Unboxing

Maid in South Korea

On the 20th June 2100, 8.30 AM, Janet was shaken up by a phone call from an unknown caller...

'Good morning Janet, your shipment has arrived today morning, what time would you be available to receive your shipment?'

'Any time before 12.30 PM' Janet croaked, rubbing her eyes. 

'Okay, We'll see you soon. Bye' the caller put down the phone before Janet could respond. Her mobile slips down her cheeks as she buries her face back into the pillow to get 5 minutes more of sleep. 'Work starts at 2 PM today, i better sleep as much as I can now. I shouldn't have spent so much time on Tumblr & Twitter last night.' She grumbled in her head & dozes off into her dreamland again.

Sleep was minimal, her attempt to head back to get more sleep only made her even more tired when the delivery man came knocking on her door at 10 AM. She struggled to get out of her comfort zone and slide her way towards the door. 

'Please sign here, Miss Janet.' A very good looking Asian Man handed her a receipt on a green colored clipboard, his fingers long and slender. Janet quickly brushed her hand and smiled awkwardly before signing on the receipt. 

'Where would you like us to place your shipment?' 

'Just right there.’ She pointed at the empty space separating her living room & dining area.

The younger handsome looking man walked towards the back of the box, tilting it backwards to push it into her living room with little effort. At her front door, stood a tall black box on a trolley, it was way taller than her door frame, with an odd looking bunny head in neon green. He gently shifts the box side to side quickly to move to it out of its trolley and pats his palms. 'Thank you for choosing TS Electronics, We hope you will take good care and love our new product.' He bowed down 90 degrees and turned away, walking out of the apartment with his trolley. 

Janet didn't even have a chance to give the handsome looking man a drink to thank him for his hard work. She probably must have been too mesmerized by his good looks and shocked by the size of her purchase. She walks around the black box for a few times, trying to find any scotch tape or wrappings to remove to open the box; there was no openings. 'How the hack does this work?' She looked at the 2 meter tall box, scratching her head. Just then, the neon green bunny logo flashed. ‘Push to Open’ small neon green letterings flashed under the bunny’s head. ‘Where should I push? The head?’ Janet placed her right hand on the Bunny head and gave it a gentle push, the bunny head lighted up in blue.

A sudden surge of gas gushes out from the air compressed box filling up the room…..

Like dry ice effects, her living room was filled with fog floating above her ankles. A series of blue characters ran down the box and the black facing box opened like automatic doors, revealing a capsule containing a grey haired male with nothing but a pair of pink bunny boxers; milky white skin, long and thick lashes, he had long hands and legs, slender and beautiful fingers, even his finger nails were cute and pink.  His eye lids twitched a little before he opened his eyes; his pupils round and blue. The male robot blinks a couple of times and slowly walks out of his capsule, slowly moving his stiffened arms and fingers.

Janet stood there with wide open, amazed by the craftsmanship of the robot before her. More importantly, she’s flustered by how cute and squishy this male robot is; he’s almost surreal. No difference from a normal human being. Her heart beats faster with each step the robot makes, drawing their distance closer & closer. Her ears grew hot, realizing how close they are and that this male robot in front of her is wearing nothing but cutesy boxers. Cold air pumps out of his nose, systemically.

‘Please input instructions for Zelo.’ He said in a pretty cute nasal voice. Janet’s ears were hot; she quickly rubs them with her fingers & reached for her phone in the pajamas to find the email on how to get Zelo customized. She browses through the contents quickly while Zelo blinks cutely tilting his head side to side trying to get her attention.

The program used to customize ZELO and its duties assignable can be done using the following Program: Zero Control which can be downloaded from Google Play Free of Charge once you’ve register the serial number of your purchased Male Robot.

‘Serial number… Where is that?’ Janet searched the capsule and box, unable to find any barcodes or numbers imprinted on any of them. Embarrassed by the lack of proper clothing Zelo has, she searches for numbers and alphabets on Zelo’s body. His ‘skin’ was smooth and white like porcelains, shoulders broad, muscles toned, her eyes traces his body thoroughly. Zelo kept blinking, looking anxious and confused by Janet’s actions and lack of command, he fidgets. Janet finds a black metal anklet around zelo’s skinny ankles; engraved on those anklets were his serial number & a QR code. Janet uses her mobile to scan the QR code and it takes her to the Play Store Application: Zero Control. She downloads the application and launches it.

ZERO CONTROL LOADING…

Default Name: ZELO

Do you want to change it?

YES

Of course, she wants to change it. What if someone else buys the same model & they meet on the streets, wouldn’t there be 2 or more ZELOs on the streets? Janet rubs her chin; she wanted him to have an Asian name; maybe a name starting with J since Janet starts with J.

New Name: Junhong

SAVE

His eyes widened and his pupils beeped rapidly in green, before turning back to blue.

‘Master has given me a name, I’m Junhong.’ He bowed down with one hand on chest and the other on his back ‘From now on, Junhong belongs to Master & will abide anything Master says.’ He looked up and smiled at Janet. His smile was the sweetest thing Janet has ever seen. Her heart seemed to have stepped on the emergency brake, jamming up her accelerating heartbeat. Junhong slowly gets back into his position and holds his hands together waiting for Janet’s command.

‘He definitely needs to get dress’ Janet thought, looking at Junhong in his bunny boxers. She couldn’t bring him out to buy clothes at this state, nor does she have any clothing that could fit Junhong. Out of solutions, Janet goes onto the internet to do some online shopping to get some clothes for Junhong. After pages of selection, Janet turns around to find him standing awkwardly at the centre of the living room. ‘Come here and sit beside me, Junhong.’ She gestured for him to come. ‘Yes, Master.’ Junhong smiled and sit on the floor beside Janet, his looks so innocent and cute.  ‘Size M should fit him fine.’

Wait.

Is Junhong: Him or It?

Janet stops clicking.

For the past hour, did she see Junhong as a person? Or did she see Junhong as a Robot?

Janet starts to questions her purpose for purchasing Junhong; she needed a Robot to do the chores, but look at her now, she end up softening her heart for a machine, buying clothes for him.

Why did I buy him? Was it because he was cheap? Was it because of the free shipping?

But clearly, there was something that has drawn her into that site, into buying this model series. There was something about Junhong that she doesn’t understand.

BEEP BEEP BEEP… BEEP BEEP BEEP…

Her mobile alarms goes off, notifying her it’s 12.45 PM and she needs to get to work.

‘ this ; I need to get to work’

Janet quickly checks out her purchases on ASOS website and prepares to go to work. Zelo sits on the floor and watch Janet frantically running between the bathroom and bedroom. Janet pulls Junhong onto the sofa, leaving him there.

‘I’ll be back in 6 hours, wait for me.’ She said holding his squishy cheeks with both of her hands. Junhong’s eyes widen, gleaming with bright blue lights.

They’re soft, like human’s. Janet was taken aback by its texture.

‘See you, Junhong’ Janet puts on her hightops and closes the door behind her.

' Yes, Masterrrr.....'