I miss you

Madness

 

“Hey, how was school?” I stopped mid-sip of my water and cleared my throat, “Great”

 

“That’s good” My stepfather said, picking up his mail and then walking out of the kitchen.

 

I grabbed an apple and headed upstairs to my room.

 

After finding my first class, the rest of the day went by smoothly. During Nutrition and Lunch I spent my time in the library and in class, no one really spoke since the teachers were simply going over their class syllabus.

 

This continued for about 2 weeks, until one of my teachers sent me to pick up a book from the book room during the last few minutes of class.

 

I received my book and because there was only a few minutes of class left, I was given an early leave pass.

 

“Hey, new girl” I heard someone say. I turned around and saw the same blonde guy who I had seen my first day leaning on the pillar wall. I had not notice before that his uniform was a different color and slightly different than mine.  

 

Did he go to another school?

 

Then I realized that he wasn’t alone.

 

Straightaway I recognized the red haired boy with the large headphones covering his ears. The blonde guy must’ve noticed me staring at his friend, because he began nudging him with his foot.

 

I quickly turned away and stepped forward.

 

Bad idea.

 

People don’t seem to fathom the importance of looking both ways before crossing the street.

 

As I sat there, pain in my bottom and my heart beating fast, I realized that I didn’t even look one way.

 

I had heard the car honk, but I don’t think they stopped.

 

I blinked continuously, trying to grasp what just happened.

 

I almost died.

 

“Hey, you all right?” A voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

 

I turned my head to the voice and my eyes met with another pair of brown alarmed eyes.

 

I nodded slowly and faced forward. I didn’t seem to be fully aware of my surroundings until I was on my feet. I felt a grip under my arm and when I looked down at it I noticed the guy was helping me up. He let me go before I said anything and smiled. “See, getting help wasn’t that bad”

 

The image of his eyes stayed in my head… they’re so familiar.

 

“You all right new girl?” The taller guy asked, handing me my satchel. “Thank you,” I said, receiving it.

 

“Your elbow looks bad”

 

 I’m sure it did, my elbow along with my palms were stinging.

 

“I’m fine. Thank you” I said, “So, new girl. Unless you like being called new girl, what’s your name?” The blonde guy asked casually as if nothing had happened.

 

“Isn’t it proper courtesy to state your name before you ask others?”

 

The blonde guy shrugged, “I guess, I’m Leo Ito”

 

“I’m Haru” I swallowed and cleared my throat. “Min”

 

“Min? Is it short for something?” I looked up at Haru.

 

“Is Haru short for something?” He smiled. “Yeah, Haruki”

 

“Minako” I said.

 

“Nice to meet you Min” He said, extending his hand.

 

“Not everyone is going to hurt you”

 

I gently let my hand touch his. He smiled and squeezed it gently, before letting go.

 

I retreated my hand and twitched when the school bell rang.

 

Haru and Leo chuckled and looked towards the gate. “I-I’m going to go. Goodbye,” I said, as I slowly turned around.

 

“Bye, Min” “Be careful crossing the street” I smiled lightly and went on my way. When I arrived at home, I noticed my stepfather’s shoes at the doorway.

 

“I’m home” I called out, something I rarely did, but thought it was appropriate since there was actually someone home.

 

“Welcome home” I heard an unfamiliar female voice call out. I furrowed my eyebrows and slowed down my pace until I arrived in the living room and saw an unknown woman drinking wine and looking around the living room.

 

“Excuse me, who are you?” I asked the brunette lady wearing a woman’s suit with black high heels. The outfit made her look older than her face projected.

 

“I’m Miranda. I’m a intern at your father’s film company”

 

“I’m Min”

 

“Right, Alexander’s step-daughter” I bit my bottom lip. I was well aware that I was his stepdaughter, but the way it was said out loud made me feel uncomfortable.

 

“Oh, Min. Welcome home” My stepfather said, carrying a handful of papers. “Thanks” “How was school?” He asked, walking towards Miranda.

 

“Good”

 

“Great”

 

I turned away from the living room and went to the kitchen.

 

I took out the leftover Chinese food and heated it up. I ignored the loud laughing of the intern and quickly went upstairs to eat.

 

Later that evening I decided to call Fei and talk to her about my new school.

 

“Did you make any friends?” “Not really” “Come on, Minnie. High School is the time to make friends, then forget about them after graduation!” I laughed, mainly because Fei met her best friend in high school and they're still rooming together in college. 

 

Fei was always the calm and quiet daughter, but always seemed able to make good friends.

 

When I was young, I was talkative and friendly. I was able to make friends so easily.

 

Though I was usually closer to boys, since I was a bit of a tomboy, but I never had a problem with getting along with girls either.

 

I set my empty plate down and walked over to my walk in closet. I the light and walked to the end of the room where there were shelves lined up holding storage boxes.

 

I grabbed a black and white box and sat down on one of my chaise lounge sofa. As I took out a red photo album I felt a warm presence surround me. I smiled at the comfortable feeling and began to look through the album. I stopped turning the pages when I saw a picture taken on one of the local carnivals. 

 

There was Fei with her sweet smile, me with my goofy grin and my baby sister, Suzy, with her tongue sticking out.

 

I miss you, Suzy.