Random Findings

What Are The Chances...?

***DID MAJOR EDITS ON THE FIRST PART or rather just added a humorous part LOL, BECAUSE I CANNOT MOVE ON IF I AM NOT SATISFIED WITH SOMETHING. The chapter's now 2.7+k! Hihi. ;)

 

And if you've noticed, I've also come up with creative titles now too! I was getting bored with the roman numerals and you know those french numbers I used before? Yeah, I easily get bored with titles and so voila! :D Do they make sense, though? Haha!

 

I don't know if this will be weird for all of you, but I think this is one big fail. One big mistake. Hit me on the head if it doesn't make sense. :(((((((((( Non-sense filler chapter ahead:

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun receives a weird confession on one particular day in university, but he's not really sure.

 

In the midst of him packing his bag away to storm off like usual to the daycare as Kyungsoo waits at his side, someone appears in full just as he was peering at the two friends.

 

"I just finished my class," this someone greets, slowly but surely walking steps toward the two, "next door."

 

Baekhyun looks up much to his surprise, greeting said boy with a smile as he says, "Hi xiao Lu." It's been a term of endearment, but more of familiarity actually since they are thesis mates along with Kyungsoo. Xiao means small, by the way. Kyungsoo does the same, just with not as much enthusiasm.

 

"I didn't think I'd catch you, because you're almost always on your way to the daycare so fast?" Luhan sounds nervous, stating in half question with both hands in his pockets. "I just...," he pauses. "I want to talk to you, Baekhyun.

 

"And this is about the thesis, right?" Baekhyun quips. "The professor has checked the first part that we had done a few weeks ago and Kyung has got it back with the revisions we need to do."

 

"No, actually...," the other sighs, "but it's something I've been thinking about ever since we became thesis mates, anyway."

 

"Um, do I," Kyungsoo starts awkwardly, gestures his hand toward the door as he continues to ask, "need to wait outside? I mean, is this—"

 

"I think I like you, Baekhyun," Luhan says abruptly, halting all movement in said room with just those 6 words.

 

"I like you too, xiao Lu. You're nice."

 

"More than a friend," and oh, wait Baekhyun looks at Luhan blankly at that. Weren't they just having so much fun back in the amusement park a week ago as platonic friends? What's this now then? He's not really shocked or anything close to that, but he just doesn't know what to say as he grits his teeth and tries to understand the situation he is in. When he looks at Luhan, he just doesn't feel like he sees anything in there. He thinks it's platonic—that Luhan's just blinded.

 

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, has a pointed look in his eyes, classifying Luhan from head to toe as if he hasn't in the months that they've been doing the thesis anyway. "But I'm not sure," Luhan comes back. "I just thought you needed to know."

 

"Thank you," and Baekhyun has no words other than that.

 

Kyungsoo at the side is mentally laughing at all of this. Forgive him, but he can't help but think that this is so high school and if it isn't... he just doesn't know what is anymore.

 

"You're really nice and all, Luhan, but—"

 

"Kyung!" Luhan exclaims all of a sudden. "A little help here, maybe?" he asks. "He's starting to believe it!!"

 

Kyungsoo just looks at Baekhyun's dumbfounded expression, before he drapes a hand over his best friend's shoulders and says, "He was just kidding. It was random. I told him to do it, because I just randomly thought you'd look funny. Anyway, I needed Luhan to make a grand entrance in which I could laugh at you because yaaaay he's volunteering at the daycare now too!!"

 

"What's with you, Kyung? I don't like Luhan that way!" Baekhyun counters, ignoring the remark about Luhan tagging along as volunteer at the daycare now too. He inwardly is happy at the news, though.

 

"Stop complaining! It's just to get your mind off things. You've been spazzing about Chanyeol hyung's inactivity in your life."

