Burdens

The Distance Between Us

 

"We can’t turn things back to how it was before...We became worse than strangers, we became burdens to each other"

 
A/N: sorry, this chapter may be quite confusing as there are a lot of time jumps as I've tried to combine 4 chapters into one so as to not let the story have too many chapters which would lead to it being draggy. Also, this chapter would be filled with tons of annoying short paragraphs, so I apologize in advance D: hope you guys won't get bored out by this D: Hehehehe PEACE!

 
Kyungsoo walked down the familiar hallways of the backstage of Music Core. The hallways, so familiar and solemn. He is not ready to face the audience yet. Sitting down at a random seat out of nowhere, he let his face fall to his hands.
 
Kyungsoo is tired. He is tired of his idol life. He is simply tired of everything.
 
He hates that he still has to act that he is happy in front of the fans. He hates that he has to smile and interact with Baekhyun in front of the cameras even when his aching heart says otherwise. He hates that he has to fight back his tears and act that he is truly happy under the supervision of everyone.
 
Kyungsoo sighed. Slowly, he got up from his seat and continued his journey to EXO's backstage room. 
 
As he approaches the room, he heard a soft voice whimpering behind him. Frowning, he turned around and made his way towards the sound.
 
"Owwwwwwwwwwww~" Kyungsoo heard someone whining from behind a stack of chairs. Curious, he went over.
 
"Ouch! God damn heels!" a cute voice cursed.
 
Kyungsoo chuckled lightly at the figure on the floor. Judging from her costume, she must be a fellow artiste.
 
"Hey there, are you okay there?" Kyungsoo called out. Being his usual kind self, he couldn't help but asked.
 
"Ehhhhh?! I'm fine!" the voice said as the female jumped up from the floor.
 
Kyungsoo looked at the figure before him and he was stunned momentarily. The girl had a big ribbon tied to her hair, she was wearing a cute little costume. The female blinked back at Kyungsoo, clearly stunned too.
 
"O-oppa?"
 
Kyungsoo snapped out of his reverie.
 
"Hello Minah."
 
Awkward silence enveloped the both of them. They had ended their relationship months ago. It's been four months since either of them spoken to each other.
 
"How have you been?" Minah broke the silence, smiling.
 
"I...I've been better." Kyungsoo smiled back. Minah fidgeted with the hem of her shirt.
 
"Wow, it's been what? Four months?" Minah laughed.
 
"Yeah..." Kyungsoo scratched his head awkwardly.
 
"Oppa, it's fine you know, people come and go all the time. You don't have to feel bad." Minah smiled again. Kyungsoo felt guilty. After all, he broke up with Minah because he felt something for Baekhyun.
 
"I...I'm sorry. I have no lame excuse for the things I've did, so...I'm sorry."
 
"It's okay oppa. You don't have to be sorry," Minah smiled as she patted Kyungsoo's shoulder," one thing that bothered me though, is that why did you break up with me so suddenly?" Minah asked as she took a sit on a chair, clearly tired of standing.
 
"I...I"
 
"Oppa, come, sit beside me," Minah gestured the seat beside her for Kyungsoo, and Kyungsoo sat down.
 
"You broke up with me, so the least you could do is tell me why, isn't it?" Minah said kindly. She certainly has changed from that haughty clingy girl to a more mature one after the break up.
 
"You're right." Kyungsoo sighed before putting his face back into his palm. Minah rubbed his shoulders lightly.
 
"Go on~" Minah encouraged.
 
"I... I was in love with someone else..." Kyungsoo started. Minah grew rigid, but didn't say anything.
 
"It's okay oppa."
 
"No it's not. Nothing is okay." Kyungsoo felt tears threatening. Minah looked concerned.
 
"What is it oppa? You know you could tell me, right?" Minah spoke in a soft voice as she ran comforting circles on Kyungsoo's back.
 
"I... I am gay." Minah froze.
 
"O...kay? Go on." Minah encouraged. Kyungsoo was shocked at how accepting Minah is.
 
"You're not freaked out?"
 
"Of course not. Come on, we are living in a modern world now. These type of relationship is normal." Minah laughed lightly, "so how's your relationship with that guy?" Kyungsoo sighed.
 
"It didn't work out." Kyungsoo cried softly. Minah pulled Kyungsoo into a hug.
 
"Awww oppa, don't cry! You're making me tear too. I feel bad for you, honestly." Minah said comfortingly causing Kyungsoo to smile a little. The thing that Kyungsoo liked most about Minah is her abilities to make him smile even when he don't want to.
 
"People comes into our lives for a reason, and it is often to bring something we must learnt. And we are often led to those who helped us most to grow, if we let them, we also helped them in return. If that relationship didn't work out, move on and take it as a lesson learnt." Minah said as she let go of the embrace. Kyungsoo looked her in the eyes as he smiled.
 
