The Dark Room

Madness

 

This dark room again?

 

I sat on the floor, hugging my knees as I stared at the darkness in front of me.

 

“Min, what are you doing?” I heard her voice. I looked up and saw Hawthorn. The outline of her body was glowing white like mine.

 

“Hawthorn?” She smiled and sat down in front of me.

 

“You’re doing well”

 

“Thanks to you”

 

She looked at me confused, “What did I do?”

 

“ You talked to me and guided me,” I mumbled.

 

Hawthorn gave me a sympathetic smile and shook her head.

 

“That wasn’t me. Those were your own memories guiding you”

 

I furrowed my eyebrows, “I don’t understand?”

 

“Your mind recollected past memories and used them whenever you needed them. Those times you heard me, they were simply conversations we’ve had before”

 

“What about now?”

 

“This is your conversation, Min. You’re listening to what you already know and what you want to hear and seeing what you want to see”

 

“You’re not real?”

 

“I’m dead. You know that, but I’ll always be there” She pointed to my heart and then my forehead.

 

“In your mind whenever you think of me and in your heart whenever you miss me. I know we don’t have many happy memories, but don’t ever doubt the affection I felt for you. You gave me hope, when I was so close to losing it. You gave me a reason to keep fighting and for that I’ll always be grateful”

 

“Where are you Hawthorn?” My voice cracked.

 

She merely shrugged.

 

“What will happen with Haru?”

 

She frowned.

 

“Once the truth comes out, the pain will as well. So you need to wake up and face it”

 

“I’m asleep?” I asked, looking around the dark room.

 

“Simply unconscious, but your mind is safe now, so you can wake up now. Wake up, love. Wake up”

 

I closed my eyes and was engulfed in darkness.

 

I opened my eyes and closed them again as the white lights blinded me.

 

I tried opening them again, but my vision was still blurred.

 

Once my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw Haru sleeping next to my bed.

 

I slowly lifted my hand and his hair.

 

He fidgeted and finally opened his eyes, which were red and puffy. 

 

“Min, you’re awake!” He quickly got up and kissed my forehead.

 

“Wait here. I mean where else will you go… I’m going to get a doctor,” He said and quickly left the room. 

 

I frowned.

 

How hurt would Haru be once he knows the truth?

 

I closed my eyes.

 

I don’t want you to get hurt, but it’s unavoidable. I can’t stay quiet.