Raining

Maid in South Korea

If you truly loved someone before, no matter how much that person has hurt you before, you’ll always remember the reason why you loved him/her from the start, because the roots were planted deep in your heart.

Junhong was Janet’s driving force behind her tiresome body at work, the customers were a pain in the to deal with on Mondays, blame it on the Monday Blues. Weekends always seemed too short while Mondays always seemed exceptionally long and painstaking to pass. Out of the blue, Sunggyu turns up at Janet’s workplace.

Sunggyu is Janet’s ex boyfriend. He was the man that Janet was dating for 2 whole years, dedicated her life to, living together in the same apartment. He was Janet’s everything. Janet met Sunggyu at College; he was the lead vocalist of their school’s band called ‘Beat’. It was a dream come true when Sunggyu asked Janet if she would be willing to be his girlfriend and so she moved out to live with Sunggyu. After college, Sunggyu continued to pursue his dreams in music and Janet supported him in all ways by working part time jobs to pay for the shortcomings of Sunggyu’s frugal income from gigs. But it wasn’t love & support that wasn’t enough to keep the relationship going, it was due to monetary issues that started to tear them apart. When Janet told Sunggyu to get a proper full time job & do his gigs after hours, Sunggyu would flare up at her calling her unsupportive and a stepping stone in his career. These words nonetheless broke Janet’s heart. For those 2 years; she have always been the major financial supporter of Sunggyu’s dream, sacrificing a better life she could have lived. In the end, Sunggyu chose to leave, leaving Janet tattered & torn.

Sunggyu would have been the last person Janet would like to see at this very moment, especially now that she has Junhong, she doesn’t want to relive the pain Sunggyu has given to her.

‘I heard that you’ve got a new boyfriend & he’s younger than you.’ Sunggyu asked ‘I saw your updates on Instagram, he’s called Junhong isn’t he?’

 ‘Are you going to order? If not, I’ve no time to entertain you.’ Janet brushed him off

 ‘Alright then, I would like a double cheeseburger, upsized to a large, with a frozen coke please.’ He ordered.  

Janet was annoyed by the sight of Sunggyu. The sight of him brings back memories, it hurts to see him. Janet taps on the touchscreen monitor loudly, and asks him if he’s going to make his payment via cash or card. He handed her a $10 note. She chucks the coins into the hands she used to hold and turns back to collect his order. Mondays were never her days, with no customer behind; Sunggyu tries to initiate a conversation with Janet again, ‘So how’s life? Good?’

‘Life’s good ever since you left me for good.’ Janet snapped; tapping her fingers on the counter wishing the food would just fly out of the kitchen into Sunggyu’s face.

‘Is he good in bed?’

‘That’s none of your business.’

‘I guess he’s still underage.’

‘Shut up and eat your food.’

Janet pushes the tray into Sunggyu’s hands; scattering the fries.

‘If you ever change your mind, you can always come back to me. I didn’t change my number.’ He took the tray and left, laughing.

How could he still be so cool about all these after so long? He was a pinch of salt sprinkled on top of Janet’s wounds; the pain he gave felt as fresh as the day left. It only hurt because she really did love him.

Out of sight doesn’t necessarily mean it’s out of mind. The entire conversation rekindled some old forgotten memories she hid at the back of her mind. How she used to live her life for Sunggyu, believing in his tomorrows, their futures that ceased to exist the day he walked out of that door. How Sunggyu knows her inside out, without her having to say a thing he knows what she’s thinking, how he manipulate her using her weakness throughout those times she was on the verge of giving up the relationship, making her stay and hold onto the slightest bit of hope for his little attention and love. She felt stupid.

More importantly, Janet was afraid of history repeating itself; this time with Junhong. But she was certain that Junhong wouldn’t leave her. Junhong was loyal, trustworthy, reliable and error-free; in simple terms, Junhong was flawless. Junhong belonged to her; there was nowhere else he could go. He’s home & everything was Janet. She was certain, as long as Junhong doesn’t act on his own accord again. That was when she recalled that she has to get some of Junhong’s actions sorted out:

Are Robots capable of operating without charging?

Are Robots capable of carrying out task without scheduling?

Can robots & humans have an intimate relationship?

Do robots have feelings?

After all, it is written on their website: ‘The World's No.1 Selling Human Robots that does anything you can think about, you name it, you’ve got it’. Due to Sunggyu’s provocative question asking ‘Is he good in bed?’ Janet couldn’t help to know if Junhong is built for such purposes as well, blame it on curiosity.

Ever since her meeting with Sunggyu at work; Janet couldn’t seem to get Sunggyu’s words out of her mind. She didn’t know if Sunggyu was being sarcastic or was he jealous of Junhong, was Sunggyu even genuine to begin with. She had an internal struggle; she knew even if time were to turn back, she would have still got together with Sunggyu and go through all that again, but a part of her wants to prove Sunggyu wrong. To prove that she’s better without him, she can live for herself, and for perhaps for Junhong. She didn’t understand why she never once denied that Junhong was her boyfriend, in fact this is the 2nd time she silently admitted that Junhong was her boyfriend, because deep down inside, Junhong has already set his roots in her heart, securing a place for himself.

Rain started to pour at about 6.30 PM, just another half an hour until her shift for the day ends. ‘Such a ty day, I hate Mondays’, she sighed; thinking about how she would have to walk home in the rain, soaking her socks. She finishes off the last order given by the last customer she serves and packs her belonging to leave from the backdoor, but little did she know, Junhong was waiting for out in the rain with an umbrella, worried that she might be drenched in the rain.

Janet drops her belonging on the floor in shock upon seeing a smiling Junhong waiting for her in the rain.

‘WHAT THE JUNHONG, ELECTRONICS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO GET WET!’