Happy New Year!

Madness

 

I’m going

 

Okay

 

I furrowed my eyebrows at Haru’s response, then sighed and put my phone away.

 

Fei glanced over at me, “What’s up?”

 

“Nothing”

 

We were sitting in the living room, watching some random TV show as we waited for CL to come pick us up.

 

Christmas was spent watching Christmas movies and only sitting down with my stepfather for dinner.

 

I enjoyed myself, but it would have been nice if my stepfather had watched at least one movie with us, like we used to do.

 

“Door” I broke out of my thoughts and heard the doorbell.

 

I stood up and walked over to the front door.

 

When I opened it, CL, Leo and Haru were standing on the porch, shivering.

 

“Can we come in? It’s freezing”

 

It was unusually cold today. I mean I knew were in winter, but it never got this cold in Los Angeles.

 

“Sure” I stepped back to let them pass.

 

“This is a huge house, what do your parents do?” CL asked.

 

“My stepfather is a film producer and scriptwriter. My mother died when I was 8”

 

“Sorry” CL said, biting her lip.

 

“It’s fine”

 

“What’s your father’s name?” Leo asked, “Alexander Hale”

 

Leo’s eyes widen and looked around suddenly amazed by his surroundings. 

 

“Alexander Hale is one of the most successful writers in the world of Film! This is his house? And you’re his daughter” Leo pointed at me; I had never seen him this enthusiastic.

 

“Stepdaughter, but yes”

 

“I-is he here?” Now he was nervous? He must be a big fan. I've never seen him like this. 

 

“No. It’s just my sister and I” I closed the door.

 

“Come on” I said, walking to the living room.

 

“This is my sister, Fei,” I said, when we entered the living room.

 

“Hello. It’s nice to meet you” Fei said, standing up and smiling her sweet smile.

 

“Are you ready to go?” CL asked us.

 

“Do you want to eat first? I made some delicious roast beef”

 

“Fei is finishing her last year in Culinary School in France, her cooking is the best”

 

“Well, we can’t refuse that!” We chuckled at CL’s outburst.

 

After we ate, we got in CL’s car.

 

Fei was sitting shotgun, talking to CL in French.

 

Apparently CL was French.

 

Who knew?

 

But that also meant that I had to sit in the back, fortunately Leo was in the middle of Haru and I.

I was pretty sure Leo noticed something was wrong, but just looked back and forth from us, until we both rolled our eyes at him and he sighed in defeat.

 

“That’s great!” I heard CL exclaim, then looked back at me from the front mirror.

 

“I’m glad you’re dancing again,” CL said, smiling at me before shifting her gaze back on the road.

 

“Yeah”

 

“Why haven’t you transferred to the Arts magnet then?” Leo asked.

 

Fei sighed, “My father doesn’t support Min in this. No matter how much I speak to him he won’t budge. In the end, despite her being gone, it’s always about Suzy”

 

I stiffen and looked at Fei, she was looking out the window lost in thought.

 

I don’t think she realized she said the last sentence out loud.

 

“Whose Suzy?” CL asked, Fei broke free of her thoughts and looked at CL a little taken back.

 

“Oh” Fei looked back at me, I shifted my gaze to the scenery passing by.

 

“Our younger sister. She passed away a few years back”

 

“. Sorry again.” CL mumbled, biting her lip again.

 

“I’ll just put some music on”, CL said, turning on the radio.

 

We listened to the top 40 hits, quietly.

 

Awkward.

 

CityWalk was packed; it was New Years Eve after all.

 

CL had gotten tickets to a movie beforehand, to kill off two hours before the big countdown.

 

Leo some way managed to make Haru and I sit together.

 

I wasn’t able to concentrate on the movie very well with him sitting next to me, but at least I managed to get a laugh out of him when I burst out laughing during one of the scenes.

 

It was 10:40 when we got out

 

“I’m going to get some snacks” CL said, “I’ll come with”, Fei added.

 

“We’ll be back”

 

“I’m going to the bathroom”, Leo said and suddenly he walked away disappearing in the crowd. 

 

Haru and I glanced at each other, and then looked away.

 

Awkward.

 

“Was Suzy the reason you stopped dancing?” Haru asked me quietly.

 

I nodded and glanced at him, he wasn’t looking at me, but at the floor.

 

“Guilt to be exact”

 

I sat down on an empty bench. Haru sat down next to me.

 

“But I’m dancing again”

 

“That’s good to hear”

 

We sat in silence, until I heard him clear his throat.

 

“I’m sorry. I know that I might’ve come across-“

 

“It’s fine. You don’t have to apologize” I stretched my arms forward and leaned back on the bench.

 

“It’s going to be a new year after all, let’s put it behind us”

 

Haru smirked and met my eyes. “Sounds good”

 

As I stared at his eyes, I noticed a hint of sadness in them. As if he was trying to hide something with his smile.

 

I wasn’t thinking as he leaned closer to me, or when his face was inches from mine.

 

My heart was pounding and my body was frozen once again, but this time it was because I felt if I moved…he would move away….

 

“Come on kids, just wait until the countdown!” A random stranger, who I assume was drunk by his slurred tone, hit Haru on the back.

 

I unfroze and turned away, my cheeks burning.