 

"What!? I never—"

 

"Look, can you shut up Byun Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo looks at Baekhyun intently, eyes battling with each other. "And stop feeling it so much, because Luhan doesn't like you that way too. Remember that kid Oh Sehun at the shelter? He's got him waiting, you know," he pauses. "Luhan kind of has a for younger boys," he says this in a whisper. 

 

"Oh."

 

"Hey, I heard that!" Luhan pops out. "And just for the record, I don't, so you shut up Do Kyungsoo."

 

"I don't know any more with the two of you...literally," and Kyungsoo hollers him out with Luhan, because it was just a joke and it's necessary they laugh about it.

 

They laugh until the subway and Kyungsoo starts lecturing him about how there's a lot of fish in the sea. Baekhyun doesn't even know anymore where Kyungsoo's coming from or where these thoughts are stemming, because he clearly doesn't remember mentioning about Chanyeol or somewhere along those lines. But maybe it's because Kyungsoo's his best friend and so he knows a lot about Baekhyun, whether he tells him about it or not.

 

 

 

 

 

The time Baekhyun counters the infamous saying that there are a lot of fish in the sea, they're already in the subway station waiting.

 
"But that saying is too overrated! Isn't there one that says the early worm gets the fresh catch?" Baekhyun sarcastically retorts, just really to say something actually.

"But think about it! Maybe this is it, Baek. And fresh, really? He has a son!!" Kyungsoo exclaims in outrage, hands up in the air.

 

They hear a long deafening sound of the train tracks and a dry mechanical hum, signifying that the transit train's coming any second now. 

 

"What is?" Baekhyun asks, stepping on over the train in struggle of all other passengers pushing and pulling from side to side. He keeps intact of Kyungsoo and Luhan on both sides, grabbing at their wrists respectively. "And can you lower down your voice!?

"To get your mind off things. To find out if you really like Chanyeol. If it's more than a crush or something like that."

 
"But I don't like Luhan that way."

 
"I'm not saying Luhan in particular either! Did you really believe that?!"


"I was about to!! Whatever made you want to do that, anyway?"

 

"I told you, it was a random joke made out of fun."

 

“Well, it wasn’t a good joke.”


"Did I just hear my name?" Luhan cuts in, but they ignore him. 

 

"And whatever happened to Yunhee, Hajung, and what was her name again... the girl who was crazy over you?" Kyungsoo chooses to continue interrogation.


"Right, I just.... I'm very liberal, okay? We've talked about that before, right? That I kind of like both... you know."

 
"You're bi, but whatever. I'd much rather think you're gay."

 
"Can you not be vocal about it? We're kind of in a subway, Soo!!"

 
"So let me get this straight...," Luhan butts in again. "Who's this again Baekhyun likes?" 

"You'll see, Luhan," Kyungsoo says. "You'll see."

 

And Baekhyun could only sigh in defeat.

 

 

 

 

 

Life goes on as usual then.

 

Although, this time, Chanyeol seems more distant. At least, to Baekhyun. They're not so close so to speak, if Baekhyun may admit, but it's the truth and even if it hurts it's not under Baekhyun's control. He doesn't know, but he doesn't even get to bring Jungsoo to his house this week. If anything, Chanyeol's beyond even more punctual this week and they don't get to talk so much either. It's not that they have to, anyway, but Baekhyun was starting to think of it as a routine just to watch that thought slowly fading out even before it's started.

 

Suddenly it feels like a reenactment of Jungsoo's first week in the daycare. Like when Chanyeol speeds off so fast that Baekhyun barely even sees his face or even catch a glimpse of him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the other hand, Chanyeol thinks that it's clearly not ignoring Baekhyun that he's doing. It's just something necessary to be done, because he doesn't want to pursue the confusing feeling in his heart, whatever it is growing day by day when he sees Baekhyun. Chanyeol has an idea what it is, but he doesn't think he has the courage to clarify. It's a feeling completely foreign to him, because it just is. And it's not because he particularly wants to ignore Baekhyun, but he sees another familiar face in the daycare and sometimes Kyungsoo is nowhere to be seen. Is the guy a new substitute now? Is he Baekhyun's new best friend? Wasn't he the one with Baekhyun back at the amusement park? They're kind of not closer than the way he sees the Kyungsoo and Baekhyun duo, though. They're not closer, but Chanyeol thinks there's something going on. Or maybe he's just that paranoid of the new face’s clinginess to his Baekhyun.

