Twenty-Seven

My Sweet Devil

Twenty-Seven


Groggily, Chaerin prodded Kris awake, her teeth peeking out in a smile. “Sanghyun’s getting discharged today.”

His eyes slanted towards the clock, and deducing it was way too early to be rejoicing for the matter at hand, settled for smothering her in a hug, basking in her scent.

“Yah! What do you think you are doing?”

He smirked.


Chaerin stood patiently by the front desk as the clerks sifted through documents and patient information to properly direct her to Sanghyun’s new room that he had recently settled in. Her calm giant forced his eyelids open, battling with the sleep that threatened to overpower his senses every few minutes.

The past week he had been involved in some events with his pack, and he still managed to return to her, careless of the hour, and it seemed to have taken its toll on him. She never did ask what it was he had to be engaged in that it tired him so, he deserved respect, and his privacy.

Frankly, she was amazed by how well he could hold up, she would not have lasted more than two days without decent rest. The werewolf in him probably prepared him for these kinds of situations.

After acquiring Sanghyun’s room number, she slipped her hand into Kris’s, and the two walked off, a pleasant air about them.


Chaerin urged Kris to accompany her farther than the lounge, a look of weariness flashing across his features. He sighed, but agreed.

Park Bom was the first one they came upon, the young woman nervously pacing outside Sanghyun’s door. Swiftly and tightly, they hugged each-other, Bom’s shoulders sagging in relief, as well as whispering appreciatively of Chae’s young beau.

Flipping her hair back, she mentioned that Siwon had received a call and could not make it today, but sent his regards. Following their brief reunion, Kris promptly introduced himself, albeit sleepily, his tone even more throaty than usual. A red twinge tainted Bom’s cheeks, a knowing smile flitting across her features.

“Unnie!” Chaerin cried, nudging Kris aside. For the duration of the time, the girls exchanged in silly banter until a nurse emerged from the patient’s door and announced they could come in when they were ready. Bom went in first, the white door sliding shut behind her, the sound shattering Chaerin’s surge of courage.

Her lovely companion held her hand and assisted her to the door, encouraging her to step through without aid. White filled her sight, the room just as bright as the rest of the hospital. Shielding her unusually sensitive eyes, she then found Bom doting over Sanghyun, tears slipping down her chin. He was crushed against her chest, the woman rubbing her cheek against his head merrily.

To her left, on the single couch was Sandara, dark circles beneath her swollen eyes, the older sister, finally, asleep comfortably.

Sanghyun straightened himself, dusted his clothes, and Chaerin stilled, her breathing short. He had since shed his countless bandages, his body free of the massive bruises he had acquired the night of the attack. Pale, thin, but alive.

Hesitantly, she approached him, guilt weighing her soul down, only to have it washed away by his embrace. “Sanghyun.” She mumbled, her entire being trembling beyond control – god, the waterworks were even on the verge of unleashing.

The simple reunion came to an end, the boy determined to walk around, test his strength. Bom opted to help him and Chaerin remained to look after an unconscious Sandara.


She sat on the floor beside Dara’s couch, nicely leaning on the wall, softly talking for the both of them. “I’m glad he’s okay.” Relieved, she hugged her knees to her chest. “I am always here for you two, don’t you ever forget that Unnie.”

She continued, “I have someone I want you to meet, when you’re better, well-rested and all that. He’s quite the character, if I do say so myself. I hope you guys like him, he’s very dear to me. But, it’s all so complicated.” She focused her gaze on the tiled floor. “And I’m worried that there’s something I’m missing here. There’s a piece to this puzzle I have yet to find…”

Spotting Kris out in the hallway, she moved to retrieve him, but she was kept restrained by a grip on her wrist. Startled, she faced her friend, her large, brown orbs reading her every move. “Don’t go, Chae. Don’t go.”

Rude though it may have been, she almost laughed. “I’m sorry, what?”

“There’s something not right about him.”

“Sandara, what are you talking about-?”

“You’re surrounded by his aura and it’s just so dark. Chae-“

“Dara, you aren’t talking about those things again, are you? Don’t worry about that. You guys go on ahead, I got her.” Bom replied knowingly as she returned to the room, her hands on her hips, Sanghyun curiously to her left.

“R-right.” She hugged her friends one last time for the day, ideas spinning.

“And be careful!” Her oldest friend chirped. “They say there are some dangerous wild animals roaming the area. Try not to go to the library so late or attend unaccompanied.”

A bitter smile reached the blonde, she had to inform her friend of her resignation another day it seemed. “I’ll do my best.”

Kris inquired, “Did everything go well?”

Chaerin sputtered, “Yes. It’s just that the rumor mill seems to have been ignited. Talking of wild beasts.” Kris acknowledged her statement with a curt nod, his hand squeezing hers in solace. “Do not worry.”

She shook her head. Sandara had merely added a new thought to her already mind-numbing plate.


“Are you still enraged?”

Meekly, she pondered her response. “Not so much, now.” It was not even her desire to find out exactly whom inflicted harm on her friend, she just wanted to shove some sense down their throats. They had all failed to restrain themselves, they had failed in simple civility, and that had been the last straw. 

“Can you still face them?”

Softly, the corners of stretched. “I’m not going to let this go till I confront this head on.”

“As always.”


Another month was on the verge of coming to a close and she had yet to confront the packs due to Kris’s idea to let her fully cool down. As she dried her plates, she looked over at her dinner table, and her mind wondered what had occupied Kris today.

These days he had become absent more frequently, his appearances usually during the peak of night, and he never failed to nuzzle her awake – he needed her and she did not question why. 
She stretched her limbs, glanced at her calendar, the circled date of this weekend glaring at her. She would finally meet the wolves she had long evaded.

Polishing her pan, she dabbled in the gossip-mill, the women chattering up a storm these past weeks. Far-fetched things from aliens, to monsters popped up in conversations and her school was not having any of that. Kris seemed to tense when she brought up those comments, she should have asked why. Well, these things probably weren’t a positive addition to the werewolves’ reputation.

Chaerin groaned, and called it a night before her thoughts swarmed her entirely.


It was a small prodding at first, that evolved into a ticklish feeling along her shoulder, , and she finally jolted awake. “What-?” Kris hushed her, hugging her to his chest, his fingers dancing about her arms and legs. “Kris?” She muttered drowsily.

“Do you still want to join me this weekend?” He pressed a kiss to .

She moaned, “Of course. That shouldn’t even be a question.”

Decisively, he hummed, rubbed against her cheek.

“Is there something wrong?”

“No.”