Just Concerned

What Are The Chances...?

The next days were spent in routine. They were remarkably spent how they should and repetitively if that makes it any more interesting. They were exactly almost perfect replicates of the past week. Only this time Chanyeol picks Jungsoo up twice from Baekhyun's, but with notice that went like—Baekhyun-ah, the way home's really traffic. I can't really arrive there on time, so could I bother you to bring Jungsoo at your place again? I'll be there as soon as possible. I'm really sorry and thank you.—through a text.

 

Of course Baekhyun couldn't really say no to that. Every opportunity he could help Chanyeol is an opportunity as well for him to get to know the older better. And call it is his favorite pastime, but he really has taken a liking into labeling himself not just as Jungsoo's favorite hyung but playmate as well. 

 

This wasn't left unnoticed by Joonmyun, however, because he had to contact Jungsoo's father for confirmation and let Jungsoo tag along with Baekhyun only because, Yes, Joonmyun-sshi, I kind of asked Baekhyun to bring Jungsoo along with him because I couldn't arrive there on time.—Yes, I know him.

 

It's not that Chanyeol is rejecting Joonmyun's superiority in being the owner and founder of Funshine, just that he'd like to think he at least knows a portion of Baekhyun's background and that's enough for him to trust the lad—getting along well with Jungsoo, only a bonus. Chanyeol also thinks it's unnecessary to pop the pretty question of whether or not Baekhyun would be willing to help him in taking care of Jungsoo, because if anything, the lad's doing even more help than he expected. Maybe he should just be troubled with thinking of a way in which to repay him for all his help in the most sincere way.

 

Kyungsoo noticed as well the attachment Jungsoo has on Baekhyun now—that he wonders what magic really it is that Jungsoo's father has cast upon his best friend, but Baekhyun keeps mum about this and says that it’s nothing at all! and that being able to help the father and son is his pleasure when Kyungsoo could only otherwise think how much of an irresponsible parent Jungsoo's father is and that it's probably just Baekhyun's crush on Jungsoo's father taking its toll and where is his wife anyway?—doesn't he have other relatives worth bothering for his son's welfare?—for God's sakes Baek, you have your studies to be more mindful of!

 

Baekhyun shrugs at this, because truthfully he doesn't know the answers to these impending questions as well and thinks the Parks are rather suspicious, but then again they're adorable and a package deal: a pair of good-looking father and son. Maybe he'll somehow figure out answers to all these questions he's also asking in mind if and only if he spends more time with them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On a weekend, Chanyeol goes grocery shopping with Jungsoo to stock on weekly supplies. Chanyeol's not so busy and it just so happened that Jungsoo's been whining every other time about his lack of rice krispies in his lunch packs to eat at the daycare. Chanyeol couldn't help but agree anyway, because he misses the packs of the said treat whenever he secretly gets a handful out of Jungsoo's pile. Plus, they're running out of food to eat at home as it is even if they rarely get to eat together at home anymore.

 

They're apparently on isle 6, with Jungsoo pulling every cereal box he sets his eyes on onto their cart full of junk. He's comfortably seated next to their pile of supplies, because he could no longer fit the baby carrier. Chanyeol hadn't wanted him to wander off and stand alongside as he rolls the cart ever since they figured he doesn't fit anymore, most probably afraid that Jungsoo might get lost and cause unnecessary and uncalled for tantrums just to get to Chanyeol as fast as he could. It's happened once, by the way, and it didn't go quite well either because Chanyeol then had to claim a sobbing Jungsoo near the PA counter and even had to get blamed by a handful of mothers for his irresponsibility. Never mind the fact that they even spited him for being a single parent. That was one mouthful experience he's sure he doesn't want to experience any more than that one time. People, Chanyeol concluded in his 23 years of living, really has a way of being nosy and sticking their noses in everyone else's business. 

 

It's before Jungsoo pulls a 4th box over to their cart that Jungsoo spots someone or rather two people that seem familiar in his peripheral view. True enough, he's greeted by the sight of Baekhyun and Kyungsoo when he looks to his left and has the audacity to scream.