 

Now where did that come from?

 

Maybe he clearly just needs a re-evaluation of his beliefs in life or a break. Yeah, maybe a break—to loosen up, filter out the negative vibes, because maybe this is just stress and the result of over-thinking equating to paranoia.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun sighs for the umpteenth time in the middle of the day in the middle of the week watching Soojung's group of girl bullies approaching Jungsoo and Luhan preventing anything from happening. It just so happened Kyungsoo was out for the day.

 

However, he still can't stop thinking about Chanyeol giving him the cold shoulder for whatever unknown reason. It doesn't help that Chanyeol's being a little distant from him lately because who knows why? Is it because of that guy Kris? Chanyeol doesn't even text him now, other than Thank you, which he'd only receive close to zero the past week because the older's been punctual in fetching Jungsoo from the daycare. Clearly, Baekhyun doesn't think he'd done anything wrong. Or maybe it's just his tendency of thinking there's so much more into how Chanyeol treats him.

 

He hasn't even bothered to go and visit the Parks, because for all he knows, he actually felt alienated the last time he went.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun receives a very good news from the university a day after, however, before he goes to the daycare in the form of a white envelope. The dean just gave it to him and personally, refusing to acknowledge anything written in what looks like a letter to Baekhyun. The dean merely just smiled at him with the department head of the child development when he was asked to come in the office. The thing was all graduating students are required to accomplish practicum before graduating as requirement and this news just makes it so much easier on Baekhyun's part, because...

 

Dear Mr. Byun Baekhyun, 

 

         We are formally happy to announce you've been chosen as one of the training teachers for an out of school activity!

 

The department has taken time to deliberate this kind of rare occurrence and has come up with the decision that it should be done. In line with this, we've considered the time you may have to spend for your practicum partial requirement for graduation, so we're granting permission for this to be considered as your practicum itself. We're officially selecting you as one of the few students, after having seen your potential and outstanding participation, to go to Busan to teach for a month long to preschool students. This will happen in the duration of your semestral break. Further announcements will be clarified before the said activity.

 

All the fees regarding the trip and the month long teaching will be covered by the school from day one to the last.

 

We hope to hear from you soon, in the case you may accept.

 

Baekhyun's eyes literally grow as wide as they could, because you've got to be kidding me! 

 

This is surely an opportunity for me.

 

The activity is happening so near to now, too! Two months more and he'll be on his way to Busan and experiencing the life...of what he wants to be with the career he wants to pursue.

 

Contrary to all the sulking moments for the past week Baekhyun has been feeling, he instead feels a little lighter and much more energetic as he surveys the school to look for Kyungsoo to tell him the big news.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Chanyeol-ah, have you had lunch yet?" Kris looks up from the pile of papers on his desk. Chanyeol had come in promptly to his office when he'd rung him on the telephone.

 

"Nope, not really," Chanyeol shakes his head, simultaneously seeming preoccupied about something. 

 

Kris seemed to have noticed it and offers, "So should we go for lunch?" 

 

"Yeah, okay," Chanyeol smiles in response, already being pushed by Kris out the office.

 

 

 

 

 

They somehow end up at a nice restaurant nearby serving well done steaks and someone suggesting finding Ms. Right somewhere out in the open. Chanyeol doesn't even know it happens, if not for Minseok and Jongdae whispering loudly at the side with their non-existent mouth filters.

 

"Look, Chanyeol," Kris whispers, "I'm doing you a favor. Tell me what your ideal type is."

