Searching

Maid in South Korea

‘Junhong, Let’s go have Coffee at this new Coffee Shop tomorrow, it’s called Secret Garden.’

Junhong’s hands stopped; there was only silence.

‘Junhong-ah, Shall we go to Secret Garden tomorrow?’

Janet repeated herself and turned over to check if Junhong’s okay. Junhong who stood stationary at the basin was starting to scare Janet. She was afraid that Junhong was broken from the rain; she quickly got back onto the feet, her chair screeching the tiled floors. Her heart was moving faster than her legs, about to explode; she stumbles on the cold hard floor.

‘Your wish is my command, Janet.’ Junhong replied and continued to wash the dishes. His sudden pause of silence gave Janet a heart attack. He’s concentration seems to be cut off and his mind wondered off to somwhere else; Janet doesn’t know if Junhong has a mind of his own. She feared that he did. She slowly picks herself up from the ground; her elbows hurt from the impact of her fall, after all, they were the first to hit the ground. She sits on the floor with her legs & fingers crossed that nothing bad will ever happen to Junhong and her; Janet just wanted this simple, plain happiness to last forever.

‘Aish’ She hisses as she rubs her elbows with her palm.

‘What happened?’ Junhong was wiping off the water droplets off his hands into the side of his pajamas pants.

‘You mean you didn’t notice?’ Janet asked sarcastically.

‘No… I’m sorry.’ Junhong shakes his hand slowly, looking down and apologetic.

God damn it, why am I so weak against Junhong.

‘Let’s go to sleep, we both have a long day to go tomorrow.’

Janet reaches out for Junhong’s hand to help her up but instead, Junhong puts her arms around his neck and lifts her off the ground; carrying her into the bedroom. Her heart seems to go into frenzy mode, beating faster and faster with each footstep he makes. Junhong gently places Janet into her usual sleeping position; the right side of the bed. He tucks her neatly into bed, patting the quilt on her chest, trying to soothe her into sleep. Janet shuts her eyes, taking in deep breathes to calm herself down. She’s too excited to sleep; she’s dying to meet other owners and getting answers at Secret Garden but Junhong isn’t making sleep any easier. Junhong crawls into bed, pulling the quilt up his chest, turning towards Janet, he blinks cutely, smiling at her. Her heart was beating her ear drums, his curled lips narrows as he face encloses, pressing them onto her forehead.

‘Goodnight Janet.’ His systematic air pumps out, blowing her bangs ‘I love you’ his nasal voice lingers in her ears. His whispers so soft; it tickles when they travel down her ear canals. Janet fidgets and hits Junhong’s shoulders but he didn’t budge a single bit. He just smiled and pulls her head in to rest in his chest, hugging her to sleep.

‘Sweet dreams, Janet.’

Junhong never fails to mess her up every time when he starts doing things on his own accord; taking her by surprise, unprepared. Janet hates herself for falling into his ‘trap’, deeper and deeper each day. She loves him more when she tries to deny his efforts; she was indeed digging her own grave. Becoming a slave to her robot, she couldn’t live without Junhong anymore. And in his embrace, his rhythmic circulation of air plays an alternative lullaby, putting her to sleep.

 


 

‘Wake up, Janet. It’s 8:30 AM.’

Junhong pinches Janet’s cheeks, giggling at how she twitches her brows, reluctant to wake up from her sweet dreams.

‘5 more minutes’ Janet begs, rubbing her eyes.

‘Are you dreaming about me?’ Junhong asks cutely.

‘Noooooooo…’ Janet whines, hiding her face into the pillow, detesting the brightness of the morning sun.

The corner of the bed sprung and the door opens, Janet turns around and sees Junhong’s back slowly disappearing. Her heart feels a little strange; she didn’t like the image of Junhong’s back facing her, leaving her. She wonders how Junhong feels, sending her out the door to work every single day, waiting for her to come home, with only chores to do to kill time. It must have been hard for him, that’s only if he’s human, that’s when he has feelings and have emotions. But Janet believes Junhong does, Junhong is the most human robot, and all she needs now is answers. Now is the best time to go to the Coffee Shop: Secret Garden. Every other owner would be out there having breakfast, having morning tea. She drags herself out of bed to the bathroom to wash up.

Junhong was in the bathroom looking at the mirror, pushing his cheeks. ‘What’s wrong?’ Janet asks. ‘In your sleep, you kept saying ‘6 year old’, ‘cute piece of ’ I wondered if I looked anything like those you things you said.’ Junhong continues to figure out his facial features. Janet facepalms herself. ‘You’re nothing like those things, that was nonsensical sleep talking.’ Janet pushes Junhong out of the bathroom and closes the door. ‘Get changed, we’re having breakfast at Secret Garden’ Janet mumbles with her toothbrush in . She quickly washes up and prepares her working bag and clothes on standby so that when she comes home late, she can get dress and head out to work asap.

Together, they held hands and made their way to Korean Town to search for Secret Garden. The streets were filled with aroma of sweetness, spiciness, fragrance of cosmetic products; this place was crowded with youngsters of all ethnicity, some native Koreans running their businesses and tourists. They searched for shop signs or directions to Secret Garden but there were no sign. They ended up walking aimlessly, with a growling tummy. At the cross junction was a large fountain, the old roman lettering clocks says its 10:00 AM. Janet has only one and a half hour left to eat and find the answers she needs before she heads off to work, she starts to grow impatient. That’s when she spots a handsome looking male in black basics with almond brown eyes sitting under the clock; wearing a big red hat with his legs crossed and a book in his hands, looking at them. Janet swore she must have seen that male somewhere before, he looked familiar. He looked like one of those models sold from TS Electronics. Janet’s intuition tells her to ask him for directions, but Junhong’s grip tightens, holding her back.

 

That’s when his lips moved.

 

F O L L O W M E.   


A/N: Guys i know i haven't been updating frequently, i appreciate your support & patience, I've recently gotten a job & I'm officially starting tomorrow. I dont think i will be able to update as often as i used too. Nonetheless I would try my best to update 1 or 2 chapters a week. I love y'all.