Packaging

Maid in South Korea

‘Master, master….’ Junhong shakes Janet lightly. ‘Master, wake up~’

Her lids were heavy; sleep was short, it felt like 5 minutes, but I was indeed 5 hours. 8.30 AM, her mobile homescreen indicates. ‘Aish, 5 more minutes…’ she complained. Pulling the sheets over her head and curling back into a ball.

‘Yes Master…’ Junhong laughed and the doors closed.

Did Junhong laughed? Janet turned around to look at the closed door. Unable to go back into slumber, Janet crawls out of bed to get herself washed up.

‘Wow. Something smells nice.’ She peeps from the sides to look into the kitchen. Junhong’s making breakfast. The program is working, but why isn’t he wearing an apron? Sheesh. ‘Yes Master?’ Janet pulls Junhong aside. ‘Bend down’ Janet ordered & he complied. Junhong was too tall; Janet hangs the apron Junhong’s neck, turning him back to face the stove and ties a knot around his slick waist. Janet sighs.

‘Thank you, Master.’ Junhong peered from the side, smiling at Janet.

What the hell is wrong with me? Her face reddened and her heart racing; Junhong in the kitchen in boxers and apron, making breakfast.

No, Janet. He’s a robot. Wake up Janet!

She shakes her head and gets back to what she’s supposed to be doing: Washing up. The cold water isn’t cold enough to wake her up from this beautiful nightmare. She likes Junhong a little more than she should, but one wouldn’t buy something they don’t like. Do they? She wipes her face with her towel & heads back out to check on Junhong.

Breakfast was ready on the dining table: Big breakfast, bacon & chipolatas grilled to perfection, sunny side ups with yolks runny, sautéed mushrooms and cherry tomatoes but there was only one serving. Junhong was standing next to the table smiling, waiting for you to start your breakfast. Everything was cooked to perfection, even the presentation is exactly the same the way the picture was taken in the recipe app. Janet felt bad for Junhong, he couldn’t enjoy the taste of his own cooking, all he could do was stand there and watch.

‘Junhong ah, take a seat, don’t just stand there.’ Janet pushed one of the chairs out with her leg, her eyes telling Junhong to sit. ‘Yes Master.’ Junhong watched Janet savour the last piece of bacon with the leaked yolks. ‘Thank you for breakfast Junhong.’ Janet thanked Junhong. ‘My pleasure, Master. As long as Master is happy, Junhong’s job is accomplished.’ He picks up the plate and proceeds to clean up the utensils and kitchenware.

Ding Dong~ the door bell rang. It’s probably the post man for ASOS shipment & as expected, a medium size brown box arrives her door steps; she signs her name & thanked the post man. She cuts the tape with her keys and opens the box to check if they’ve gotten her selection right. Two pair of nudie jeans, two Basic Tshirts, a Leather belt, 2 Beanies, a pair of Toms, that’s the lot. She places them neatly on the sofa and asks Junhong to try them on to see if they fit.

‘Yes Master.’ Junhong puts on the tshirt and starts to remove his boxers. ‘No No No No! STOP! Go to the room to change.’ Janet covers her eyes and pushes the clothes onto Junhong’s hands and drags him into the room slamming the door shut.  Her back pressed against the door, she tries to catch her breath and calm herself down. That’s when she realized. She didn’t buy undergarments and socks for Junhong. .

Junhong opens the door gently, looking at Janet who’s on the floor. ‘Master?’ Janet slowly arches her neck, looking at the taller being. He looks great. How could he look so good with such plain looking clothes? Her lips curled. ‘Master’s happy.’ Junhong said. ‘How do you know?’ Janet asks out of curiosity. ‘Junhong has the ability to detect emotion based on hormonal release and heat emission, moreover, Master is smiling.’ He smiled, turning around like to child to show Janet how he looks. ‘You look good, Junhong. Try the on the beanie.’ Janet got up and pulled Junhong to the sofa, making him sit while she stretches the beanie over his electronic brains. He looks up at her with such innocence, ‘oh god, he’s so cute.’ Her shoulders dropped, as though they’ve expressed how he’s melted like her heart. He smiled brighter than usual, her heart was moved. Janet tells Junhong to fold his clothes and place them on top of the drawer in the walk-in-robe.

‘Wait for me here, we’re going out to do some shopping.’ Janet placed Junhong outside the bedroom and closed the door to change. It’s only 10.30 AM, she could teach Junhong where to buy the groceries and grab some socks & underwear at Walmart before going to work. There should be enough time to send Junhong home before I catch the train to work. She quickly got dressed and headed out to get things done, no time to waste.

On their way, Janet couldn’t help but notice the amount of girls checking out Junhong. She felt a little angry, a little uncomfortable, a little insecure. Junhong looks at Janet, sensing she’s unhappy, he used his fingers to walk on Janet’s shoulder, poking her cheeks. ‘Yes Master?’ He smiled, and all those negative feelings seem to have gone away. ‘Nothing’ her cheeks raised.

Junhong runs towards the zebra crossing, ‘Hurry up Master! You’ll be late.’

The little flashing green man turns red.

JUNHONG!