Seven

My Sweet Devil

Seven


“You are aware of our nature.”

Astonished he was there - after so long- in the flesh, she could only stare at him aimlessly.

“We’re not human, at least not completely.”

And there it was, the truth she had been seeking, the very truth she had been denying. Dry lips peeled open, “Then, what are you?”

“I am a werewolf, Chaerin.”

“Well, .” Deflated, her head thudded against the trunk, her thoughts shriveling up at the revealed secret. She flickered her gaze over to him, his figure looming a few feet away. “Why did you tell me now? I mean, what changed your mind? I recall you were quite hung up on keeping everything hidden.”

He scowled. “You got in too deep.”

Chaerin resisted the urge to roll her eyes; she settled for closing them, her head crinkling in concentration. “What happened to Baekho?”

“You mean,” He paused, observed her messing with the bandage on her shoulder. “The wretched wolf who hurt you?”

“Yes.” Her response tight, dread enveloping her – he couldn’t have died, could he have?

“By his scent and his hostile actions, he’s a rookie. According to the scouts, he had difficulty maneuvering, and if he transformed when the moon wasn’t even full, he’s definitely new to this game. I’m not sure if he’s aware of his bloodline and, honestly, I don’t care. If he threatens the pack, he’s as good as dead.”

Roused, she confronted his dark-gaze. “I care, you bastard. You can’t just go and kill him when he’s not even sure what the hell is going on.” She could understand some of the pain Baekho was probably facing.

Kris bit out. “This is a neutral zone for wolves, disruption is not permitted. If he threatens to ruin this pact, he is as good as dead.”

“A neutral zone? Oh, god. There’s more.” She was glad she was resting on the ground, lest she collapse from all these details. “Wait, you said pack. Just how many more are there of you?”

He smirked. “Do you know for certain the amount of human beings that infiltrate this earth?”

“Oh, don't you get snippy with me.”

“For our pack, there are 12 total, including myself. Of course, there lurk wolves from different packs. The numbers can vary in length, especially if a pack has agreed to an alliance with another set.”

He returned to his previous statement, words failing her. “This particular institution was deemed a neutral territory by our ancestors, and we have chosen to respect that. There is, however, an arena of sorts, if you will, where everything and anything goes, it's actually just farther to the left of this oak.”

She gaped, “The fight-zone…?”

“The very one you almost landed yourself in. It would not have mattered much if they realized you were a human – if they wanted your death, they could have had it.”

It was barbaric, but she understood the reason for such a place. “Why, “She began, her tone firm,” was I attacked twice?”

He hummed, staring up at the green leaves.

“Kris.”

“Matters within the pack got out of hand. You carried my scent, they thought they were pursuing me for a moment, anger obscured your true face. It was a mistake the first time.”

“And the second time?” She said, incredulous.

“A misunderstanding.”

“That almost ended my life.” Chaerin hissed, daring to stand and confront her guide.

He towered over her, his height adding to the intimidation he was already exuding; she cared little for his desire to keep her aside. “You can be sure it was cleared up.”

Simmering down, she pulled away, sifting through her mind. “You’ve told me more than I should have ever known, what’s going to happen now?”

“I have filled you in what I believe is important, and what you deserve. Nothing more, nothing less. I still plan to cut you off.”

Eyes blazing she whipped her head towards him. “You bastard, what do you mean ‘cut me off?’”

She swore his irises shimmered red in the moment he turned his frosty gaze upon her. “This isn’t a game, Chaerin. Your life will be at stake if you continue to dabble with things beyond your comprehension. I’m doing you a favor by keeping you out of it.”

She shoved him, her fury great. “Who gave you the right to decide my fate?”

I did.” He rasped, his hand curled around her wrist.

Silence fell in between, thick and unsettling.

“I didn’t ask you to.” Chaerin muttered, ripping her wrist away from his grip. “You selfish- ah.” The world spun, and she fell, her body saved from the ground by the stretch of his arms.

And darkness slipped in.


“You’re just going to leave her there at her home, without any protection? Not even a guard?”

Kris flashed his friend a warning look.

Luhan grinned, shrugged his shoulders at his younger friend, but his next phrase carried a grave undertone. “Her friend is still out there. He’s marked his territory, he’s marked his pack-mate.”

“I am well aware of that fact.”

“Then, why is she being abandoned?”

Kris growled, made no other attempt to utter words, his legs swiftly walking along.

Luhan pulled at his blonde locks. “You stubborn idiot. What are you doing?” Light brown hues glanced where Chaerin was resting before following after his leader.

“I thought you had a soft spot for her.”