Twenty-One

My Sweet Devil

Twenty-One


Harsh words she never could have imagined falling from the lips of the pleasant, sweet old man flowed freely from him. He lectured and scolded the lot, and heatedly commented that the council were thoroughly disappointed in their course of actions. The deadline had not been met – no leader had been crowned.

They only reaped chaos and Chaerin had become a consequence of their inability to work as a team.

Here, he stared her down, his dark orbs silencing her from retorting or defending herself. Conflict amidst themselves seemed to increase as they handled their issues without help from fellow clans or allies.

“Have you nothing to say?”

Kai, refusing to be further humiliated in front of a human, bit out. “Why is she here?”

“Foolish boy. Why? You dare inquire the nature of her presence when you irresponsible children are the very reason she is here?”

A nudge from Sehun prevented Kai from digging his grave any deeper.

Mr. Lee the candidates for the alpha position. “You left her knowledge she should never have been gifted with. You have become weak. She should not even be breathing. You are unfit to be leaders with the mess you have wrought. Not only does she know of you, she knows of two others. And she stinks like one, at that. I would have your heads on a platter if you so much as exposed your secrets to another. Your lives should be priorities.”

Kris was singled out, Mr. Lee snarling. “Her putrid scent clung to your flesh for days. Do not think me ignorant of your tryst. You have been involved with her since day one.” He ranted on, gesticulating towards the befuddled young woman. “How will you resolve this issue? Our world must not be known to any human. It is our most important and sacred rule. If you are to be leader, if you are to be with us, you will fix this without any delay.”

Speechless, Chaerin observed as Kris stepped forth, and crouched down to her level. Tenderly, he tugged her by the chin, bringing her face to his own, his warm breath caressing her cheek.  He had done this before, except the intentions were quite different now. “You are right. Our world must not be known by any human. Unless…”

Her eyelids drooped as he traced her jaw with his thumb.

“They are worth something more.”

His hands cradled her face, and he sunk his teeth into the exact area Baekho had marked her, a cry erupting from her welled up throat. Mr. Lee witnessed the event stonily, surprise stealing the words right out of his mouth. Varying from outrage to shock, Kris's pack-mates all shared a similar question - what was he doing

Her noggin a mess, she hung onto him, her body betraying her, ready to give out from the pain that coursed through her. , it felt like he was drilling his way into her flesh; she didn't even think Baekho went as far. 

Red eyes pinned to Mr. Lee, Kris asked her if she was fine. Although her vision flickered, her strength faltered, she spat she was just dandy. Mr. Lee turned, the meeting at its final note. "Involving humans so brashly will only harken to trouble. You shall see."

“I will not recognize her.” Kai snorted, his half evading Kris's gaze. Luhan watched on grimly, leaving only at Xiumin's call, the boys shaking their heads. Their leader was going to give them a head-ache for the long run with his sole-decision making.

“Kris, what the hell did I just witness?”

Busying himself with helping her stand, he mused that he had a lot to inform her of.  He began with her newly added mark.

“I marked you anew.”

She froze.

“I have staked my claim.”

“I am not an object to just claim-“

I know.” He whispered, hushing her as he rested his forehead against hers, something he seemed to thoroughly enjoy. “But this is something between wolves and this weighs more than you know. You now carry my scent. It is meant to ward off competitors, and extend protection. Chaerin, do you trust me?”

With these new complications arising, she wasn't really sure how to respond, she just knew she was in this for the long-haul. "You have a lot of explaining to do."