"Thank you..." Kyungsoo sniffed.
 
"You're welcome!" Minah gave Kyungsoo a pat.
 
"You are really a great friend, Minah." Kyungsoo smiled.
 
"I know right! We could be best friend!" Minah squealed.
 
"Yes we could." Kyungsoo chuckled.
 
"This is so exciting! I've always wanted a gay best friend!" 
 
"Err... Minah, it's kind of sensitive if you say it this way."
 
"Oops, sorry oppa!"
 
"It's okay." Kyungsoo stood up, "well, I should probably get ready for my stage now!"
 
"Okay! Hwaiteng oppa! Do text me if you ever need someone to talk to!"
 
"Thanks! Good luck for your stage too!" Kyungsoo smiled as he jogged to his waiting room. After Kyungsoo is out of sight, Minah sighed. 
 
"Why are all the cute boys either attached, younger than me, or is gay?! Ugh this is so frustrating..." Minah huffed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"This week's winner is.....f(x) with Rum Pum Pum Pum!" The emcee announced and the confetti-cannon fired. 
 
The EXO boys stood on the stage awkwardly as f(x) said their thanks and sang to their encore song. 
 
Baekhyun was standing beside Kyungsoo on stage, smiling brightly to the cameras while swaying to the encore song, while Kyungsoo just stood there awkwardly, not wanting to interact with anyone.
 
"Soo, come on dance!" Baekhyun said, smiling to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo faltered. How fake could Baekhyun be?
 
Kyungsoo ignored Baekhyun as he continued swaying to Rum Pum Pum Pum. Baekhyun frowned a little. Bending over to Kyungsoo's ear, he breathed, wanting to say something, only to be cut off by Kyungsoo.
 
"Which part of stay the hell away from me do you not understand?" Kyungsoo bit out with an angst expression. Baekhyun stunned.
 
"Soo, we are working now. There are cameras." Baekhyun said, smiling, so that if the cameras caught them talking, it would seem like they were having fun.
 
"I don't give a hell about the cameras. Just go away." Kyungsoo said, before smiling ironically to the cameras and hopped off to join the others.
 
Baekhyun sighed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
At SM Entertainment the day after Music Core performance.
 
"What the hell is wrong with both of you?" The manager shouted at Kyungsoo and Baekhyun, pointing to the video of f(x)'s encore on Music Core, featuring Baekhyun trying to talk to Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo ignoring him.
 
"Do you know that because of this, fans are speculating that you guys are quarreling?" The manager continued. 
 
"Well, at least they've got one thing right about us." Kyungsoo kept a straight face as he replied.
 
"This is your job, you should do it well." The manager huffed. Suddenly, Kyungsoo stood up.
 
"I'm leaving, I can't stand being in the same room as him." 
 
Baekhyun froze. He has no idea what to say. The manager grabbed Kyungsoo's arm as he was walking out.
 
"I know that you are upset with him. But trust me, we all do," the manager shot Baekhyun a disgusted look, "but try to look more professional in front of the camera please." The manager begged. Kyungsoo looked over at Baekhyun.
 
"Sorry, but I'm not as good in acting as him."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
At Sukira radio station.
 
"He wants professional, I will give him professional." Kyungsoo said to the mirror in the toilet while adjusting his hair and make up.
 
It's been a few days since his manager told him off for ignoring Baekhyun on broadcast, and that night, they have a Sukira radio show.
 
As the boys filed into the broadcasting room, Kyungsoo sat beside Chanyeol. The others filled in the empty seats, but no one is willing enough to sit with Baekhyun. Baekhyun sat in an empty seat in between Sehun and Jongin. Sehun gave a "tsk" sound, while Jongin remained silent. The tension is obvious. 
 
"Today we have these handsome boys with us." Ryeowook started the radio show, and through the show, it is filled with fans asking questions, them playing games, and some singing.
 
"Okay, now we will have a break, enjoy this song playing next!" Ryeowook said cheerfully. Then, the boys took off their headphones and stood up to do some stretching. Kyungsoo smirked.
 
"I will now show them what is professionalism." Kyungsoo thought as he stood up and made his way towards Baekhyun who was standing at a corner.
 
Baekhyun froze as Kyungsoo made his way towards him. Then, suddenly, Kyungsoo threw his arms around Baekhyun and started squeezing him.
 
Oh his arms, how Baekhyun miss that feeling of Kyungsoo's warm embrace. Everyone in the room looked shocked, but did their best to hide it. Then slowly, Kyungsoo shifted his arm  to Baekhyun's neck to do a strangling position.
 
"S-soo! What are you doing?" Baekhyun asked softly. Kyungsoo smirked before whispering into Baekhyun's ear.
 
"I'm being professional."
 
Baekhyun was stunned for a moment.
 
