The Truth and a Drunk

Madness

 

Another lesson finished.

 

I grabbed my duffel bag and walked outside to wait for CL, who had offered to pick me up.

 

I waited patiently on the bench in front of the Dance studio. I sat there, watching the people and cars pass by, until I noticed a figure next to me. I felt a finger get shoved harshly on my shoulder.

 

“Why you” Ruth slurred. I stood up and made a face when I smelled the large quantity of alcohol.

 

“Why you!?” I looked at her pitifully, she was moving side to side, trying to keep herself from falling.

 

I heard someone honk and when I turned around I saw CL waving.

 

I looked back at Ruth, who started to cry.

 

“Hey, what’s up?” CL got out of the car and walked over.

 

“She’s drunk”

 

“I can see that. Do you know her?”

 

“She’s in my homeroom and a couple of my classes”

 

“Do you know where she lives?” I glanced at Ruth, “Nope”

 

“Why you!” She yelled suddenly, catching the attention of some people passing by.

 

“We should get her out of here before she get’s caught” CL said, I nodded and put her arm around my shoulder.

 

“Come on Ruth” I said softly. She sobbed quietly, but let herself be led to the car.

 

“Please don’t throw up” CL mumbled.

 

I sat down in the back with Ruth.

 

“Ruth, I’m sorry, but you need to tell me where you live. Can you do that?”

 

She started crying.

 

“So she’s a crier, I’m more of a crazy hugger”

 

“I’d love to hear more about your drunk adventures CL, but another time” CL shrugged and began driving.

 

“Ruth, come on. Tell me where you live so we can take you home”

 

“It’s not fair” Ruth cried.

 

“Yeah well, life is a and it’s not fair. Deal with it or you’ll be trapped in an abyss of disappointment and alcohol poisoning”

 

CL snorted, “That’s refreshing”

 

Ruth stopped crying, but continued after a few seconds of silence.

 

I sighed, “1…5” She said through sobs. After finally getting an address, CL went straight there.

 

Now I was standing on the porch of a beautiful white house with a drunken girl leaning on me.

 

I really hope her parents don’t make things worse.

 

“Ruth!” A woman, who looked a lot like an older version of Ruth, appeared at the door.

 

“Oh my god, what happened?” She asked, her daughter’s cheek.

 

“She was in the city drunk. My friend and I saw her and brought her home”

 

“Are you her friend? I haven’t met you before” Her mother asked, finally looking at me.

 

“I’m her classmate”

 

“Thank you so much for bringing her home. She’s been so upset about not getting accepted to her fist choice” Ruth’s mother said.

 

“What school did she not get into?” I asked out of curiosity.

 

“USC. Her father, her brothers and I all went to USC, but we’re just proud she got into a good school. Honey!”  She yelled into the house.

 

Good. I’m getting tired.

 

Her father appeared at the door and upon seeing Ruth he quickly picked her up.

 

“What happened?”

 

“A classmate found her in the city, drunk. Oh Dan, she’s so upset” Her mother was close to tears.

 

Her father looked and me and nodded, “Thank you.”

 

“Min, I’m sorry” Ruth mumbled, hiding her face in the crook of her father’s neck.

 

“It’s fine. I have to go home now. Have a nice night,” I said, walking down the stairs.

 

I got into CL’s car and she drove away.

 

“We’ve done good, kid. We’ve done good” I rolled my eyes and leaned back on the seat.

 

The feeling of guilt inside me eased down, but I couldn’t help think about another “Ruth” who wanted to go to one of the schools I was accepted and couldn’t help wonder if they had drank away their disappointment, like she had.

 

Yeah well, life is a and it’s not fair. Deal with it or you’ll be trapped in an abyss of disappointment and alcohol poisoning.

 

I smiled. I knew I heard that somewhere before.

 

After CL dropped me off, I noticed my father waiting for me in the living room.

 

“I’m home”

 

“Why are you taking Dance lessons after school?”

 

Uh-oh.