The End.

Madness

 

The next few weeks were tough.

 

I spoke to investigators and my psychologist about what I remembered and the faces I could now distinguish.

 

Now that they knew who they were looking for, I hoped it wouldn’t be long until they found the monsters.

 

Haru didn’t come see me again.

 

Leo told me that the police had spoken to his family about Hawthorn and that they were now trying to search for a body.

 

“So, I guess you guys were like destined” Leo said, handing me a glass of water.

 

I cracked a smile; he smiled sympathetically and went to sit down on the chair next to my bed.

 

Even though I felt physically all right, my father didn’t want to take the chance and kept me in the hospital. That is until all interrogations and statements were given and I could go home without police officers and investigators asking me more questions.

 

I said all that I remembered and I was finally brought home, but I was told to rest for a few days.

 

“How bad is he?” I finally asked Leo, who let out a breath.

 

“He’s upset. When he heard about Hawthorn’s death, he broke down. He had always been angry at Hawthorn for leaving the family. He didn’t understand why she left them and always blamed her boyfriend for putting ideas in her head…” Leo rubbed his eyes.  

 

“Haru is devastated. He doesn’t want to leave his room and he feels the blame of letting Hawthorn go” 

 

Leo leaned his cheek on his palm.

 

“He was angry at her, he was angry at Scarlet and he was angry at himself. He had a bad temper when he was younger, that’s how I met him. He was in the middle of getting into a brawl in the street when I jumped in and pulled him away. Haru as the only brother felt he had the responsibility to protect his sisters and he couldn’t. He loved Hawthorn and Scarlet more than anything and he felt like he failed them”

 

I wiped my eyes. “I wish I could take away his pain. It hurts knowing he’s like this… but I couldn’t stay quiet”

 

I gripped my bed sheets; “I have to put those monsters in jail. I had to-“

 

“I know. Hey, I know” Leo put a hand over mine and smiled.

 

“It’s not your fault okay? Haru just needs to be with his family right now and he’ll come back to us. Just wait”

 

 

-

 

When I returned to school I received a few get-well cards and my classmates were a lot kinder, but they still kept their distance.

 

I ended up missing 1 month of school, but focused on passing my finals so I could graduate on stage.

 

Leo told me that Haru had decided to take Home Study and I didn’t see him until the morning of our graduation.

 

His face was drained a bit and he had bags under his eyes.

 

I saw his mother fix his robe with a soft smile on her face.

 

“Here” Something was place on my head.

 

 I turned around and saw my father smiling down at me with Fei next to him.

 

I reached up to touch the cap and smiled at them.

 

“Come on, Min. We have to line up” Leo appeared. He quickly greeted my father in an enthusiastic tone.

 

“All right, let’s go,” I said, pushing him towards the group of students that were starting to line up.

 

Since his last name was Ito and mine was Hale, there were only 2 people in between us.

 

We smiled at each other before the ceremony began. I took a deep breath and started walking.

 

~

 

The 2 hours passed and we were finally high school graduates.

 

After hugging Leo I went off to find my family in the crowd.

 

I passed Ruth and her family; she smiled at me and congratulated me as well.

 

“If you ever need a lawyer in maybe 8 years, feel free to call me” She said, I chuckled and nodded, then went on my way. I’m glad I patched things up with her.

 

“Min” I felt a grip on my wrist. I turned around and saw Haru standing in front of me.

 

He let go of m wrist and gave me a small smile. I beamed up at him, but my smile slowly faded.

 

“Hey…you look terrible,” I said softly, touching his cheek. He moved away and rolled his eyes.

 

“Thanks” He scoffed.

 

I tried to get him to look at me, but he just glanced at me before looking away.

 

“I only came for my mother” He said, I bit my lip, trying to hide the disappointment I was feeling.

 

He didn’t want to see me?

 

“I’m going to New York this summer, for some Dance Course. When are you leaving to NYU?” I asked, trying to ease the tension.

 

“I’m not going to NYU,” He said, finally looking at me.

 

I frowned, “Why not?”

 

“I’m leaving the country. I’m going overseas for school. I think the distance will do me good,” He said, shifting his gaze back on the floor.

 

I felt my stomach drop.

 

Another country?

 

“Well, maybe we could see each other in the summer or something. There’s Winter Break and Spring Break as well-“

 

“I can’t look at you right now” I was taken back by his harsh tone.

 

He sighed and rubbed his eyes, “Every time I see you, I see her and it hurts” he said softer.

 

“You were the last person to see her alive and I can’t look at you without seeing her dying. I can’t” His voice cracked and I noticed tears in his eyes. My heart ached for him, I wanted to reach out and hold him.

 

“I’m sorry, but I can’t be around you”

 

I looked down at the ground.

 

“My feelings for you haven’t changed, Min. But…I can’t do this now…. I-I’m sorry” I heard him say, but when I looked up he was already walking away.

 

I wanted to run to him, to stop him from going, but I couldn’t.

 

His pained expression was all it took to stop me from running to him.

 

Haru come back please.

 

It can’t end like this?

 

I wiped my tears and shook my head.

 

No.

 

I’ll see him again.

 

One day you’ll be able to look at me and smile that beautiful smile of yours.

 

This isn’t over, Haru.

 

Although my heart was aching, I’ve learned to never give up hope.

 

One day.

 

We’ll see each other again.