Nine

My Sweet Devil

Nine


Chaerin sat on her bed, cross-legged, reviewing her decision to tell the boys what she knew, even if the information was a tad skewed. In order to completely, and successfully hop on board with the regular, human throng, she needed to remain the hell away from werewolves and supernatural forces. Were there other species…?

No, she didn’t really need to know.

Returning to the matter on hand, she now knew of another pack hiding in the midst of this institution. Her hand slapped a pillow to her face. She inwardly groaned, she was never going to lead a normal life and certainly not when she felt the urge to help retrieve Baekho, considering he had been under her care. 

What if she could do more than simply pass information along?

Chaerin blinked, decided she was not fit for establishing a course of action in her drowsy state at 3 in the morning, and crawled under her covers.


The very next morning she was consumed with whether or not to plunge into the unknown and save the life of a young wolf, excluding the fact that he had tried to kill her earlier on, so much so she forgot she had school to attend to.

She arrived late to her first period class, slipping in among the students when they were released outside to relish in nature, and concoct their own wholesome environment for youthful children. Sandara gasped and launched herself in the blonde’s way with elation. “I thought you fell ill or something. You had me worried, Chae.”

“Calm down, Unnie. A little sickness wouldn’t stop me and leave you with them. Boys are not to be trusted.” Especially if they ended up as another species altogether. “You take care of the freshman.” She directed; Sandara nodded her head fiercely.

Remembering she had a black notebook in her care, Chaerin reached back into her bag when her own notebook was shoved under her nose. “I believe there was a mix-up.” Floored, she ogled the owner of the low, hoarse voice. He cocked his head, a shy smile on his features. The blond hair had her crashing back onto earth.

He was Sandara’s partner.

Fumbling with her carry-on, she flushed and returned it to its rightful owner subsequently. She thought Kris’s voice had been deep.

Nervously, he scratched the back of his head. “I’m sorry. Did I frighten you?”

It was almost cute the way he had the appearance of a typical bad-boy and shined like a child.

“N-no,” She cursed her stutter. “I was just surprised to have my notebook pop out of nowhere.”

His smile widened, his gums peeking out underneath his lips from the sheer idea she was not terrified of the big lug. “My bad.”

Composed, she extended her hand, and introduced herself. “I’m Lee Chaerin by the way. It’s nice to properly meet you.”

His eyes crinkled, his smile bordering sly. “Forgive me for not bothering with introductions,” His hand shake was strong, firm, definitely not the fist you’d want to be on the receiving end of. “I’m Bang Yongguk.”


Her day flew by, full of smiles and laughter, and just what every college girl was meant to feel.

The chemistry between her group skyrocketed; she wasn’t sure how Sandara did it but she tamed the freshman into actually being tolerable. Then there was Yongguk who was a jokester himself, the nutcase was also submerged into music, his dream to bestow the world with his talent. It felt like the life she always envisioned while studying at college.

And of course, Grandfather time decided to shorten the day and she was already shoving some books back onto their respective shelves at the campus library.

Paranoid, she gasped when she felt a soft tap on her shoulder. “Mr. Lee?” She called, grasping her heart.

He laughed, “I’m sorry, Chaerin. I just wanted to inform you that I was going to close up early today. You’re free to leave, now. I hope that’s not a problem?”

Sighing, she waved away his concerns. “It’s fine. It’s only nine, it works out perfectly either way.” She thanked Mr. Lee, said her farewells, and made her way home.

Her legs carried her down that familiar trail, her mind level-headed and certain of her safety. She just needed to keep within the bounds of the oak tree.

As she resumed her ideas of the early morning, her head creased in visible frustration. Chaerin hadn’t yet figured out what she wanted to do, regardless of whatever nonsense others were spewing.

Her finger came to scratch her chin when it paused, the sound of rustling behind her heightening her anxiety. She whipped around, scrutinizing the environment, and coming up short and empty, she picked up her pace. The crunching of leaves had her turning in a different direction than usual, her walking having evolved into running.

She ignored the branches and plants that smacked against her face, fear rising, she wasn’t sure where she was running. Her prayers hoped for something other than a wolf. 

Fate was chock full of surprises for her today.

