Eleven

My Sweet Devil

Eleven


Kris gruffly tore her away from Aron's loose hold, an angered Chaerin promptly demaning, “Yah! What are you doing?” 

He ignored her peremptory request. "What you are doing out here is the more appropriate question."

"It's none of your business." She snapped.

“I’ve just made it my business.”

Her refusal to respond had Kris turn his glittering gaze upon an unsuspecting Aron. The boy knew alpha material when he saw, and deciding against playing with fire answered what he could. “We’re looking for Baekho, she offered to help. She wouldn’t take no for an answer, actually.”

Kris glared her way. Gritting her teeth, she retorted, “I’m doing this because I want to. Baekho could be in a dire situation, he needs help. Not the kind you're willing to offer, anyways."

“Go back home, where you belong.” He hissed.

No.

They were close enough to be breathing the other's air. Kris pulled back first, ordered them to split and continue searching for any evidence they could find. JR remained with Ren and Minhyun, and searched higher ground. Chaerin wasn't sure if she was pleased to have been partnered with Kris - she just really wanted to smack him upside his head, she cursed his height. 

"You aren't aware of what you're getting yourself into." He remarked as Aron and Luhan went their own way. 

"I've been hunted by wolves, three of them by now, I have worn out the patience of a loony potential alpha and survived. I think I'm covered." She muttered, taunting him, scanning the ground for prints.

"Luhan needs to learn when to shut his mouth."

Chaerin whipped in his direction, eyes narrowed into slits. "Yes, because I shouldn't be told ."

"I told you enough to keep you out, and away from harm." He spat.

She snorted, "I shouldn't have known anything to begin with if you wanted me to be safe. You should have let me wandered for hours on end until I found that goddamned library!" Each word emphasized with a jab to his chest. 

He bent forward, angling his face near her ear, intruding on personal boundaries. "You shouldn't lie, Chaerin." 

Flushing, she shoved him away, uttering that she had dealt with plenty of wolves to last a life-time. He noticed the beginnings of her mark as she pulled her hair back into a tight bun.

His fingers ghosted along her shoulder, gingerly touching her mark. "Seeing as you didn't tear the head off the boy that saved your unlucky soul, you must be aware of this."

Skin heating, she fumbled with his hands. "Yes, and I haven't decided if I will tear that one boy's head off."

"After you find him, what are you going to do?" Kris wound his arms around her, reeling her in. 

"I don't know." She softly murmured. "But you won't be able to shut me out."

He smirked, pressed his head against the nape of her neck. "You wouldn't listen, anyhow."

The rustling of twigs and leaves had her bolting from his hold, cheeks aflame, wondering what she had just been doing when she was supposed to be looking for clues. Her hands slapped her warm cheeks.

Kris confronted their visitors, Luhan, and Aron. He glared as Luhan looked between Chaerin and himself, the whiff of their mingling hitting his nose soon after. A knowing gleam reached his irises.

"Any luck?" Luhan would torture his leader later, first business was at hand.

Chaerin shook her head, edging her way behind Aron, much to Kris's distress and Luhan's glee.

Aron spoke, "We caught onto a musty scent. No other leads."

"Uh, we should inform the others, Aron." She insisted, tugging his sleeve. He was reluctant until Luhan motioned for him to go.

Luhan turned to his leader, grinning widely. "Look at you falling to baser instincts!"

Kris rolled his eyes, considering decapitating his subordinate. "Luhan-"

"You wanted your scent all over her. You dog!"

He tried again. "Luha-"

"Don't you dare try to deny it!"

His leader sniffed. "She had a peculiar smell covering her, I gave her a better one." Luhan laughed. Their moment came to an abrupt end as Xiumin pounced into view, morphing swiftly on landing. 

"Kris, Lay's got a lead."


The group quickly rejoined and went off in pursuit of Lay. Aron was led away from Chaerin, Luhan and Xiumin assuring him she would survive, they just weren't sure their leader would.

Kris and Chaerin belatedly arrived; she had been adamant in her refusal to climb into his arms. Short on time, he scooped her up, and her protests died, her head burrowing in his secure hold. 

Lay was somber, sullen. Kris gently settled Chaerin on the ground. "What have you found?" 

Lay pointed towards the ground, a patch of singed fur tangled in the grass. "The scent is similar to his. He must have been burned, his scent surely has been tampered with making it difficult to pinpoint his exact location. I wouldn't have hope -" A look from Kris silenced him.

JR came forward, collected 's remnants. He understood. "That's enough for today."


Kris took her home and this time she cooperated. Chaerin mentally berated herself for getting distracted in the midst of rescuing Baekho. She wasn't a high school girl, this wasn't a game. Her flimsy emotions had to be kept at bay for the time being.

Frustrated, she inquired, "Should we give up hope?"

"Do you want an honest answer?"

She whispered, "Yes."

"We'd be lucky to find a body."

Her heart plummeted.

"It's pretty much over. You shouldn't bother showing up tomorrow."

She seethed, "No." No.

He reached for her only to have her push his arm away. "I think it's time for you to go." Chaerin wouldn't face him, her hands trembling.

"Don't do anything stupid."

"I'm not guaranteeing ."

"Chaerin." He warned.

"Don't you try to stop me." She shut the door on his aggravated figure. This wasn't about her anymore; her survival was secured, her safety was promised. Chaerin leaned against the door, she still had a slither of hope he was alive. "You're still kicking, aren't you, Baekho?"