reaction had been to drown her thoughts away with his kisses, his desires. In her vulnerable and perplexed state he managed to thwart her insistent questions.


Morning came and went, and it was the first of many more days to come where she did not wake to him.

She hissed a string of profanities, hurled her pillow at the wall. “You .”

He effectively end her curiosity with his passion, his charm, and he left – just like that. The guy had disappeared without so much as a goodbye and she could not help but curse his very existence.

Don’t you trust me?”


Her days dwindled, her months flew by, times changed. She returned to the days when he had not been introduced into her life; he had made sure to keep his boys away from her. What the others did were none of her business and they had not made to include her anyhow.

By now, everyone talked of the possible creatures infiltrating the campus, horror stories gaining a new spunk. Distraught, she channeled her distress into energy for studying for finals week, she still had a career to pursue, a future she wanted to have and she refused to botch those plans for a boy.

A boy that was no longer there.


“Chae, you sure you don’t want to join in our celebration?” Sandara posed, using her most effective doe-like appearance.

Joyously, Chaerin laughed, “Maybe I’ll catch you guys later. I have a few things left to do before I officially walk off campus and straight into vacation.” Sandara wrapped her arms around her. “Okay, but do not go do something stupid, at least not without me.”

Chaerin parted with her friend and strung her bag over her shoulder, gradually walking through the campus. It was the final day of the term, final day of school for Bom and Dara, and they had set a mini-party to bask in the memories and enjoy what was left.

Siwon and Sanghyun were sure to accompany the girls and drink their little hearts out. But, this young woman had a personal matter to attend to before she joined in on the fun.

Once again, the familiar path cut into the cluster of trees reappeared into view, the trail forsaken, unused since she quit her stint at the library. Her pace quickened and the oak tree loomed into view, her body lurching forward to touch its crude bark, to memorize it. Instantly she was bombarded by the memories stretching from Baekho to Kai, Luhan to Kris. Her knees buckled, her body slipping to the ground, her fingertips ghosting over the trunk.

She had had a whirlwind of a term here at this institution, her outlook on life shattered by the existence of supernatural creatures – she wasn’t positive what more could be breathing beyond those furry mutts and she wasn't willing to find out.

While her life had been put at stake on multiple occasions, she mused that it hadn’t all been so terrible. Precious moments would be with her till the end of her time and she would cherish them as much as she could.

Ah, how she sorely missed her frustrating wolves.

Although, none of them had bothered with a decent farewell. “s, the lot of you!”

“I always did wonder if I should carry a bar of soap to cleanse your tongue of swearing.”

Hysterical, she erupted into righteous laughter, her hands holding her aching sides. “You just happen to catch me when I am in a foul mood, you bastard.” Tears filled her eyes, and she bit her lip in a foolhardy attempt to keep them from pouring. Kris leaned against the other of the bark, his back leaning on the trunk of the oak.

“You have no right appearing out of nowhere, appearing as you please, you-“Subsequently, he had her trapped in his arms, his lips grazing her head. “I’m sorry.” He whispered urgently, repeatedly. Fury may have possessed her for some time after he vanished, however, it no longer lingered and she grasped onto him for dear life, rivers falling from her eyes. “Why?” Why.

“I wanted you to resume your studies, I wanted you to fall back into life the way it had been before you met me because-“Kris paused dangerously. “Because we will be leaving by nightfall.”

She lost her grip on reality. “What?”

“Word has spread quickly of that strange sighting and attack, Chaerin. We are not safe and pack comes first and foremost.” He hissed.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“You would have worried and you would have attempted to formulate a substitute for that plan like the foolish woman you are.”

Angrily, she cupped the sides of his face and ensnared his lips in rough kisses. He had voiced the truth; he had only been looking out for her and that set her heart ablaze. They were in danger of discovery, their safety was priority, what business had it been of hers to know? She only knew him.

Heavily, she panted, inches from his own, her frenzy calmed. “Was it really the only way?”

With a kiss to her nose, he answered, “Yes.”