 

Chanyeol looks at Kris incredulously. "What for?" 

 

"Maybe you need a woman in your life," Kris offers, a knife and a fork intact in both hands. "I mean, being a single dad sure is hard."

 

"Just look at those legs, Minseok," Jongdae on the side says, apparently done eating his food and just really sightseeing or more like women seeking really.

 

He's so blunt he doesn't even whisper it as the woman he's talking about looks at their way and crosses her legs in disgust, preventing Jongdae from seeing anything further.

 

Whatever happened to him and Minseok kissing face?

 

"But why did we have to bring them along?" Chanyeol points to the duo seated across him and Kris, frowning when they're disgustingly and obviously fawning over random women passing by.

 

"So how about legs, Chan?" Minseok asks innocently and discreetly this time, leaning over where Chanyeol's seated.

 

"I don't know," Chanyeol sighs. "I really don't think I like them."

 

Jongdae just looks at him in disbelief. "Really!? Are you kidding right now, man? Just look at those nicely shaped booties, too."

 

Chanyeol thinks he doesn't like them either, or maybe sort of, but not really. 

 

"How about, you know?" Minseok pounds his chest.

 

"Nuh uh. I just really want to finish my food right now," Chanyeol looks at his half-finished plate of steak. 

 

"But seriously, man?" Jongdae prods. "Anything specific?"

 

"Like a characteristic, for example," Kris suggests. 

 

Chanyeol sighs finally. "Maybe cute," he says in a sigh when he realizes he couldn't escape from interrogation. "And someone shorter than me."

 

In which Minseok complains. "Too generic."

 

"Well, what do you want me to say?" Chanyeol says in a straight face, starting to get really pissed with all this Ms. Right qualities, because to be honest, he doesn't even know if he's looking for a miss

 

"Explain further in detail."

 

"There's just one thing I really require, actually," Chanyeol sighs for the umpteenth time. He thinks of someone in particular and starts naming the qualities he’s after. "He's got to have a charming smile, a happy disposition, and a caring—," Chanyeol widens his eyes in realization he just sort of defined that maybe he's looking for a Mr. Right with that single pronoun used. It's ironic he says there's only one requirement he, but he ends up saying a lot anyway, but it's not like it matters anymore now.

 

"He?!" Kris, Jongdae, and Minseok ask in exclaimed unison.

 

Chanyeol looks at all of them in frustration then, clutching a portion of his hair to find out if this is currently reality and it is because it definitely hurt. He thinks of explaining to them, but Jongdae beats him to it.

 

"What happened to Jungsoo's mother, then?" Jongdae asks first, hitting one of Chanyeol's nerves.

 

"Is that the reason?" Minseok follows shortly after and Chanyeol thinks about what a good idea it is if the floor just swallowed him whole right now.

 

"Guys, guys," Kris hollers. "Leave Chanyeol's personal matters out of the questions."

 

Thank you, Kris.

 

"So let's go and find Mr. Right then," is the last thing Jongdae says that's got Chanyeol face palming.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So what are the chances Park Jungsoo leads Park Chanyeol to Byun Baekhyun?

 

 

Does it feel like it's slightly back to square one? Oh no!

 

 

Maybe someone just needs a re-evaluation in his life and someone else needs to seek something new.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N:

 

I'm sorry guys huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh I am crying rivers of tears at this fail. I am so sorry. Shouldn't have done it this way, but I promised and I'll feel really bad if I didn't put this up now.

 

I don't know...I just..................what did I just do. It feels like 2.2k of fail. FAILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

 

I want for the floor to swallow me whole instead to vanish from all of you, to not keep disappointing all of you. Because of this, I might need to re-evaluate my writing skills. It's sloooooooowly deteriorating. :((((((((((((((((((( I'm not even kidding.

 

-Edit-

 

The chapter is now 2.7+k if you're wondering why it became longer. :O