Immobilized

Madness

 

 

“Min? Min?” I scrunched up my face when I heard a faint voice, but kept my eyes closed.

 

“Min?” I heard the voice again, then a light knock.

 

I opened my eyes and blinked continuously before realizing that the knocking was coming from my door.

 

I groaned and got out of bed, dragging my feet on the soft carpet to the door.

 

When I opened it I saw my stepfather fixing the sleeve of his long sleeve.

 

“I have to leave earlier. I know it’s your first day, but I wanted to drop you off at school” He said, keeping his focus on the stubborn button.

 

“I’ll be ready in a bit”, I said, closing the door. I changed quickly and double-checked to make sure I had everything I needed.

 

I descended down the stairs and began to fill my thermos with coffee. As I was doing so, a plate with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with no crust was placed in front of me.

 

“Hurry up and eat, I’ll wait in the living room” my stepfather said, grabbing his suitcase and going into the living room.

 

When I was younger and I was scared, nervous or ill, my stepfather would make me a little snack. He wasn’t the best cook, but he always tried his best.

 

He didn’t express himself in words much, but if you knew him like I did, you would understand that even his little actions meant a lot.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“If you need anything, just call okay? Do you need money?”

 

 “I’m fine”

 

My stepfather nodded and shifted his gaze forward. I grabbed my satchel and got out of the car.

 

“Bye” I said, closing the door.

 

“Min” I turned around and fixed my satchel strap.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Take care” I smiled and nodded, before walking towards the front of the school.

 

When I reached the gates, I noticed they were still locked. I looked at my phone. It was 6:39am and the school didn’t open until 6:50am.

 

I sighed and turned around; my stepfather was nowhere to be found.

 

I wasn’t fond of crowds, but I wasn’t fond of extreme emptiness either. Fortunately there were cars passing by and the noise at least let me know I wasn’t alone.

 

I let out a long sigh before leaning on one of the pillars and letting myself slid down.

 

I took out my iPod and scrolled down my music. I took a sip my coffee and unconsciously stared at the ground under me. I examined the small strands of grass peeking out of the sidewalk cracks and leaned my chin on my palm unconsciously.

 

“Hm, fascinating” I glanced up, then out of shock threw my head back causing me to hit it against the pillar behind me. “Ow” I rubbed my head and heard a low chuckle.

 

I opened my eyes and saw a guy with blonde spiked hair lean up and put his hands in his pants pockets.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked in a deep voice. I cleared my throat and avoided eye contact, then gave a quick nod.

 

After chuckling once more, he took a seat next to me.

 

I scooted away from him, and then glanced his way, but he was simply looking out to the street with a blank expression.

 

He didn’t move for a few seconds, until he let out a breath.

 

“Why you find this view interesting is beyond me,” He said, turning his intimidating gaze to me.

 

I quickly turned my attention back on the green strands of grass.

 

I heard the guy grunt and from the corner of my eye saw him jump up on his feet. He stepped forward and stretched his arms upward.

 

I looked at up at him; he was a tall guy, looked built and seemed to have a naturally serious face.

 

“You must be new right?” He asked, without turning to me.

 

“You can talk right?”

 

 “Yes” I answered in a small voice, the guy pouted his lips and nodded.

 

“I thought so. Everyone here knows there’s a opened gate in the back” He said, then looked down at me and offered his hand to me. “I’ll show you if you want”

 

“I’ll wait here” I could feel his gaze on my head, but I didn’t dare look up.

 

“All right, if you change your mind the entrance is straight down, then make a right”, He said, before walking the direction he mentioned.

 

I watched him walk down the street until he turned right and disappeared.

 

I pulled my knees to my chest.

 

When the gate was opened, I jumped up and made my way inside the school.

 

It was empty and I realized that even though I was inside, class didn’t start until 8am.

 

I looked around and saw a couple of benches, but had a feeling that they were someone else’s “spot”.

 

I stopped walking and let my arms fall to my sides. I bit my lip and looked around the campus.

 

I couldn’t see anyone. Where is everyone? Why am I the only one here?

 

Stop it. I could feel tears starting to form in my eyes.

 

Isolation in a location that I wasn’t familiar with is nerve wrecking.

 

I admit to being a loner, but there’s a difference between not having friends and being entirely isolated.

 

Even if I would most likely not go up to them or actually speak to them, I wished there were students or teachers walking around.

 

Where is that damn voice when I need it?

 

 What am I suppose to do now?

 

“Come on, kid. You can’t show weakness here.”

 

I felt a rush of relief when I heard her voice and although I didn't know where to go, I began to walk.

 

At least I was moving and not immobilized with fear.