 

"Stop, appa!" and Chanyeol stops rolling the cart abruptly before he notices the two volunteers at the daycare just as well. 

 

"Baek hyung! Kyungsoo hyung!" Jungsoo claps in delight, leaning over the metal edges as he stands on the cart. 

 

"Jungsoo-ya!" Baekhyun greets, smiles as he approaches the father and son with Kyungsoo following suit. He adjusts the carry cart on his shoulder before he waves with his free hand towards Jungsoo and Chanyeol. He peers over Chanyeol's towering figure just as well and exclusively greets him, "Fancy meeting you here, Chanyeol-sshi."

 

"We're kind of running out at home," Chanyeol says, smiling just enough in return. "Jungsoo wouldn't stop whining about rice krispies either," he laughs.

 

Baekhyun takes a moment to process what Chanyeol is saying before he's distracted and looks down at the cart. He sees a bulk of rice krispies at the corner, ramen here, ramen there, and ramen scattered everywhere. He looks on the left and spots 5 big packs of junk food: Lays, Cheetos, and Ruffles— Frito-Lay products, really— that aren't all healthy choices for a kid like Jungsoo to eat. There are also bags of seaweed and kimchi jars, bath essentials, and food condiments that he's not really sure what Chanyeol will be using for seeing as his cart doesn't even have meat but artificial-looking ones like that suspicious kani imitation sticks and does he even know how to cook? 'But maybe they're not yet done shopping,' Baekhyun thinks, and maybe Chanyeol does know how to cook. It takes a moment just as well for him to notice Jungsoo's absence standing from the cart. He looks at Chanyeol's side and spots no one, until he's nudged by Kyungsoo at the side and turns to Jungsoo right up on Kyungsoo's arms.

 

"Ah, I almost forgot!" Baekhyun exclaims, pointing at Kyungsoo as he looks at Chanyeol. "This here's my friend Kyungsoo, Chanyeol-sshi. I don't know if you've formally met him or seen him around, but we're both volunteers at the daycare." Baekhyun turns to Kyungsoo just as well and says, "Kyungsoo, meet Jungsoo's dad, Chanyeol."

 

"It's nice to meet you, Kyungsoo-sshi," Chanyeol only nods at Kyungsoo's direction with a smile, seeing as Kyungsoo doesn't have a free hand for a hand shake. 

 

Kyungsoo does likewise and says, "It's likewise nice to meet you, sir."

 

But then Chanyeol shakes his head and says, "Don’t have to be so formal."

 

"Hyung then," Kyungsoo says, before mentally dancing in victory because finally he's met the irresponsible father!

 

Chanyeol doesn't even have time anymore to complain to that and go through the whole Chanyeol's fine shenanigan, because truth be told this Kyungsoo looked a little intimidating to him. It must be the big doe eyes unlike Baekhyun's small ones, so he just nods and turns to Baekhyun once it's been said. 

 

"So Baekhyun, what are you doing here?" he asks, arms freely folded on top of the cart's handle.

 

"Ah, we're doing last minute item hunting," Baekhyun replies. "We have an outreach program at a children's shelter tomorrow and the school kind of informed us on short notice, so here we are. We're basically just missing a couple prizes for the children and quick food to eat."

 

"That's really good," Chanyeol remarks, for lack of a better thing to say. "You must be doing great then."

 

"Yeah," Baekhyun agrees, shifting slightly on daze mode because he doesn't know but that short compliment—(and is that even a compliment?)—Chanyeol said sounded just perfect. 

 

"So..."

 

"Um."

 

"Yeah, Baek, I think we better get going," Kyungsoo butts in with a palm on his face, deeming the situation as an awkward one with Baekhyun being his awkward self in front of a crush. See? This is what Kyungsoo is saying. Interesting, isn't it? Kyungsoo then returns Jungsoo in place on said cart where he got him in the first place and tugs on Baekhyun's wrist. 