Her shoulder caught, she screamed, gripped her bag, and prepared to throw it against her captor. His face was a blur, his body slammed into the nearby bushes by another figure shrouded by darkness. "Chaerin, are you okay?" She flinched, asking the guy to move no further.

Shadows shifted along his face and she noticed the gleam of his earring. "Are you from-?"

Teeth flashed nervously in assent, smashing against lips as his figure was throttled to the side. His opponent straightened himself, dusting his clothes off, flicking at twigs. Aron snapped up, his head absorbing his current obstacle - he glowed like the effervescent angel he appeared to be. His age was surely greater, Aron knew that much.

Shaking his head, he stood on wobbly legs, hands dangling at his sides, adjusting into claws. The angelic rival cocked his head, beckoned him forth. Aron obliged, swiping away at his twisting foe; he had agility, Aron had accuracy. Chaerin observed the two dance in their human forms,

Aron landing a few scrapes, his competitor hanging back, his lips curled - he was toying with his opponent. He lured in Aron, manipulating him to believe he had the upper-hand, and slammed his knee into his side, knocking the wind out of him.

Slender fingers latched onto his shirt, flipped him onto his back, his own claw prepped for landing into his throat. The arm hovered, poised to murder, the process disrupted by Chaerin careening herself towards him, his weight thrown off the throaty rookie. 

"Please, don't kill this boy." She murmured, having confirmed his character; she stretched her arms ahead of his beaten form.

The building tension diminished following the remembrance of his face in all its innocent beauty. “It was you!” She proclaimed, “You carried me home.”

Luhan grinned. “I’m glad I wasn’t forgotten so easily.”

Squashing her awe whereupon she realized she had forgotten the second life-form, she hurriedly turned to Aron, checking his breathing, his wounds. 

"He'll live," Luhan drawled, casually retracting his claws. "I made sure to avoid vital areas." He stepped forward, but retreated at her grimace. 

She shied away. "I’m supposed to be avoiding all these suspicious characters.”

His cheeky guise took a blow. “Suspicious? When I have this face?”

She remained mute, tending to Aron.

“I am quite trustworthy. Kris seems to think so.” His retort was accompanied by a flash of red rimmed eyes. “And, I did save you from your wild friend.”

“Well, then do me a favor and help him stand.”

Resigned to his set objective, he threw an arm around Aron's shoulder, hauled him up. "Refrain from bleeding on me, yeah?"

Chaerin sighed, scrutinized the lopsided pair. "He needs to get back to his group. I cannot afford another wolf in my home."

Daze lifting from him, Aron groaned, shrugging off his pillar. "That can be arranged." 

Luhan huffed. "Thank the Heavens for that."

Resisting the desire to roll her eyes, she faced Aron. "I thought you guys agreed to leave me alone. Are words said with very little conviction, nowadays?"

He sighed. "It became more complicated when we realized you were marked by Baekho."

She furiously blinked, as if the action would help her comprehend his statement.

A strained look crossed his features, his fingers tugging at his collar. "You're marked, Chaerin." His eyes roved over her shoulder, her hand slapping to the brand.

"What do you mean marked?"

"Werewolves are born, they're not made. So, in the past, when our kind desired to form an alliance beyond the canine species, or even take on a mate, they decided to 'mark' these outsiders. We're able to release a poison of sorts into other creatures, it's not potent, and the recipient shall be dosed with our scent, sealing the alliance."

Luhan interjected, "You were pretty much sworn into their pack. It’s not complete, but it’s enough for them to extend their protection to you.” He rubbed the crick in his neck. “Think of it as being part of the group, minus the fur and claws.”

Chaerin was rendered speechless.

“We apologize for the inconvenience. And, I was assigned to look out for your welfare. We’re essentially tied, so I was able to reach you quickly.”

“The bastard marked me.” She hissed, she couldn't move past the notion.

“You should go while you still can. I’m not sure if I can hold back the others that catch onto your presence. We’re in a feud at the moment and aren't exactly seeing eye to eye. Don’t fret, I got her, I saved her before your boy tore her to shreds. “Luhan advised. Aron gave a curt nod of his and fled the premises, leaving a vexed Chaerin and leery Luhan 

Cheeky grins flashed her way. "I was wondering who you mingled with."