"Yah, cameraman, take a photo of us!" Kyungsoo said, then the camera caught the photo of Kyungsoo strangling Baekhyun playfully.
 
Kyungsoo let go of his grip suddenly before making his way calmly back to his seat. Everyone looked at him in awe, they had no idea how calm and collected he could be, after that scene.
 
Kyungsoo gripped the hem of his shirt tightly as he maintained his smile.
 
He is not going to break down.
 
Not now at least.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"What the hell was that?" Baekhyun shouted as he opened the door to Kyungsoo, Luhan and Sehun's shared bedroom.
 
Kyungsoo looked up at Baekhyun with a bored expression, before turning back to his book. Baekhyun huffed in frustration.
 
"Do Kyungsoo. I'm talking to you."
 
"I'm not interested in talking to you." Kyungsoo said, not looking up from his book. Baekhyun sighed in distress.
 
"Why. Why are you doing this to me?" Baekhyun said tiredly. Kyungsoo shrugged.
 
"I'm not doing anything, I'm just doing my job, being professional." Kyungsoo said. Baekhyun looked at him incredulously. Kyungsoo stood up.
 
"Please excuse me, I need to excuse myself from you before you start the sweet-talking crap again." Kyungsoo pushed pass Baekhyun and walked into the kitchen.
 
In the kitchen, Kyungsoo felt tears rising, but he bit it back down. His heart hurts so much. He wants Baekhyun so so much, but he couldn't bring himself to forgive him.
 
Not after what Baekhyun did.
 
"You okay?" Jongin's worried voice sounded out. Kyungsoo was in the kitchen with his back facing Jongin.
 
"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" Kyungsoo said as a single tear slipped out of his left eye which he quickly wiped away.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In the dorm one night.
 
"Oh hyung! Immortal Song 2 where Jongdae hyung went and lost is starting!!!!" Sehun said excitedly as he jumped on the couch like a hyperactive little kid and also totally ignoring the fact that Baekhyun had also went to the competition alongside Jongdae. Baekhyun and Jongdae had sang a duet, "Really I Didn't Know" which is a song about a man leaving a woman, for the competition.
 
It was one of the nights where the boys get to rest in the dorm early. 
 
"I wanna see how well I sang!" Jongdae said proudly as the boys huddled in front of the television. Kyungsoo sat at the corner of the couch while Baekhyun sat at the back of the room, far from the others. 
 
For Baekhyun, the competition had been intense. Singing that song just brings in too much pain and emotions for him.
 
"As we were still young, we had not experience such feelings before, so forgive us for our lack of experience" the Jongdae in the TV said. Baekhyun almost rolled his eyes. Lack of experience. Baekhyun had experienced enough.
 
Kyungsoo on the other hand, tried his best not to look at Baekhyun. He had heard them practice this song in the practice rooms in SM Entertainment, but he had not went to hear it live as he is afraid that he may break down in front of the cameras. 
 
"Shhhhh it's starting!" Sehun said as he clasped his palms together. Luhan smiled, rubbing his head. Sehun is just like a little brother to him.
 
Then, the first note came out from Baekhyun. 
 
The man I loved so dearly, has deserted me
And I am now weeping, holding with my wretched heart
 
The man I trusted with his love, has left me indeed
Honest God, I really didn’t know that he would leave me
Really, I didn’t know
 
The sound of someone whistling I hear
Perhaps could it be he?
Would he be back?
I am finding myself wretchedly waiting for him
 
The man I trusted with his love, has left me indeed
Honest God, I really didn’t know that he would leave me
Really, I didn’t know
 
The sound of someone whistling I hear
Perhaps could it be he?
Would he be back?
I am finding myself wretchedly waiting for him
 
The man I trusted with his love, has left me indeed
Honest God, I really didn’t know that he would leave me
Really, I didn’t know
 
The man I loved so dearly, has deserted me
And I am now weeping (And I am now weeping), holding with my wretched heart
 
The man I trusted with his love (with his love), has left me indeed
Honest God (Honest God), I really didn’t know that he would leave me
Really, I didn’t know
 
As the performance ended, everyone applauded and whooped. Kyungsoo felt his heart ache. 
 
It hurts. His heart freaking hurts.
 
The passionate voice of Baekhyun filled to the brim with emotions, it's just too much.
 
Swallowing hard, he stood up from his seat.
 
"Hyung, where are you going?" Sehun asked, "aren't you gonna watch how they lose?" Sehun said cutely, earning a smack from Jongdae.
 
"Yah! We lost on a good cause!" Jongdae scolded.
 
"I'm tired, I'm going to bed now. You guys enjoy." Kyungsoo gave a weak smile before walking into his bedroom.
 
As he walked out of the room, Baekhyun gripped the armrest of the seat, controlling himself, forcing himself not to chase after Kyungsoo and hugging him. It took him everything to keep his gaze on the television and not look at Kyungsoo and run to him.
 