 

“Okay, seriously I understand it’s New Year’s Eve, but could it kill them to flush the damn toilet?” Leo appeared, shaking his head in disappointment.

 

“Did something happen?” He asked suspiciously, I was pretty sure my face was as red as Haru’s hair right now.

 

“I’m going to the bathroom” I heard Haru say. I saw him leave and then glanced at Leo, who was looking at Haru with an amused smile.

 

“Your sister is pretty cool. CL seems to love her,” Leo said, changing the subject completely.

 

I smiled, “Yeah, she’s the best. She has always been supportive and whenever I need her, she’s always there, but she’s also very determined and very clear with what she wants in life. She can go from sweet and loving Fei to strong-minded Fei in an instant”

 

“What about Suzy?”  Leo asked softly.

 

I chuckled and leaned back on the bench.

 

“Suzy was very different. She was ambitious and didn’t allow anything get in the way with what she wanted. If she wanted to do something, she did it. But if something didn’t go her way, she put herself down. She liked to show everyone how she felt, both the good and bad”

 

“What about you?”

 

“Me?” I shrugged.

 

“I didn’t express myself like Suzy, but I showed it by actions…I guess. I worked hard and didn’t like complaining, I just did it”

 

“And you’re easy to talk to and if we get passed the quiet demeanor, you’re actually very friendly” Leo said.

 

I chuckled, “I used to be like that…” I trailed off.

 

“Then Suzy died?” I nodded, “Then Suzy died”

 

We watched people pass, until Fei and CL came back with snacks.

 

“Come on, we can stand for an hour, where’s Haru? Why is he always missing” CL said frantically after she checked the time.

 

“We can see the monitors from here, relax” Leo waved her off.

 

“Haru, you’re going to make us miss the countdown!” CL yelled, when she saw him approaching.

 

Haru checked his phone and rolled his eyes, “There’s still an hour left and we can see the monitors from here”

 

CL rolled her eyes and Leo simply chuckled.

 

“All right, let’s go. Get up” CL pulled me up and began dragging me towards the crowd around the large stage.

 

After miraculously making our way close to the front, CL began dancing.

 

Fei and I joined her while Leo and Haru stood uncomfortably bobbing their heads to the music.

 

Time flies by when you’re having a good time.

 

The crowd began to move and I noticed they were making room for people to dance in the middle.

 

I clapped and cheered for the brave souls who danced in front of the large crowd.

 

“You’re up” I felt myself be pushed to the cleared spot.

 

During my past training my Dance Instructor used to make us freestyle at random times. It could be before the lesson, in the middle or in the end. It always caught us by surprised.

 

I assumed I would’ve froze in place, like I always did, but the instincts of back then must’ve kicked in, because before I knew it, my body matched the beat and I could hear the crowd cheering.

 

I finished my small performance with a chest pop and turned around.

 

I grinned wide at the clapping and cheering then went running into Fei’s arms.

 

“My dancing princess!” I heard Fei say, hugging me tight.

 

“Woohoo! Badass Dancing Machine right here” CL yelled, wrapping an arm around me and pulling me close.

 

I laughed at her cheers and accepted the high fives the strangers around me were giving me.

 

CL wouldn’t let me go, but I turned my head to look at Haru and Leo.

 

They were smiling and clapping along, but they were also looking at me with a proud expression, the one I wish my father would show.

 

I smiled back, and then joined CL and Fei in the cheering.

 

“It’s almost time! One more minute! The host bellowed.

 

“Yeah baby!” CL yelled, finally letting me go and joining in the countdown.

 

Fei joined her and Leo took his spot right behind CL, smiling up at the monitor.

 

I saw someone appear next to me and beamed when I saw Haru next to me.

 

“You’re a good dancer” He yelled, “Thanks” He nodded and faced forward.

 

“Get ready! 12…11…. 10…9….8….7…6…5”

 

“Do it now!”  I felt someone get pushed into me and saw Haru’s surprised eyes. We both looked back at the same drunk stranger, who we saw on the bench, he winked and began shouting with the others.

 

“4…. 3.”

 

Haru had his arms around me from trying not to fall and my hands had gripped his jacket to keep him from brining me down.

 

“2…1! Happy New Year!”

 

I looked around at the people hugging each other and the couples or random strangers kissing, before I looked at Haru.

 

I could tell he didn’t think it over this time. My eyes closed right when his lips touched mine.

 

I tightened my grip on his jacket and ignored everything around me. 

 

“Hey! Whoa, away from my Minnie!” I felt myself being pulled away and hugged by CL, who was playfully glaring at Haru.

 

“Fei, he has corrupted our Min!” I knew my cheeks were flushed, but I couldn’t help laugh.

 

Fei had covered her face and was jokingly crying.

 

“My baby sister is growing up” I rolled my eyes and hugged her.

 

“Happy New Year” I said, she hugged me back.

 

“Happy New Year, Min. I really hope this year treats you well” She whispered, we pulled away from each other and I saw her reach over my shoulder.

 

I turned around and saw her holding Haru’s hand; she pulled him over and put his hand in mine. 


Leo put his arms around both of us, “Come on, New Year’s has just begun”

 

“Maybe this year will be our year…”