Uh-Oh

Madness

 

Winter Break was over and school began once again.

 

I honestly thought (and hoped) I would quietly get through my Senior Year, but meeting CL, Leo and Haru changed that completely.

 

I was dancing again, paying for my classes with my savings, and I was applying to any summer dance program I could get into. 

 

Acceptance letters would be arriving in a month and it was too late to apply for another college, but I still thought of a plan.

 

I decided to take a semester off college and focus solely on my Dance and then apply for a Dance School next Spring Semester.

 

I still wasn’t sure how I was going to tell my father all this, but Fei offered to come Spring Break so we could tell him together.

 

It was my life after all.

 

I heard the bell rang.

 

The teacher held us in for 5 extra minutes to give us a study guide.

 

When he dismissed us, I began to pack up my things along with the rest of the class.

 

I looked up when I noticed the room grow quiet.

 

Most of the class was looking at the door, whispering to each other.

 

I looked over and saw Haru, standing there and just like CL had done, he ignored the staring and walked over to me.

 

“Ready?” I smiled and nodded, standing up and strapping on my satchel behind my back.

 

I usually met Haru in the auditorium, where there was always food during Nutrition and Lunch, but occasionally he would get out of class earlier than me and came to pick me up.

 

If it wasn’t him, it was Leo or I simply walked alone to meet them.

 

Haru grabbed my hand and we walked out of the classroom together.

 

It was apparently rare that a Business Student would date an Arts Student.

 

I thought it was stupid that people acted like we were completely different species.

 

“So what’s for Lunch?” I asked. Haru’s mouth twitched.

 

“Is food all you think about?”

 

I nodded; he rolled his eyes and squeezed my hand.

 

“Well Princess Min, your Lunch will be delicious junk food”

 

“My favorite! But I’m in training, I can’t be eating junk food all the time”

 

“Why not? You look so cute with your chubby cheeks” On cue my cheeks were being pinched.

 

I looked at him unamused as he laughed, “Okay enough” I said, swatting his hand away.

 

“I’m hungry,” I mumbled, walking towards the auditorium leaving behind a still laughing Haru.

 

“I’m sorry, wait up”

 

~

 

“Min, can you come down here?” I heard my stepfather’s voice from downstairs.

 

I put down my book and went downstairs into his study.

 

“Yes?”

 

He was on his computer again, “Close the door please” He said, not looking up.

 

I closed the door behind me and faced him again, this time he was looking at me with fixed eyes.

 

“Take a seat”

 

Uh-Oh.

 

I haven’t been told to take a seat since some of the neighborhood boys and I were caught sneaking into the old worn down “haunted house” down the street.

 

Since I was labeled the ringleader of the operation, I was grounded for 2 weeks. No dance and no friends. It was the 14 worst days of my 10-year-old life.

 

I sat down and tried not to look nervous.

 

I haven’t done anything wrong… at least I didn’t think I did anything wrong.

 

“I went to the Parent Conferencing at your school”

 

I furrowed my eyebrows; I was a straight A student and my grades had not gone down, not to my knowledge that is.

 

“And your grades are perfect, like always, but one of your teachers mentioned something that sparked my interest”

 

A beep was heard from the computer, but my stepfather just glanced at it, and then looked back at me.

 

“He mentioned something about you having a…. boyfriend” His eyebrows furrowed when he finished his sentence.

 

Uh-Oh.

 

“Yeah, but you don’t have to worry about him, he’s a good guy. Fei knows him and likes him” I said in a rush. 

 

“Fei knows?” My stepfather asked, surprised.

 

“She’s my sister, we kind of tell each other everything”

 

“But I’m your father, I should know too”

 

We were quiet for a few seconds; I was trying not to smile at my fathers little over-protective act.

 

“I want to meet him,” He said finally.

 

“You do?” I was a little surprised, but then nodded when I saw him look a little flustered.

 

“Okay. Um, when?”

 

“Saturday. Providence. 7pm sharp” He recited.

 

I raised my eyebrows; he cleared his throat and shrugged.

 

“If that’s okay”

 

“I’ll let him know”

 

“Okay. You’re dismissed,” He said, turning his attention back on the computer.

 

I took out my phone and texted Haru, a few minutes later he agreed to coming.

 

I sighed in relief. For a minute there I thought I had scared him off.

 

I texted him back and laid down on the couch.

 

Let’s see how this goes.