Programming

Maid in South Korea

Janet dragged her feet along the corridors to her apartment and digs into her pockets to find the keys. She slowly fishes out her keys and slots them into the keyhole, entering her comfort zone again.

Home sweet Home…

‘Welcome home, Master.’ Junhong greeted her, smiling brightly like an idiot with his pink boxers, seated at the exact spot Janet left him, 6 hours ago. Wait. Janet presses the home button on her mobile. It’s 9.15 PM. Good lord! That poor boy has been sitting there obediently waiting for her return for the past 8 and a half hour. Her tired eyes widened in surprise, more of guilt instead of shock.

‘Is there any instructions to be given Master?’  Junhong asks innocently. Janet shakes her head. Junhong tilts his head again. ‘No, Junhong. Not at the moment.’ His smile faded and turned back to face the television, staring at his own reflection, like a child doing some soul searching. The sight was unbearable to watch; Janet felt guilty for coming home late. Guilty over a robot who might not even have feelings but the look on his face suggest otherwise.

‘Ouch’ Janet yelped when shampoo got into her eyes. Her mind was in a mess, there were heaps of questions that require answers. Questions regarding Junhong’s maintenance, his nature, his personality, whether he’s humane? At the other side of her brain she questions herself over & over again: What is Junhong? Maid? Toy? Companion? Why can’t she bring herself to just utilize him like an electronic? Didn’t she buy him for this purpose? Janet wanted the cold water to wash away the problems, to clear her mind. But the moment she walks out of the bathroom, the biggest problem or should I say dilemma is sitting right in front of her, waiting for an answer from her, herself.

In the television, Junhong’s face lits up seeing Janet coming out into the living room. She sighed. She grabs her laptop and sits beside Junhong who seems to be really happy. What is he? A puppy? Janet laughed. She searches on TS Electronics FAQ & Forums to find out how does she maintain Junhong and make sure he feels good or function right.

The USB provided by TS Electronics can be used to charge your robots, access activity logs, manually configure your robot via your computer; alternatively you can use ZERO CONTROL to make configurations on-the-go.

The robot’s eyes are LED indicators with patterns of notification:

  • Flashing Red: Robot is having a technical error, Requires servicing
  • Red: Low Power, Requires Charging
  • Green: Fully Charged
  • Flashing Blue: Data processing

Janet turns around to see if Junhong has any issues; everything’s good. Junhong’s eyes are bright in blue, he sits quietly and watching Janet does her thing. Too lazy search for the USB cable, Janet uses launches the ZERO CONTROL application & follows the tweaks and methods other Human Robot users to program Junhong. Apparently it Junhong functions the same way a mobile phone does, applications could be installed onto Junhong’s core. Janet installs a series of applications recommended by other users; Meal Planner, Recipes Directory, Scheduler, Auto Cleaner… Period Planner. Flashes of blue beaming from Junhong’s pupils & returns to still blue when downloads have completed.

Fascinating.

For hours, she Googles methods to customize Junhong to her needs & requirements, once in a while checking if Junhong is feeling ok, each time she checks on him, he smiles at her & she would unconsciously smile back at him. She sets the threshold for Junhong’s power utilities,  alarms, remainders, meal plans, groceries list, Google Maps Navigations, household chores’ task and times, but when it came to the period planner, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to key her menstrual cycle details into Junhong’s memory.

Other female users said it would be great to do so, such that the robot reminds you when you’re period is coming and would be extra delicate and sensitive during menstrual periods. It was too personal; wouldn’t it be awkward for a male who just entered her house in the last 24 hours to know everything about her? Wait. Junhong is just a robot, he’s a personal robot. Janet turns to look at Junhong who again, smiles. He’s too young for this . I’ll update it when the time comes. She checks the bottom left of her laptop screen; 3.31 AM. Time flies. She needs to sleep, there’s work tomorrow.

She shuts her laptop and places them on the coffee table, leaning back to stretch while she yawns to release all the accumulated weariness. Her tired eyes looked at Junhong, who looks as lively as ever even at such wee hours. Janet smacks herself in the face. She forgot to Google if Robots sleep or is there a program where she could put the Robot to sleep. ‘Junhong ah’ She pinches Junhong’s cheeks; they were elastic and soft, just like a human’s except he had no warmth. She didn’t want to leave Junhong to sleep on the sofa, cold and cruel, as much as it’s a fact that Junhong is a robot, he still resembles a human too much. Unwillingly, she instructs Junhong to follow her into the bedroom and places to sleep Junhong beside her on the double bed. Poor Junhong’s long legs were sticking out of the bed ends. She tugs Junhong in before lying down to her side.

‘Stay put and sleep like this. Wake me up tomorrow when the alarm rings. Goodnight Junhong.’

‘Yes Master, Goodnight’