Getting to know Haru

Madness

 

This is going well.

 

I looked from Haru to my father. They were both quietly reading the menu, looking at it like it was the most interesting menu they had ever read.

 

My stepfather had merely greeted Haru outside and entered the restaurant without another word.

 

Haru had on a bright pink collared long sleeve and over it he was wearing a navy jacket. He had on white dress pants and black dress shoes. I knew from what he wore outside of school that he liked to overdress himself.

 

But my stepfather wasn’t shallow. He didn’t care if you had on the most expensive suits or the most laid back outfit, he focused on personalities. It is the trait I admire most about him.

 

“Have you been here before, Haru?” My stepfather asked after we ordered our food.

 

“Yes sir, my parents actually met here in this restaurant” Haru said, picking up a wine glass filled with water.

 

“What do your parents do?”

 

“My father is a surgeon at the Los Angeles Children Hospital and my mother is a Professor at UCLA”

 

My father was listening to Haru intently. He didn’t look impressed or disappointed; he was merely trying to get to know him a little bit better.

 

“What does your mother teach?”

 

“English Literature”

 

They continued talking about Haru’s parents until the food arrived.

 

We ate quietly, but the conversation picked up right after our plates were cleared.

 

“Any siblings?” I took a bite from my dessert and looked over at Haru after he didn’t respond right away.

 

My father also looked up, noticing Haru looking straight at his plate.

 

“You all right, Haru?” I asked, putting a hand on his arm.

 

He jumped slightly, I wouldn’t have noticed if I weren’t touching him.

 

“Yeah” he cleared his throat and looked up at my father.

 

“I had a younger sister, but she died when she was 6. A car hit her while she ran across the street”

 

“I’m sorry to hear that,” My stepfather said, glancing at me, I shrugged slightly, letting him know that I didn’t know about this.

 

“It was a long time ago” My stepfather nodded.

 

I awkwardly took another bite of my sorbet.

 

 “So, are you planning on going to college?”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“Are you going to pursue medicine like your father or teaching like your mother?”

 

“Neither. I’m pursuing Music Composition and Business. I want to be a music producer one day and also a songwriter”

 

“Really? That’s a big goal” My stepfather seemed genuinely impressed.

 

Though he wrote scripts and produced films, they were slightly similar.

 

“Min is planning on studying business, so one day she can work in my company. Did she tell you?”

 

I kept my stare on my dessert. “She didn’t” Haru said, I knew he was looking right at me, but I didn’t dare look up.

 

Things were going so well.

 

“With her top grades I’m sure she’ll be accepted to a top school, we’re hoping UCLA or somewhere close to home”

 

“Fei is studying in France right?”

 

“She is, but Fei has always been incredibly careful. Min is a bit careless,” My stepfather said with a light chuckle.

 

“What like, someone could be trying to kidnap her and she wouldn’t notice?” Haru said casually, but both my stepfather and I stiffen.

 

 Haru must’ve noticed our sudden stillness, “Is something wrong?”

 

My stepfather cleared his throat, “Not at all. I’m going to use the restroom, Min get the check please?”

 

I nodded and asked our waiter for the check. “Right away Ms. Hale” He said, taking our empty plates away.

 

“I know Fei said your father wasn’t supportive of your dancing, but are you really going to follow his plan?”

 

I looked up at Haru and shook my head.

 

“Of course not. I’m going to tell him, soon.”

 

“Do you think he’ll be mad?”

 

“Maybe disappointed. I’m hoping he’ll realize that this is what I want to do, but he’s still under the impression that Suzy was the enthusiastic dancer in the family and that dance was only a hobby for me. In a way, I suppose accepting Suzy’s dreams is like holding on to her”

 

Haru put a hand on mine. “Yeah, but you’re still here. Your dreams should be important too”

 

I smiled and put my other hand on his.

 

“I’m going to tell him, just not now”

 

Haru nodded and let my hand go when my father approached.

 

After paying the bill, Haru bid us goodbye and my stepfather and I went home.

 

“He’s a good kid”

 

“He is”

 

“That’s good”

 

“Mhm”

 

And that was it.

 

The rest of the car ride was quiet until we said goodnight and went into our rooms. 

 

I leaned back on the door and sighed.

 

I felt relieved the night went well, but a new burden was on my shoulders.

 

How will I tell him?