Happy Birthday, Min.

Madness

 

Min’s P.O.V

 

My eyes fluttered open. I turned my head to the side, 5:43am, the digital clock read.

 

I sighed and sat up, rubbing my eyes before getting out of bed. I stretched my arms upward and let them fall back to my sides then grabbed my robe and went straight to the bathroom.

 

Today is a special day!

 

 I sighed as the warm water hit my scarred back. I dried myself and wrapped the soft cotton robe around my body before stepping out to my dim room.

 

I walked over to the window and slid open the curtains to allow the sunrays to enter the gloomy room. I frowned when I noticed it was still dark out.

 

I sighed again and walked over to the light switch. Soon my room was engulfed in light and I proceeded with my morning routine.

 

While I was tucking my white-collar long sleeve, I noticed a shinning light coming from my window. I quickly buttoned my jeans and walked over to it.

 

“The sun always rises, hope is always there”

 

I furrowed my eyebrows upon hearing that familiar voice again, though failing to make out a face.

 

I smiled either way and went back to getting ready. I didn’t always hear it, but whenever I did it was accompanied by a sensation of comfort.

 

By the time I reached the forlorn kitchen, it was 6:26am.

 

I made myself some coffee and ate a quick breakfast.

 

As I was putting on my black boots, I noticed that my stepfather’s slippers were still at the doorway.

 

He didn’t come home? I turned around and noticed the answer machine light was blinking. I set my boot down and walked over to the answering machine.

 

Minako, I’m calling to let you know I’m staying late tonight. Um, I left some money on the counter in case you want to order something…. I guess that’s it. Take care.

 

I looked at the money that I didn’t notice last night and put it in my back pocket before heading back to the front door.

 

The sun shone brightly today, hitting me with warm rays of light as I walked to the bus stop near my home.

 

Today was a special day. I turn 17 and it also marks the first day of summer.

 

I knew I wasn’t that special, but there is something about feeling important on your birthday.

 

“Birthdays are special! Sure we can celebrate life every day, but then it would be so predictable and lose its special feel. Today is your day, enjoy it Min. As best as you can.”

 

 I listened to the voice and smiled as I passed by the Los Angeles streets. I arrived at the movie theater and treated myself to a movie, or two.

 

After the movies, I went to eat some lunch and got back on the bus.

 

Finally.

 

 I took a breath and smiled when I felt the ocean breeze hit my body.

 

I took off my boots and socks, before letting my feet touch the warm soft sand.

 

I kept my head down as I passed the other people enjoying the warm day.

 

I walked to the far end of the beach, where there were large rocks dividing the two beaches.

 

Not a lot of people came to this side of the beach, because it was labeled as “too dangerous”, but mainly it was because people didn’t know how to watch their step and ended up spraining their ankle on the rocks.  

 

That doesn’t mean that people don’t come here, I’ve met with people occasionally, but they just ended up ignoring me. The ones who did speak to me, were kind, but only came to take pictures and simply minded their own business.

 

Occasionally when people my age showed up and the occasional “drunk frat boys” spotted me, I quickly took off.

 

I wasn’t very good at socializing with people my age, or people in general.

 

As I made my way to the top of the rock, I remembered how easy it was for me to take off running when someone approached me.

 

Now, although I try not to let my guard down, I stayed put. I didn’t bother them they didn’t bother me.

 

“Humanity is good. Some people are terrible, but humanity is good, I believe that” “Why? Why do you believe that?” “Because, during tragedy, during a disaster, my mother always told me: look for the ones that are helping. There is always someone helping. Someone out there is trying to help us” (Mix of Hank Green and Mr. Rogers quotes)

 

I never stopped being afraid, but I did stop letting it show.

 

I arrived at the top and sat down, taking out my book and a small blanket.

 

I was engrossed in the book, that I didn’t notice someone approaching, until I heard a grunt close by.

 

I saw someone throw their leg over the rock and then heard a groan when they pulled themselves up.

 

“Made it!” The young man said, still lying on his stomach.

 

I bit my lip to stop myself from smiling.

 

“Okay, slowly” He said, lifting himself up slowly. When he was finally on two feet, he punched the air in victory.

 

I covered my mouth, but not fast enough to let out a chuckle.

 

The guy turned around, he cleared his throat and despite the serious face he had on, I noticed his cheeks flush. “Ah, sorry. I didn’t know someone was here”, He said in a low voice. I nodded and then turned my attention back to my book.

 

“Right” He mumbled, I glanced up at him and saw him sit close to the edge, looking out to the ocean. I took in his appearance. Although he was wearing simple black trunks and a white t-shirt, he made the plain appearance look a bit more appealing.

 

I felt my cheeks heat up and shook my head, focusing back on my book. I’ve seen handsome guys before, but I mean, I never approached them or talked to them.

 

I glanced back up and this time my attention went to the auburn hair poking out of his hat.

 

I felt a tinge of pain come from my head. I raised my hand to my head and pressed my fingers on the throbbing pain. I closed my eyes and slowly the pain began to go away. When I opened my eyes, the guy had put on his earphones and was dangling his legs from the edge.

 

I jumped when my phone began to vibrate. I picked up, glancing first at the guy, before answering.

 

“Hello?” “Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday dear Minnie, happy birthday to you” I smiled as I heard my sisters voice. “Thank you” “How did you spend your birthday?” “Movies, lunch and I’m at the beach right now. Nothing special.” “Sorry I couldn’t be there. Did dad get you a cake or something?” “He was busy, today. It’s okay, I had a good birthday”

 

Fei sighed, and then in a brighter tone she told me that she had sent a present. “Thank you, I’ll be expecting it” “I’ll text you later, I need to finish this damn report. Happy birthday, I love you” “Love you too sis, bye” I hanged up and put my phone back in my bag.

 

I packed up my book and stood up, I guess its’ time to go. The guy hadn’t turned around or really moved from his spot, I suppose he was just there for the view.

 

I began climbing down, when I heard him speak. “Happy Birthday” Out of shock, I lost focus and my foot slipped. “Ah” I slid down a bit, causing the rock to scratch my arms and fingers. “, here” I heard the guy said, quickly lowering his hand. I tightened my grip on the rock and looked down.

 

I slid too much towards the ocean; there wasn’t a way down without landing in the water. The only way was to climb up.

 

“I’m okay”, I said, pulling myself up. “Come on, just take my hand” I glanced up at him and, pushed off on my foot. “Move” I said, pulling myself higher, “Here” I heard him say, then reaching towards my waist. “Don’t’ touch me” I said with a panic voiced, the guys quickly pulled his hands back.

 

I quickly pulled myself up. I crawled away from the guy and checked my cuts. “I could’ve helped you” “I don’t care. I don’t need help,” I said, without looking at him and climbing back down.

 

“You thank someone when they help you. Don’t become a rude brat, Minako

 

 I stopped climbing and looked at the guy, who was watching me. “Thank you” I said, before descending and walking back to the bus stop.

 

It was late when I got home, but I didn’t see the light on.

 

“Hello?” I called out only to be greeted with silence. I slipped on my slippers and headed to my room, setting down my bag and changing into sweats and a long sleeve, then treating my wound.

 

I went to the kitchen and heated up the leftover pizza I had ordered yesterday. After grabbing a coke and my plate, I went to sit on the couch in the living room. I chose a random DVD and slipped it in the DVD player. I pressed play and leaned back on the couch.

 

“Happy Birthday, Min”