His heart aches so much. He wants to hug Kyungsoo and tell him not to leave. He wants to kiss him and make everything alright.
 
He wants to start anew with Kyungsoo, and just make everything perfect once more.
 
But he couldn't.
 
Not if Kyungsoo doesn't let him.
 
In the bedroom, Kyungsoo broke down. He sobbed into his pillow.
 
The passion that Baekhyun poured into the song that was directed towards him is just too much.
 
He wants Baekhyun back so so much. 
 
He wants to wake up in the morning snuggling to Baekhyun's blueberry scented, warm body. He wants to kiss Baekhyun and let Baekhyun dominate his body. He misses Baekhyun's body heat, Baekhyun's lips, the way Baekhyun touches him. He want Baekhyun to leave hickeys on his neck marking him as his property as he did in the past. He want their love to be beautiful and sweet once more.
 
But he couldn't.
 
Nothing could ever be perfect again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Naver Star Cast.
 
"Next up, from the singing club, Baekhyun and Chen!" Baekhyun walked up the performance stage with Chen acting as if they are warming up for practice.
 
"There's a new club member! D.O!" Shindong, the emcee said. Kyungsoo walked out calmly as he sang Baekhyun's lines in "Baby Don't Cry"
 
"Don't hesitate anymore~ just take away my heart." Kyungsoo jested. Baekhyun smiled although he felt a pang in his heart.
 
After introducing each of them, they went to take their seat. Kyungsoo chose to sit beside Baekhyun. Baekhyun fought really hard to keep his smile on.
 
The show contains of tons of interviews, fan comments, and it is basically tons of crap and crack. Baekhyun really prefers to be at his dorm now and just waste his day away, or be at the company to practice his singing and dancing alone, than being here, sitting in such a close proximity with Kyungsoo, feeling tortured by the scent of Kyungsoo's familiar cologne.
 
However, the things took a change in the star cast broadcast.
 
"D.O. ssi, can you please say something to Baekhyun sshi now?" Shindong asked. Kyungsoo smirked.
 
"Baekhyun ah~ " Kyungsoo said cutely. Baekhyun fidgeted in his seat.
 
"Nowadays you're kept on teasing the teammates right?" Kyungsoo said.
 
"Ah that's right." Baekhyun said, avoiding eye contact with Kyungsoo as he maintained his smile.
 
"But you teases me the most." Kyungsoo said. Baekhyun gave out a soft laughter as he looked up at the ceiling when he felt tears threatening. 
 
"Ah.." Baekhyun looked at the emcees and smiled while the rest of the members laughed. All of them are thinking "lies lies lies" in their head, but showed nothing as they are on a live broadcast after all.
 
Kyungsoo began running his palm on Baekhyun's back, sending shivers down his spine. Baekhyun love the feeling of Kyungsoo touching him, but he couldn't bring himself to return the skinship, fearing that Kyungsoo may jerk away.
 
"But really, he teases you the most?" The emcee asked. 
 
"Yup." Kyungsoo replied as he grabbed Baekhyun's hand and put it on his lap. Baekhyun froze. All the other members eyed them suspiciously especially Jongin who was sitting beside Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo tightened his grip on Baekhyun's hand. Baekhyun felt his thoughts flying away from him. He could only concentrate on Kyungsoo's warm palm gripping tightly to his hand. The fans cooed at them. Baekhyun could no longer focus on the conversation. It wasn't until the emcee spoke.
 
"So what will happen if he goes too far?" Shindong asked. Kyungsoo smiled before replying.
 
"I will hit him if he goes too far. I like it when he teases me as it means that I'd get to hit him." Everyone on the set laughed out loudly, snapping Baekhyun back to where he is. He gave an awkward laugh before replying.
 
"Ahh, that's right."
 
Baekhyun felt tears welling, but he smiled them away. He looked at Kyungsoo who looked back at him.
 
"Smile to the camera, you're frowning." Kyungsoo whispered.
 
Baekhyun smiled.
 
He smiled a fake smile.
 
.....
 
.....
 
.....
 
...
 
...
 
...
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
Heyyyyyyyy so....here's another update of depressing crap. I bet that this chapter is confusing....I have totally no idea what I'm writing OTL I'm so sorry for everything :'( but basically this chapter sums up on how they act in front of cameras when they are working, and off camera when they are back at the dorm and stuff. So...... I'll probably update again today, or tomorrow or Sunday hehehe depending on my working speed :3 it's holidays now!!!!!!! Meaning more updates, anyway,this story is ending really soon, 3 more chapters to go so...bear with me!!!!! Thank you all for reading this fic even though it may have :( I apologise once again for all my grammatical/vocabulary errors D: I love you guys!! <3