Nineteen

My Sweet Devil

Nineteen


“You’re a beacon for disorder. How does anyone handle you?” He smiled, her heart stopping for a split second. Months went by since their separation and their reunion was destined to come about over more supernatural shenanigans.

Though stung by a sliver of bitterness about her exclusion, the radiant Luhan easily wedged his way back into her favor and she allowed him to lead her back home. “One whiff of you and enemies will be prepared to attack in no time. Too many scents can cause confusion and provoke a wolf. Nasty stench.”

“Very funny.” She replied dryly. “Luhan, why would that boy accuse me of…well, I’m not even sure what he accused me of.”

Acquiring the gist of what she was trying to convey, Luhan’s cheery exterior faltered. “Ah, and Kris says I have a big mouth. Hmm.”

Looking ahead, he mentioned that Kris reacted unusually after gaining consciousness, his first instinct to bolt, open wounds in the process, and confront Suho. “He wanted to know if he harmed you. We have never seen him so crazed, so wild. Kind of unnatural. And,” Luhan hissed, throwing an arm directly in view of his eyes, his desire to emphasize his agony.“The idiot er-punched Suho. The rest was history. I swear, he must have wanted to be hit – as if the tension wasn’t already suffocating! He almost initiated a showdown, but Xiumin diffused his anger. That old man has quite the calming effect.” Luhan sighed.

“Kris was punished for his actions; he can’t leave the compound until he’s deemed sane.”

Chaerin patted Luhan on the shoulder, offering her condolences. It wasn’t easy looking after such a deranged leader. Silently, she felt a streak of glee at the notion he would react such a way for her welfare.

“Sorry about Kai. He probably wanted to vent, found an enemy he could pummel till you swapped places with him. He has some issues with humans, I’m afraid. Though, you always find us in times of anger or dejection.” He rambled on, filling the space with his soft voice, painful jokes, and updates– as if they had never parted.

Halting his speech at the first droplet of water to hit his nose, his curious gaze eyeing the darkening sky.

“Aren’t we supposed to be rain-free for the week?” She protected her eyes from the incoming drizzle. Luhan’s laughter chased after her. “Afraid of a little rain, Chae?”

She huffed.


Their journey ended almost as soon as it began. Unfortunately, he had to leave earlier than usual, his decision to drop her off near the entrance disheartening her slightly. She should be used to it by now.

“See you, Chae. If I don’t rid myself of your scent I will not hear the end of it. Avoid danger, will you?” For whatever reason he was wrenched away, he managed to ruffle her hair, and advise her to cheer up in advance of his departure.

She neared the corner, glanced at the streetlight, and pivoted, heading back from whence she came. Chaerin was running, chasing after Luhan’s shadow, the rain beginning to pour and pelt her form. Dazed, she had forgotten to clear the air between the rivaling packs, and perhaps it was her final chance to immortalize friendly faces.

They didn’t even exchange decent goodbyes, for christ's sake.

The rain blurred her vision, but she had been down this road so often it was ingrained in memory, she didn’t really need to see it. Her foot hit a loose patch of mud, she slipped, tumbled. Breathing harshly, she steadied herself, staggered to her feet, and ran. She collided against the trunk of her beloved oak tree, her nails tearing into the bark. Of course, the surrounding area was vacant, silent, wet.

Oh, she had been lucky to have seen Luhan and the two others, regardless of the turnout. It was only luck that allowed her to see them. Then the air charged, electrifying her nerves and she recognized the sensation. Breathless, she softly craned her head, her arms latched onto the trunk with a taut grip.

He leaned against the other side of the oak, his tall figure slumping against crude bark, his wrists red, and raw.

Hoarsely, he spoke first, “You reek.”

Chaerin flushed, her spunk bubbling. “You don’t smell so hot yourself.” She countered, realizing he had been standing out longer in the rain than she had, his body soaked to the bone.

“Why do you smell like a mutt?”

“I doubt that’s any of your business.”

Suddenly, she was pulled forward, his large hands engulfing her tiny wrists, his head burrowed in her neck, ghosting along her clavicle. One arm came to rest at her waist, the other grasping her arm, inching her closer to his body. Powerful odors came off her body in waves, tingling his nostrils, skewering his senses – it was an animalistic desire that rose out of him, urging him to cleanse her with his own scent.

 And yet, she resisted, prying at his wide berth. Mustering all her strength, she heaved him aside, her arms on his chest steadying her shaky balance. “You were gone for months. Don’t do as you please, you insensitive bastard. Just who are you to act so familiar?”

“Why don’t you take your own goddamned advice? For what purpose have you returned to this hell-hole?” Kris admonished, knocking her arms aside, angling his face towards her, red seeping into his eyes. “Hypocritical, aren’t we?”

“ off. I came with good reason. I didn’t run back for the mere thrill.” She reached her full height, daring him to challenge her. “Will you strike me, too? Put my life in peril, only to retreat and leave me burdened with worry and anxiety?” Again. Her fist pounded his chest, emphasizing her inner distress. “I am so tired of this , Kris. I was so scared. You suffered such mortal wounds, what if you didn’t make it? I didn’t even get to say goodbye, you .”

The intensity of his gaze softened, and his slender fingers brushed strands away from her features. Gently, he murmured, “I’m sorry.”

They stared at the other, silence settling amidst their weary forms. This time, she removed herself first, her attention ensnared by his arms. Faintly, she held a limb of his, fingertips ghosting over the rings around his wrists. The skin was chafed, carved into, the flesh slightly pink; she presumed it was due to the use of something akin to silver, seeing as his skin didn’t bubble or melt along his bones.

She inwardly cursed herself, one moment she was sobbing over the idiot and the next she was berating him. He was the first to muddle her emotions. God, it felt like she was a young teenager all over. She reasoned he asked for it from his cutting remarks.

Chaerin sighed, tracing the outline of his large hand. She eased her stubborn self into his arms, his chin resting atop her head. “What now?”

Kris smirked, “You go home.”

“Bastard.”


Kris walked her home, the two side by side, fingers intertwined, the rain continuously pouring on their torsos. He lingered by her door as she fiddled with the lock. Successfully unlocking the darned contraption, she leaned back, intent on apologizing. “I’m sorry - I caused trouble for you and your boys. Luhan explained-“

“He talks far too much for his own good.”

Quicker than she could process, he was looming over her, his arm planted near her head, his face angled to her level. His breath fanned out across her features, her cheeks flushing. “Do you listen to everyone else, but me?” And he had her by the jaw, tilting her to him.

She struggled denying his statement, her voice emerging in bouts of whispers. Kris’s forehead brushed against hers, his chest rippling with each huff. A gasp tore from upon the graze of lips against her skin. But, he teased, his face closer than it had been before, merely hovering.

Actually, he realized she had been shivering from the cold, remembered they were drenched in rain and stilled his actions. Straightening his spine, he crossed his arms, instructed her to clean up and rest, unless she desired to catch a fever or cold. It didn’t escape her notice that his eyes were crimson, the color piercing her soul.

Having had enough of heart palpitations for one day, she nodded weakly, turned to enter her home and acquire some well-deserved rest. Thus, he was startled by her spontaneous embrace, her arms grasping onto him for dear life. “Just in case this is goodbye.”

“It won’t be.”