Twenty-Three

My Sweet Devil

Twenty-Three


“What's your infatuation with foreheads?” Chaerin inquired, dusting her clothes before she moved to sit beside him. His silence prompted her to persist, declaring he owed her a hell of a lot.

“There was a mother figure in our life when we remained in the clan. She would knock her forehead and press kisses against ours. I suppose it’s become an unconscious habit of mine.”

She poked his rib, “I think I have waited long enough to hear about that second attack launched on me. What kind of misunderstanding are we speaking of?” Chaerin had to fight that one out of him. He relented before her nagging could increase, and explained that his pack had thought Kris acquired himself a woman, and when he could not be reached, attacked her to grab his attention.

She attempted a nonchalant look, but the blush staining her cheeks ruined the effort. “Oh, s.”


He had his arm about her shoulder, his chin hovering near her head, Chaerin tracing the lines etched in his palm.

“Do you ever regret our first encounter?”

She hesitated, her brows creasing. Time had flown by since their very first interaction. “When my map smacked your face?”

He smirked, “When you were lost trying to find the library. Right under your nose, might I add?”

“No one asked you.”

Do you?

Chaerin ceased her ministrations, met his unwavering gaze. “And, what of you? I’m sure your lives would have been simpler without the inclusion of a human.”

“Chae-“

“No,” Her whisper fluttered as she knocked her forehead into his, the intimate gesture possessing even more power with the recent knowledge she acquired. “No.”

He adjusted his angle, his lips inches from her own, his answer washing over her in waves. “The thought has never crossed my mind, my path. Why would I be filled with regret for meeting you?”

“Well, danger and trouble seem to be quite attached to me. It looks like we’re a package deal. Isn’t that attractive?”

He laughed.


“We need to resolve all of this , Kris.”

He hummed in compliance.

“My vote's for straightening things out with the leaders – at least then the mutts will have to listen.”

Curiously, he watched her. “Just how do you propose we entangle the leaders into a meeting?”

Chaerin grumbled, “Am I the brains of this operation?”

“Aren’t I merely the brawn of this duo?”

Exasperated, she gave up. “I’ll figure it out.”

 Kris cradled her face, smirking slyly. “Chae, we’re werewolves. I can initiate a meeting of sorts.”

Yah! Whose side are you on?”


The atmosphere was heavy, suffocating, full of tension and apprehension. Casually, he dug his shoe into the dirt, carved circles into the ground, three sets of eyes flitting in his direction. He gave them no other response, keeping to himself, his own attention preoccupied by the figure beside him, her body taut, her hands curled tightly on her lap. She tried to keep a grace about her, show the wolves they did not have her unnerved, but they weren’t making this very easy on her.
Kris was aware that Suho was by far the most displeased amongst them, the ire in his irises relating all that he needed to know. Two alphas, which Chaerin knew by the names of JR and Bang Yongguk, stood close, a current flowing through them. Yongguk’s nostrils flared, his dissatisfaction at being dragged through the mud evident in his stance. His bulky build was also filled with the urge to tear Chaerin away from the lanky fellow when he smelled their scents intertwined. Chaerin was a dear friend, and he could not help but wonder if she even knew what she reeked of this time around. Surprisingly, the level-headed one in their midst was JR, who just happened to be the youngest. Mature beyond his years, he managed to retain a cool aura, allow the facts to arrange themselves before he moved so much as an inch towards the solution of violence.

Suho practically sulked, his arms hanging limp by his sides. Yellow irises occasionally glittered darkly at the human in their presence – he resented her with every fiber of his being. She had become more than a thorn in the side, she jumbled up their lives simply by existing and it was becoming increasingly difficult not to just glower at her. He shook his head, brushed his fingers through his soft locks. Ah, it seemed he had spent a little too much time around Kai. 

After much silence, Kris drooped his head on Chaerin’s shoulder, encouraged her to speak – she would not be hurt as long as he was here, plus the silver dangling from her neck had to reinforce her security.

Chaerin inhaled, exhaled – too shaky for her taste. Scrunching up her features as if she had just consumed something most foul, she drew the attention of the werewolves. Cautiously, she stood, Kris following her, his lean build framing her petite figure, assuaging her fears.

What could be expected – the girl did have unfavorable experiences with the mongrels.

Shoving her fear deep into the recesses of her mind, she relaxed a moment, and flickered her feline eyes on the three grown men that had to be forced into understanding the truth of the situation. A pink tongue darted out, swiped and moistened the lips, a fluttering anxiety peeking its way through, contrasting with the stern look in her brown orbs.


Numbly, Chaerin watched as Yongguk his head into Kris’s boundaries, his, loudly vocalized, sentences no more than hatred and insults towards the usually reserved giant. Strung along, Kris matched him for glares, his height adding further intimidation to his countenance. JR had Suho by the collar, his pupils dilated in blazing anger. It was as if they were all dragons, breathing torrents of fire, the air rippling with pressure. Hell, if tension was a being, it sure as hell had his pretty little hand around .

Ever the informative, she described the situation, and cleared misunderstandings. No, Yongguk’s crew were not responsible for Baekho’s condition, and yes, she believed that to be the truth – she had to snuff doubts before they sparked into disasters. He had lost total control of himself, and it would not be difficult to accept the fact that he possibly went on the offensive on everything that stumbled across his path. Maybe even Baekho could testify, surely he might have recalled something other than wolves the night he went awry? And while Ren, Zelo, and Kai had a brawl betwixt them, the boys had really been blowing off steam. She emphasized that it went for all of them. Suho colored shamelessly, the desire to slap his head in despair mighty. His wolves always caused some sort of trouble for him.

They should have been at a truce, not a stand still.

She was quite miffed that they hadn’t bothered to worry over what exactly harmed Baekho, but hey, boys would be boys no matter the species it seemed.

The message was delivered and they would do what they pleased, Chaerin mused bitterly. She took a step forward to tug Kris away and have them go home when she was hit with an intense wave of nausea, her body crumpling forward. A pained groan escaped her, her senses overrun by searing revulsion, and discomfort. Her body ached with a soreness, and she had the audacity to think that it was so odd, she had not exercised extraneously. Slipping to her knees, Kris caught ahold of her, his arms coming to secure her against him. She swore she saw stars flicker before her eyes.

Kris turned towards the others, the fighting dispersed, their backs straightened, their shoulders stiff, their eyes widened. In unison, they snapped their heads to the right, ears pricked, twitching. And Chaerin gasped, another nauseating force smacking against her violently. In that instant, the leaders fled along the same path, quick on their toes. Simmering down, Kris sat, placed the blonde on his lap, adjusted her head to rest on his chest.

“What the hell is this?” She cried, grasping the front of his shirt. God, she couldn’t place when she had last felt this ill.

He hushed her, “It’s alright. It should settle down in a moment. You’re feeling the full effect of the bond.” He gingerly touched her shoulder, his fingers tracing the scar. “Remember that you are allied with the pack and you are connected with us.”

Oh, that was right. What did Luhan say? She would be one with the pack, a member sans the claws and fur. Check.

“You are connected with all of the pack.”

All twelve. Oh, .

“Just like we can sense and seek you out through this link, so can you feel us. It's a two-way link. And it seems our boys have gotten a little rowdy.”

She grunted. A little?