 

"Yeah...," Baekhyun whispers, before Kyungsoo elbows him even more to get him back to his senses. "Oh, right!" he says in alarm, remembering what he had noticed earlier on Chanyeol's cart as he walks a little further beyond Chanyeol's personal space to tiptoe (but he retreats when he feels Chanyeol lowering himself) and whisper in his ear, "I hope I'm not intruding and I'm not saying your choice of food is the worst or anything, but maybe you could try healthier options. Like, say, bibimbap. I eat junk myself and probably all the time too because I live on my own, but whenever Jungsoo comes over he's always asking for chips and says you always make him eat them. I'm just concerned." 

 

Chanyeol actually looks thoughtful for a moment, wallowing in his irresponsibility mentally as he turns to Baekhyun on his side.

 

"You're actually right," he says, staring at Baekhyun for a moment. "You're a genius, Baekhyun. Thank you so much. I actually always forget that he shouldn't be eating what I eat in large portions," he rubs at his nape, thinking how much of a disappointment he is as a parent figure with a growing kid.

 

"O," Kyungsoo pauses, continues to say, "kay," only when he notices Baekhyun stunned in his position that Kyungsoo deems it fit to walk over and lightly punch him on the shoulder. "We really should get going."

 

"Ah, Chanyeol-sshi, see you around," Baekhyun hurriedly bows at the elder before Kyungsoo's taking him away. 

 

But then...

 

"Wait, Baekhyun! I almost forgot," Chanyeol yells. "Are you free Wednesday next week? It's a holiday. Maybe you could come by the house. I'd text you. You could bring your friend along. I'd really like to make it up to you."

 

"What for?" Baekhyun asks in confusion.

 

"It won't be anything big or extravagant, but I'd like to thank you for helping me out a lot," Chanyeol says, lips firm in a thin line.

 

"But there's no—

 

"It would be really great," Chanyeol says with a charming smile.

 

—need to."

 

"I insist," Chanyeol says ever so intently with dimples forming on his cheeks.

 

Of course Baekhyun couldn't really say no to that, even if Chanyeol wouldn't even let him finish. Baekhyun doesn't really need anything in return, but okay. Why not? He couldn't say no to that. Not to Chanyeol's charming smile, not to Chanyeol's dimples, not to Chanyeol insisting, not to a period of time in his life to spend with Chanyeol in it.

 

Baekhyun definitely can't say no to Chanyeol.

 

At least, 

 

Not now.

 

Not later.

 

Maybe even forever—kidding-wise.

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey, Baek, what were you thinking?" Kyungsoo asks. "What was that about just now? Don't tell me it's nothing now."

 

"I said he needed to get healthier options," Baekhyun casually says.

 

"That was awkward," Kyungsoo says distractedly. "Why would you lecture him about his parenting skills now? Are you his wife now?"

 

"No and nope," Baekhyun says innocently. "I'm just concerned."

 

"Still, awkward Byun Baekhyun. And did you see yourself? You were totally drooling and making these ooey gooey eyes at him."

 

"I wasn't!"

 

"You totally were!"

 

"Was not."

 

"Was too."

 

"Not."

 

"Yes!" Kyungsoo exclaims.

 

"Shut up, Kyung," Baekhyun says surely. "I. WAS. NOT."

 

But he really was. Kind of, at least.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So what are the chances that Park Jungsoo leads Park Chanyeol to Byun Baekhyun?

 

Hold me.

 

It's almost a 100%!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A/N:
 
I love Baeksoo, in a platonic way. And sometimes I get jealous of Chansoo, like *ehem* recently. They're cute, though. Anyway, I promised an update and an update it is! I was actually planning to make it longer, because I was MIA for a week but an update nonetheless! :)
 
Guys, I'm back! Hold me. I had feels writing this impromptu. 
 
It's not so detailed like usual, but I hope you guys liked this as well! And this is unbeta-ed, so if any errors...pardon...mian. ^^