Midnight Rescue

The Tour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Anya looked at the time on her phone and grinned. Cate was going to kill her for this...

 

She jumped on the sleeping girl and blew air into her over sensitive ears.

 

Cate jumped, “What the-” She looked at the one who had woken her up in such a rude fashion and glared. “What time is it?” she asked after her glare softened and she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes.

 

“Midnight!” Anya beamed.

 

“Why the hell are you waking me up?! Couldn't you have said whatever it is two hours ago when I was still awake?” Cate threw her soft, black blanket over her face.

 

“I would have if you didn't run up here as soon as we got back. I came up and you were already asleep,” Anya scolded her. “You didn't even bother changing into pajamas! You just plopped down and fell asleep. I thought we killed that habit...”

 

Cate huffed from under the blanket, “What do you want?”

 

Anya smiled as she snatched Cate's shield off of her body, “Let's go swimming!”

 

Cate gave her a blank look, “Seriously?”

 

Anya nodded her head excitedly, “We haven't gone swimming at night in a while. Besides, You're already in your bathing suit.”

 

The older girl continued to stare at her without any emotion on her face.

 

Anya pouted, “Come oooon! You've been in a bad mood ever since you went with Taecyeon to get ice-cream.” She noticed Cate flinch at the mention of his name. “Everyone else is asleep, so it will just be us,” she promised.

 

Cate groaned in protest.


 

“Is it cold?” Anya whispered to Cate.

 

Cate sat on the edge of the pool and put her feet in and slid off of the concrete, going under the glassy surface. She resurfaced and wiped the water out of her face, “Chicken. You were the one who wanted to come out here. It's fine.”

 

Anya dipped her toe into the water, testing to see if what Cate had said was true. She sighed in relief that it wasn't cold and jumped in, splashing Cate in the process.

 

As soon as she came back up, she sensed the presence of someone behind her. She went to turn to see what was going on, but hands on her shoulders stopped her.

 

“Plug your nose.”

 

Anya obeyed the order and grabbed her nose, pinching it shut. She knew what was coming, but she still screamed when she felt herself being lifted up then pushed under the water. She swam back up to the surface after she felt the hands leave her shoulders and gasped for air. “What the hell was that for!?” she shouted at a laughing Cate.

 

Cate put a finger up to her smiling lips, “Sshhh... Some of the windows in the house are open.”

 

Anya's face turned red from anger in the darkness. She brought her arms back slowly, without making a sound, and grinned. “Yo butthead!” she called to the laughing girl in front of her.

 

“Hm?” Cate turned around to see what Anya wanted and was greeted with a face full of water. She gasped and immediately shut her eyes to prevent the chlorinated water from getting into her eyes and causing her contacts to fall out. (She had forgotten to take them out before falling asleep, like an idiot. One would think that a trip to the hospital in high school because of sleeping in them would teach her something....) She heard Anya laughing in front of her and cracked a devious smile of her own, “You know why I didn't want to come out here?”

 

Anya stopped laughing, “Because I woke you up.”

 

“No...” Cate could see the puzzled look on her best friend's face with the help of the moon's light. “Because, apparently, there have been a few strange people walking around here at night.”

 

Anya's eyes went wide in fear; she hated being outside at night because she never knew when someone would come up and try to kill her, “Why didn't you tell me this earlier?”

 

Cate sighed, “I tried, but you were being persistent. Besides, they haven't been seen for about a month. They're probably gone anyway.”

 

Anya swam over to Cate and held onto her arm, “Can we go back inside now?”

 

Cate shook her head and shrugged the younger girl off of her arm, "Nope. You wanted to come out here.”

 

“Please!!!?” Anya begged, on the verge of tears.

 

Cate sighed, “There aren't any guys like that near here and there never were. I made it up.”

 

Anya remained silent for a while. Never any creepy guys walking around... On a farm surrounded by other farms... Her eyes narrowed at the other girl and she punched her arm as hard as she could.

 

“Ow!” Cate rubbed her arm in an effort to dull the throbbing pain. “I guess I deserved that...”

 

“Yes! Yes you did!”

 

The two girls continued to swim around the pool for another hour. That hour was full of Anya questioning Cate about her trip to Korea even more.

 

“You've gotten a lot better at Korean since then,” Anya commented. “You're not struggling as much.”

 

“Two weeks in a place where barely anyone speaks English will do that to you,” Cate grabbed one of the pool noodles and floated on it. “Oh! I forgot to tell you something!”

 

“What?” Anya asked as she tried to balance on top of a giant beach ball.

 

“I ordered you some new guitar strings while I was there from that shop I told you about! They should be coming sometime soon.”

 

“Really?!” Anya jumped off of the ball and hugged Cate. “I've been needing new ones. Even though I barely play...”

 

Cate laughed at her friend's reaction. She knew she would be happy, but she didn't know that she was going to get jumped and almost drowned at one in the morning.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter