On Impulse

What Are The Chances...?
So it appears that this is the bomb I've been working on. I'm still not fully recovered, but recuperating from my asthma if you weren't able to read my previous A/N. And then again, official HAPPY NEW YEAR since I think this is the first chapter I'm posting up in the year.
 
Enjoy and don't forget to leave a feedback, if you may! ^_^ And I don't have much to say other than this, so there'll be no author's note at the bottom. And correction, it's 8.2k. Also, this is barely beta-ed, so bear with the errors first as I edit things out. Yehet~
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

It finally happens one time after a date following the daycare's anniversary on a Saturday, Jungsoo's birthday party preparations aside, after which a question.

 

When Chanyeol had teased right at Baekhyun’s front door—that same tactic he uses; breath ghosting over the younger's face, eyelashes fanning cheeks, lightly bending over because of the height difference, and a full-on battle mode staring game.

 

It started innocent, when Baekhyun doesn’t even notice that Chanyeol’s gotten inside of his living room and has him pinned on the back of his front door. 

 

It was meant to be a joke, courtesy of Chanyeol, but then a sliver of want courses through Baekhyun’s veins. He tiptoes and bam!—two pink pairs meet.

 

But let’s leave out the details for later.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun writes his return approval letter at the start of the week for Busan. He's going. He wants to. He knows it's something he loves, something that he doesn't need the help of others to decide on. He's promptly called his parents to inform them and they couldn't be any happier than him for it. It's an opportunity he surely doesn't want to miss. Anyway, he was still kind of feeling insecure about himself. Something at the pit of his stomach tells him he should—tells him that it would be his alternative of a healing if ever things don't push through the way he'd like. But if, and only if he allows a green light in his' and Chanyeol's relationship, then maybe he'd tell him—he'll find a way. Surely, he'll be able to understand, right?


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Joonmyun gathers all the daycare volunteers on a Monday afternoon: Luhan, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, 7 new volunteers, 4 of which girls and the rest boys. Even Jongin joins, for lack of a more interesting thing to do than read his mangas repetitively as he waits for Jungsoo. The owner waits as all the volunteers settle down in their seats, curious faces painting an expression on their faces in wonder on what the sudden meeting will be about. 

 

Deciding that they're ready to hear news, Joonmyun grabs a big duffel bag from his secret stash in the daycare and fishes out stacks of storybooks or at least that's what they look like. 

 

"These are storybooks," he says, as if it isn't obvious enough. He receives a response from Jongin with a rude roll of the eyes, which Kyungsoo doesn't fail to notice as he's forced to nudge the older to behave. "But that's obvious enough, I suppose. And these shall play a really big role a week from now. As you all know, Funshine is a newly established daycare in town. But we're nearing the fifth month and it would be really good if we could plan an event for it for the kids. It won't be anything large-scale, don't worry. I haven't got sponsors for it either, so it would purely just be us and our hard work as a team."

 

"When's this going to be, hyung?" Luhan asks. 

 

"I'm thinking Saturday next week, but that depends if you're all free on said date. We could push it on Sunday, though."

 

"What's it going to be like exactly?"

 

"It will be just a regular day in the daycare, actually. Only that there'll be storytelling and programs. It would actually be really good if one or two of you could sing."

 

"I'd like to!" 

 

The voice that speaks this time is surprisingly different—all bright, bubbly, and exuding so much energy in her every word. She's one of the new girls, but emitting a really contradicting aura from the other girl she's sitting beside. 

 

"Thank you, Luna." Joonmyun smiles in her direction.

 

"I could do a solo," she says, "but I'm thinking more of a duet. Maybe Krystal here could sing with me." She nudges the girl beside her, unclasping arms that are crossed and attempting to get her friend to participate more. 

 

"I don't know," Krystal plainly says, straight faced and seemingly uninterested with the whole idea. Luna pouts at that and looks at the others for help. She's not all that familiar with anyone of them as they're new faces just as well in the daycare.

 

"Or maybe I could just do the solo." Luna sounds defeated, all huffs and puffy cheeks because her only friend isn't even cooperating. 

 

But just when she thought the deal's set as so...

 

"I'll sing with you." 

 

It's Kyungsoo. 

 

This produces a smirk on both Luhan's and Baekhyun's faces and a scowl on Jongin's face.

 

"So that one's set. Kyungsoo and Luna are doing a duet." Joonmyun nods in approval. "Anymore?"

 

"I'll dance."

 

It's Jongin and it's got everyone staring at him in real and utter surprise. 

 

The rest of the meeting went swell. The volunteers all broke up in small and big groups, discussing preparations and as little as the detail as to who will be the one's storytelling. The original duet became a group of singers, but still separate in two performances with Kyungsoo and Luna and the other with Luhan and Baekhyun. Krystal expressed her lack of interest evenly with all of the performances as she's just not in the mood and willingly took on the preparations with the extra volunteer help of Jongin. Originally, Jongin will be the only one dancing, but Luhan took on the challenge as well. The rest were put on game preparations and KTV sing-along activities. 

 

The week is bound to be really interesting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the same day at night, Chanyeol goes home greeted by the sight of Jungsoo and Jongin sleeping adjacent on the chairs in the living room. This time he didn't even go with Baekhyun on a date to come home this late, just that he couldn't see the end of the traffic as he was going home after a tiring day at work. Chanyeol's really mentally drained at this point, even left his briefcase in the car to rot for the files to work out themselves. 

 

He looks at Jongin and Jungsoo messily draped on the chairs and has half the mind to think to join them, but then he's tapping Jongin awake with whispers of going to the guest room to continue his sleep. 

 

Jongin rubs his eyes momentarily to point out at Jungsoo, gesturing if Chanyeol needs help in carrying the kid to the room, but Chanyeol shakes his head a no, I'll take him before nodding at the direction of the guest room for Jongin to go to already to resume his interrupted sleep. 

 

Chanyeol carries Jungsoo carefully, looking right down at the kid to plant a kiss on his forehead before tucking him to sleep. He sits at the edge of the bed after which doing, contemplating if he even has enough time to change his clothes but his eyes are betraying him, drooping on their own. The bed dips a few moments after, putting all thoughts of changing clothes to the side, and joining Jungsoo in slumber. Only that Chanyeol doesn't fall asleep immediately and finds himself staring at the ceiling.

 

"Appa..." comes a whisper from Jungsoo and a little hand coming up at Chanyeol's shoulder.

 

"Hmmm?" Chanyeol turns to face Jungsoo, who looks like he's only half-awake. 

 

"Aren't you changing?"

 

"Do you want me to?"

 

"It doesn't matter." Because then Jungsoo brings both his hands to circle round Chanyeol's torso in a hug. "I really miss you, appa."

 

It's in these quiet moments of contemplation wherein they realize that they see each other every day, yet don't spend much time together. These days Chanyeol's been spending time with Baekhyun if not taking over time opportunities at work that sometimes when he brings home Tteokbokki, Jungsoo's asleep to even eat it. So it's no wonder that Jungsoo's words tug at Chanyeol's heart strings as he brings the kid closer whilst running a hand through the kid's hair to lull him to sleep with the gentlest of movements. "I miss you too, Jungsoo-ya."

 

"We never get to spend so much time anymore. Do you even remember something special that's happening next week?"

 

Chanyeol thinks hard about it for a moment. He's pretty sure something is happening a week from now, but couldn't recall as to what it is. It couldn't be the daycare event happening this weekend, because then that's not part of next week. Until his mind drifts back to that time he had that long talk with Baekhyun about calling Jungsoo's mom and oh, Jungsoo's birthday is coming up.

 

"How could I forget? It's your birthday."

 

Jungsoo sleepily smiles, so glad that his appa’s remembered and Chanyeol still sees it despite the darkness, because Jungsoo's smile is a ray of light to him.

 

"What do you want to do on your birthday?"

 

"You just have to be there. And Jongin hyung, Baekhyun hyung, Kyungsoo hyung, Luhan hyung, some of my daycare friends? Soojung? Ah, there are four new noonas at the daycare and they're really pretty. I think I want to invite Luna noona."

 

Chanyeol almost laughs, because Jungsoo's starting to talk about pretty now, but then he's too tired to exert so much effort. 

 

And Soojung, hahah. 

 

He remembers Baekhyun informing him of that little information that Jungsoo never mentioned to him personally and Chanyeol just resorts to laughing internally.

 

"Okay, that could work. Do you like to go out tomorrow, too?"

 

"But you have work."

 

"I'll call in sick."

 

"But you're not sick."

 

"Do you want to spend time with appa or not?"

 

"Of course I do!"

 

"Jungsoo-ya, appa would do anything to make you happy. Even if it means skipping work. I'm only ever doing it tomorrow, anyway."

 

"Okay, if you say so."

 

They wrap each other in comfortable silence through warm embraces then, satisfying their longing for each other.

 

"Appa, can we sleep now?"

 

"Mhmm."

 

Chanyeol kisses Jungsoo on the forehead again and whispers goodnight.

 

"And do you really promise tomorrow?"

 

"Of course."

 

"Then can we go fishing?"

 

"Yes, Jungsoo-ya. If that's what you want. Now, sleep."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What Chanyeol didn't know is that he'll be fishing with a literal fish headdress. Jongin isn't even around to help him coax Jungsoo out of the idea or at least do the stupid together with him, because then the younger spoke of something about going to the daycare because he volunteered to perform in the event happening on Saturday. Neither could he invite Baekhyun, because he has classes on mornings. But of course Chanyeol didn't forget to make Jongin say hi to Baekhyun for him and ask how he is.

 

It's just unfair that Jungsoo has him doing it when the child doesn't want to do it as well. The fish headdress, he means. But then again it's quite okay because Chanyeol is doing this for Jungsoo because they haven't been spending enough time together these days. And anyway, he wouldn't trade anything for a smile or a laugh on Jungsoo's face or just the mere thought of doing what they used to bond over even before the work started.

 

Jungsoo keeps on side-eyeing him as they fish, containing his laughter but bursting a minute after all because he got his stupid wish to make Chanyeol fish with him whilst wearing a fish headdress. It's really funny when you look at the situation: whenever Jungsoo does as much think he's caught something, he lets his fishing rod go as he looks at Chanyeol and resumes laughing as if he hasn't done so for years. 

 

Jungsoo doesn't let Chanyeol catch fish either, because then when Chanyeol feels a movement on his rod, Jungsoo would nudge him and laugh at him again for his misfortune. But it's not like it matters as much anyway, because they only ever go fishing because it's fun when they throw the fish back to the water after which catching them.

 

"Hey, stop laughing."

 

"But you're funny, appa."

 

"Why'd you make me do this?" Chanyeol points to the headdress.

 

"Because I missed you!" the kid exclaims.

 

"This is not how you tell people you miss them, Jungsoo-ya."

 

But really, it doesn't matter whether or not people are looking at them for their ridiculousness, what matters is that they're getting their bonding time after all these stressful weeks. Chanyeol doesn't fail to realize how much Jungsoo is growing that everything seems so fast forwarded when they're together. He used to be just this bundle of little blessing he cradled in his arms, crawling when he grew up a bit more, and eventually learning to walk and talk and run. He still can't get the worrisome feeling in his heart that Yerin's bound to come back and how the whole situation now will blow off with just one happening. He tries really hard to store the worries and stress he's undergoing in his workplace at the back of his mind, but it keeps on coming back no matter what. 

 

The rest of the day is spent on basically discovering new finds in toy stores and of course they don't forget to eat, much to their heart's content.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By afternoon of the same day, Jongin's already found out the name of two female volunteers as if it wasn't mentioned yet on the meeting early in the week. He converses with them and finds out who exactly Krystal is from Luna. It's not like he needs to, but maybe he could spice his life a little as he's living at Chanyeol's. One introduces himself with a "Krystal," arms crossed and only jutting out her hand for a short handshake. She doesn't seem all that pleased actually and she's sporting a smirk Jongin wants to know what for. The other girl's Luna, pleasant and nice with a smiley face. 

 

But then there's a really scary feeling when Jongin converses with the two new female volunteers. He's pretty sure there’s someone boring holes in his back that could only belong to one person. 

 

But shouldn't he be used to it now? 

 

Kyungsoo's the bossy type, anyway.

 

Speaking of which, they get to talk a few hours later, when Jongin's practicing his dance steps at an isolated corner outside the daycare.

 

"I don't know what made you volunteer," Kyungsoo starts, arms crossed over his chest. "But it must be the new volunteers, right?"

 

"Maybe." Jongin stops dancing, smirk gracing his face as he nears the younger. "Or maybe it's just that I don't have anything better to do."

 

"Jungsoo's not even here," Kyungsoo complains.

 

"Chanyeol called in sick and is spending some time with the kid. And what's it to you, anyway?"

 

"I don't know. I guess it's that the daycare would be a lot more clutter-free without you around."

 

"Why do you always bully me?" Jongin pouts. He's rather gotten used to Kyungsoo's behavior towards him now. That despite the harsh tongue and the words he bites so arrogantly, he's just joking and he always does it whenever he strikes conversation. 

 

"I don't."

 

"Actually, you kind of do." Luhan joins them a minute later, amusement evident on his face at the exchange between Jongin and Kyungsoo.

 

"I don't, Lu," Kyungsoo defends. "I mean, with him here," he points at Jongin, "there's much more time that Baekhyun can spend with Chanyeol doing who-knows-what."

 

"What do they do, anyway?" Luhan sounds so suggestive that Kyungsoo doesn't like the tone of that.

 

"I don't know."

 

"I swear sometimes Chanyeol looks like he wants to eat Baekhyun up." Jongin doesn't make the situation any better. He actually always doesn't, but they're always just jokes.

 

"I think Chanyeol's okay," Luhan quips. "I mean they're just dating...as of now, anyway."

 

"Exactly!"

 

"You make it sound like Baekhyun's Little Red Riding Hood and Chanyeol's the Big Bad Wolf," Jongin observes.

 

"Aren't they? I mean, Baek's been skipping volunteering a lot more with Chanyeol around and even more so when you came. It's actually a miracle Baekhyun's around to help today."

 

"Kyung, you might want to take your advice a few months back. Remember 'there are a lot of fish in the sea'? You could use some distraction," Luhan offers. "Like you know, there's Luna over there, since Baekhyun's all over Chanyeol now."

 

Kyungsoo actually blushes a little at that. Jongin doesn't fail to notice this and says, "Just not Krystal."

 

"And why is that?" Luhan is the one to ask, observing the way Kyungsoo and Jongin are looking at each other.

 

"No special reason." Jongin walks away.

 

Jongin doesn't like Krystal, right? Kyungsoo's actually unexpectedly worried.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thursday night, Chanyeol finds himself in Myeongdong with Baekhyun, trying to find inspiration for what he'll do on Jungsoo's birthday. Chanyeol is always spontaneous when he asks, so Baekhyun's not all too surprised to find Chanyeol on his doorstep asking him if he wants to go to Myeongdong. Chanyeol leaves his car at Baekhyun's and they go by train because it's a lot easier. Baekhyun finds Chanyeol funny trying to balance himself on his two feet by setting them apart as the train goes, while Chanyeol keeps him close with an arm draped on his shoulder.

 

They go to a cap store with Chanyeol wearing all sorts from cute koala ones to bomber caps, whilst mentioning he used to really like caps when he was in college. 

 

Baekhyun pinches Chanyeol's cheek because he's too cute and Chanyeol counters "Hey" and something along the lines of "I'm the older one here, so I should be doing it to you instead."

 

They eat street food as they go, discussing a little about why Chanyeol felt the need to go to Myeongdong as they settle on one of the open tables. 

 

"I haven't been here in a while and I just really wanted to go and I thought I should bring you along and then you said yes and here we are." 

 

"How descriptive," Baekhyun grimaces. "But have you got any idea what you'll do for Jungsoo's birthday now?" 

 

"I don't know yet, actually. I'm thinking a little gathering of sorts. He specifically said he wants you and Kyungsoo to be there and Jongin, his daycare friends, and some more people. He was telling me something about a Luna noona?"

 

"She's a really nice girl."

 

"Yeah?" Chanyeol sounds suspicious, almost jealous if you really listen.

 

Baekhyun only hums in response, after which smirking and changing the subject of conversation. "You're coming on Saturday?"

 

"Yeah. Are you performing too? Jongin kind of told me."

 

"You'll have to go to know." 

 

"Okay, okay."

 

"And Chanyeol?"

 

"Yeah?"

 

"I know a very nice catering if you want one for Jungsoo's party. The food doesn't have to be a real lot, if majority of who you're inviting are children. I think it would be worth a try."

 

"That's cool. Where's that?"

 

"I was thinking we could go together on Saturday? After the daycare thing? That's if you want to."

 

"Sounds like a plan."

 

"And have you got a present for Jungsoo?"

 

Chanyeol shakes his head.

 

"What kind of father figure are you!" Baekhyun teases.

 

"He's easy to buy gifts for, so it doesn't need to be in a rush. But yeah, Saturday sounds good because I can't make it this coming weekday to prepare."

 

"Why not?" Baekhyun almost sounds disappointed, because that would mean no dates as well but he doesn't want to sound demanding.

 

"There's so much work I need to get done."

 

The last thing that Chanyeol asks in mind is, "Where will I be without Baekhyun?" Because as hard it is to admit, most of his decisions are really ever tipping, sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes in between, and Baekhyun's the one who makes it definite and make it work. Or it's that there's just been too many things running in his mind that he doesn't know which to think of first and he's really thankful—thankful of Baekhyun and how he's so wonderful.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jungsoo goes with Jongin and Chanyeol on the Daycare Weekend, sitting on Chanyeol's lap while Jongin proceeds to help out in the preparations. There's a handful of mothers in the audience, but Chanyeol surprisingly doesn't feel so left out. If anything, he feels accepted as they look at him with endearing looks of how he's a single father and very successful in his young age. Chanyeol is humble when he shakes his head, tells them it's nothing and that it's Jungsoo so he loves taking care of the child. Although, he couldn’t really blame some suspicious eyes for being a single father. He shrugs them of, anyway.

 

 

 

On the other hand, Jungsoo is just so happy his appa could go with him today. He's noticed actually that for the past few days, he seems to be out longer than he expects, and they only ever got last Wednesday to bond like they used to. Chanyeol lied about being sick, too, and actually called in sick just to spend some time with him and Jungsoo appreciates that very much.

 

 

 

Jungsoo recalls sleeping on his blocks of toys, waiting for Chanyeol to return early so they could eat dinner together even before their bonding time over fishing. He would argue with Jongin that he wouldn't eat until Chanyeol comes back even if Jongin prods further that he has to, because Chanyeol would threat him in ways more than one and scolds him that he's not been taking very well of Jungsoo. Yes, Jongin tells Jungsoo his father's threat over him, but Jungsoo doesn't budge. It almost sounds as though he doesn't care for Jongin's welfare sometimes, but it's just that he misses his appa and the days when they used to be a lot more together. It doesn't even work when Jongin eats in front of his face and Jungsoo looks seemingly about to cry because his stomach is secretly grumbling in hunger and tempted to grab a bowl but no, I won't eat until appa comes home

 

 

 

 

 

All the audiences are first greeted by Joonmyun, talking about how the event is for the kids and for everyone's appreciation in making the daycare work into their fifth month. He precedes the event with welcomes and warm enthusiasm that the day will truly be fun-filled with performances of the daycare volunteers and how they really made so much effort to make the event possible. 

 

The first performance is by Luhan and Jongin through dance to music entitled 'Time Control' or at least it's what they said before the dancing itself. 

 

Jongin is full of confidence as he bows with Luhan, a thumbs up from Chanyeol he receives when he catches sight of his best friend. It's a little disappointing, however, when he doesn't find a doe-eyed boy in the audience. 

 

He must be preparing for his own performance

 

When they do start performing, Jongin's heart is on the line for dancing because he hasn't in a while and he's been itching to perform. It's actually a good thing the daycare holds events such as these that he is still able to practice his skills even with a small audience.

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo's jaw literally drops when Jongin starts dancing, forgetting about missing the part where Luhan was concerned. This time Jongin's on his own. He's doing a combination of jazz and hip-hop, grooving to the beat of a song called Emergency. He's so confident when he moves is the first thing that registers in Kyungsoo's mind, so much better than all those Korean performing groups he always sees on television. Kyungsoo's a fan of ABDC and watches Dancing 9, but it's different when he sees Jongin dance because it's so raw and he is seeing it personally up close and he could even come nearer if he wants to, but he doesn't because then that would appear as though he's in so much awe that he couldn't differentiate reality from fantasy.

 

But that's just over exaggeration, haha!

 

 

 

On the other hand, Chanyeol is full of so much pride for Jongin. He's still so proud and supportive of his best friend when it comes to dancing. He always wondered why Jongin didn't ever pursue dancing if it was his art back then ever since they were in elementary. He'd glide in hallways and waltz in classrooms and he wouldn't be kidding if he says Jongin is the best dancer out there he's ever seen and has the chance of getting close to. It's really such a miracle that Jongin even lasted three years with doing paper work. Well, before he came stumbling in Chanyeol's life again with pleas of letting him stay and really just being outright irritating, but really... Chanyeol loves Jongin too much to kick him out if the younger clearly doesn't want to be. 

 

"Didn't know he could dance so well." Baekhyun sits beside him. "He's literally shining right there, Chanyeol. Why didn't he ever consider pursuing it?"

 

"I don't know either, apart from the fact that his mother didn't want him to." Chanyeol's still intently looking at Jongin, smooth and rhythmic movements ensuing. "But he's been amazing at it since elementary."

 

"You're his best friend, though."

 

"Yeah, after he went missing in action for three years and left. Jongin has this talent of leaving, apart from dancing, as though it's for good and then waltzing back in people's lives like nothing happened. He's just like that."

 

"You never went bat crazy trying to look for your best friend?"

 

"Well, it's not like he wanted to be found, but it's not like he's not going to ever come around again either. That's just how Jongin is and despite that, he's still my best friend." 

 

They're conversation is cut short when Luhan taps at Baekhyun's shoulder, signaling of their own performance preparations and an exchange of words about mic stands and speakers.

 

Baekhyun politely excuses himself from Chanyeol and says, "I'm singing, so be prepared."

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun is not kidding when he told Chanyeol to be prepared, because as soon as he starts singing, the older finds himself in a position where he could only resort to staring at Baekhyun and simultaneously listening to his voice, regardless of how he sing himself so much and despite the fact that Baekhyun's voice is syncing in harmony with Luhan's own that Chanyeol thinks of jealousy for a moment. But then when he looks at Baekhyun and catches him looking back, the feeling's gone and he starts humming just like the audiences who all know of the song. He's sure it's a song by 2am, but he's not so sure if the title is Can't I Love You, Can I Love You, or Can We Love—he's not really all that keen on little details. 

 

He doesn't know if it's asking for too much, but he can't help it as well with thinking as though Baekhyun's singing the song to him that he finds himself smiling so much that it reaches his ears. The song is, after all, about growing feelings that couldn't be hidden anymore and beating hearts that don't know how to stop. It speaks of so much feelings of being right next to that person you love, being in his heart and being the most important in that person's life and Chanyeol thinks he wants to be that someone for Baekhyun. 

 

So quickly take my heart.’ Chanyeol finds himself thinking of, courtesy of one of the lines in the song. 

 

It's amazing, really, because his heart is beating so fast right now and he doesn't know how to stop it. 

 

 

 

 

 

Come storytelling, Luna wants to cry with how uncooperative Krystal is. She's just literally standing there beside Luna and only ever turning pages, refusing to do voice imitations of characters in the story they were narrating. 

 

Kyungsoo has had enough with just observing from the side, finally walking over to Luna and literally glaring at Krystal to make her take a step back. But it only makes matters worse, because then Krystal's going over to Jongin for comfort. Kyungsoo doesn't even know what makes him so irritated of her presence. Maybe it's that she just looks so stone-faced and sassy that it parallels to how Kyungsoo is. And well, you know what they say? Opposites attract and like charges repel. But this isn't science and maybe Kyungsoo just hates Krystal's guts and that she kind of has the right to be all sassy because she's a girl!? What is the connection?  

 

Or maybe... he just really hates the way Jongin is holding onto Krystal's wrist right now. And for whatever reason does he have to?

 

Hmmm?

 

 

 

 

So Do Kyungsoo takes his revenge when he sings with Luna by the next intermission performance. He holds Luna's hand for effect as they sing 'Goodbye Summer', because it's a song really fitting for the season for a literal goodbye to summer as it's coming winter. He doesn't know why he has the inkling of wanting Jongin to see the very action, but he's pretty sure the older male does when he catches sight of a serious expression painting his face that Kyungsoo thinks he wins his mental game against Jongin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now Baekhyun's riding passenger, safe in Chanyeol's car as the engine roars to life. It took them some time to convince Kyungsoo that the date they're in for today is for the sake of Jungsoo's birthday party. Of course they had to leave that out as reason when they had to convince Jungsoo. The way they had convinced Jungsoo is to say that Appa needs to talk to Baekhyun hyung and it only takes just that even if it sounds vague. Jungsoo only ever complies because he knows it's Baekhyun hyung with his appa and no one else. And anyway, Jungsoo was having so much fun playing the games and Soojung and Jongin hyung will be here, though, right? to give a care, even if lately he was thinking about all sorts of distance he has been with Chanyeol and the initial joy of having to spend time with him at the special event happening in the daycare.

 

"You didn't tell me you sing!"

 

"It's nothing special, really." 

 

"It is. There was so much emotion I was thinking of crying."

 

"Puh-lease, spare me your drama. I feel a little bad I skipped out storytelling, though. Kyung will definitely kill me. We're partners for that, after all." Baekhyun pouts, purposefully changing topics because then he just might spill to Chanyeol that he sang the song earlier for the older. Right about now, his feelings are overflowing and he doesn't know if he could help it any longer before the day ends. 

 

"We can go back." The way he says it is so sincere, that Baekhyun doesn't even hear a slight tone of disappointment or prejudice and it really doesn't because he knows Chanyeol is considerate like that—he's concluded from all the times they've spent together. Although he has to say that the way Chanyeol just spoke is pouty and oh those lips.

 

"It's okay. You're here." Baekhyun exhales, smiles and stares up at Chanyeol with a suppressed smile. He resists all the urge to smile and make his cheeks tinted pink because truthfully what he just said had implications of cheesy and I did not just say that! but he did and he can't take it back and yeah, it's out there and Chanyeol totally heard it by the way he's looking at Baekhyun with a smirk.

 

"What?" Chanyeol asks, a slight teasing tone at that. "Just smile if you want to or blush or something. I know you like being with me."

 

"You're so full of it sometimes," the younger says, more as a joke than anything. "But I really want to..."

 

"You really want to?"

 

Kiss you.

 

"I really want to..." Baekhyun stalls and thinks of a better comeback, "Uh, I kind of forgot."

 

"Well, now, where did you say the catering is at again? Do you think it's a good idea to just have the party indoors? Like, say, at home?"

 

"Yeah, why not?"

 

Baekhyun sighs in relief Chanyeol changed the topic. He was getting really embarrassed and he's been really getting these little sensations deep inside of him urging him to kiss Chanyeol. So yes, considerate. Very.

 

 

 

 

 

This very day, Chanyeol figures how much time could fly by so fast whenever he's with Baekhyun. 

 

They go food tasting to that catering Baekhyun suggested and the prices are fairly cheap, despite the food being delectable and in packages. Baekhyun helps him out in picking at least five dishes, but it's really relatively easy when thinking of kids: one dish has tofu in it, there's grilled pork strips, squid, two more dishes that has lots of sauce and because Chanyeol's feeling generous, he adds fried chicken to the bunch because it's no joke that it's a general craze when it comes to kids. Not to forget Jungsoo's favorite Tteokbokki and some kimchi just to be safe. 

 

He schedules the delivery the coming Saturday and they settle that, but not after eating dinner together as well and simultaneously talking about Baekhyun’s school life and their friends that mainly starred Kyungsoo and Jongin. 

 

Baekhyun also helps him out in picking a gift for Jungsoo. They both buy different gifts for the kid with little banters about who shall get which for Jungsoo and whatnot between the two gift ideas they managed to settle with after the hard part of the finding's been sorted out. One's a robotic puppy toy and the other's a remote-controlled car. Baekhyun ends up buying the robotic puppy one, remembering the times when Jungsoo would call him puppy hyung. While Chanyeol finally settles for the remote-controlled car as he thinks it's a toy that he could play with Jungsoo and bond over.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's almost closing time when Jongin figures Chanyeol won't be coming around to fetch them and go home together. He's almost used to it by now, so he just helps with the general cleaning after the event: removing tarpaulins and sweeping off streamers that they had used. The event was a success and Joonmyun couldn't contain his smile and thank everyone for coming and participating when they could have been doing more important things not involving the daycare on a weekend. 

 

And it's rather weird tonight when he hears Kyungsoo promptly saying bye to him and leaving just like that. It's a change from the usual sassy mouth he possesses with insults thrown in Jongin's way about tripping if he's walking home with Jungsoo.

 

Furthermore, he gets the feeling that he's been having too much Kyungsoo in his life ever since Chanyeol started dating Baekhyun that he almost finds it unusual that Kyungsoo's not going with them to the Park's to help bake or just pass time.

 

Jongin only knows feeling empty as he walks home with Jungsoo that night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Baekhyun-ah, thank you for today."

 

"It's nothing." Baekhyun shrugs. "But now that the majority of the party's been taken care of, how about a mascot? You want one?" It's a curious question Baekhyun just had at the back of his mind, wanting to get Chanyeol's very own opinion on mascots whilst thinking about a not so tragic past in his childhood involving mascots.

 

By now Chanyeol and Baekhyun are outside Baekhyun's house. It's just taking quite some time to settle in, because Baekhyun couldn't find his ring of keys in any of his pockets and he swears he put it somewhere.

 

"No, Jungsoo's afraid of them."

 

"Are you?

 

"Nooo!"

 

"So defensive," Baekhyun quips. "But it's a good thing. I don't like them either.

 

"Why?"

 

"Well, there was this one time I remember on my sixth birthday when I had a birthday party and my mom gave me to a mascot. I was literally thrashing, kicking and crying because he wouldn't put me down. They thought I was hurting somewhere or injured my hip or something, but the truth is that I was just scared of the furry thing carrying me."

 

"That's really funny." Chanyeol starts laughing. "It's not like it's going to eat you."

 

Chanyeol's still laughing and as irritating as he sounds, it's beginning to sound like music to Baekhyun's ears. He definitely should get used to this. 

 

"Are you high?"

 

"No," and Chanyeol's laughing even more. Crying, even—hands on his stomach and everything.

 

And he just won't stop, he only pauses and then—

 

"HAHAHAHAH" 

 

At this point, Baekhyun doesn't think anything's funny at all. He would hit Chanyeol square on his arms if it were any normal circumstance, but this isn't any normal circumstance as he feels something in his stomach stirring and the jingling of his keys as he finally finds them in one of his gazillion pockets. He doesn't even know how they managed to become so many until now. 

 

 

 

 

 

From a distance, someone eyes them warily. Her eyes narrow at the familiarity of the taller male. She had just settled in for the nth time on one of her friend's pads, nothing permanent so it seems. She was just meaning to take her nightly walk, all strategies of calming her mind and finding ways in which she could find Chanyeol or a possible connection, but then he's right in front of her—across the neighborhood and just a couple of meters away. 

 

Isn't that...?

 

"Chanyeol oppa?"

 

And it's a good thing the street is relatively dark, because then when the two figures kiss right before her eyes with no one else in sight, they don't see her eyes widen in surprise and clamping a hand on instead of making a sound. 

 

But at least.

 

Now that she's finally found him, it's only a matter of time and all the questions she's been meaning to ask she could ask and just as well answer all the questions she knows he has.

 

It's been 4 years.

 

She just wishes Chanyeol hasn't forgotten.

 

 

 

 

 

It must be the butterflies' effect when Baekhyun finds himself tiptoeing on the balls of his feet in a little bit of nervousness or Chanyeol's deep laugh drowning out the noise currently building in his head and he really wants to do something about it—to make Chanyeol stop and to stop the jittery feeling spreading in his chest. Just. Anything. At. All. and then "HAHAH—I feel like kissing you, Baek."

 

Chanyeol did not just say that.

 

But then the older's doing best the thing he does whenever he teases Baekhyun of wanting to kiss, close proximity making his breath ghost over the younger's face possible, eyelashes fanning cheeks, lightly bending over because of the height difference, and a full-on battle mode staring game.

 

But then Chanyeol's laughing again and stops bending. He seems to have gotten the implication of what he just said and the seriousness in Baekhyun's face that the younger isn't even complaining or hitting him for saying things that are not so obscene to be said outside one's house.

 

So Baekhyun catches Chanyeol's laugh with a kiss, so feisty and so earnest. 

 

They don't even notice that they somehow are now at the back of Baekhyun's front door, with Chanyeol pinning him in place. Baekhyun carefully changes the angle of their kiss, shifting positions with Chanyeol now leaning at the back of his front door. He jerks a little when he hears Chanyeol's head hit the back of the door, but he doesn't stop, he cushions the fall and rakes a hand through the taller's locks.

 

Chanyeol's fantasies of kissing Baekhyun first flies through the window. He thinks that at least this is so much better, because he doesn't have to force the kiss out of Baekhyun anymore. Because really, Baekhyun's kissing him and he's kissing back and they're kissing and sdjfgkdsjghfis—his mind is too fogged by the feeling of Baekhyun's soft lips on his that the only thing he could register in mind is that he has to kiss back and he's got to do it right about now.

 

It's now or never.

 

And that's what he does; at first a soft meeting of lips with gentle and subtle movements with a hint of hesitancy.

 

They move slowly, a few motions here and there. 

 

Chanyeol struggles to bring Baekhyun closer, holding the younger by his waist to pull him nearer as he enjoys the feeling of his rapidly beating heart. A thought cuts through for a millisecond, thinking that this is too much to be real, so he withdraws and his eyes widen in shock. They should stop even before things escalate more quickly. He's flabbergasted when Baekhyun says, "Hey!" and Baekhyun leans in and they're kissing again.

 

Now there's a little bit of teeth involved and a little bit of lower lip . 

 

They somehow gravitate on the edge of a couch, with Chanyeol seated and Baekhyun straddling him. 

 

It escalates quickly with tongues as it gets sloppier, headier as it's really driving onto a more non-innocent mingling of breaths and a struggle to gasp for air in a sharp inhale to take in as much they could.

 

Chanyeol was really just thinking of just a simple peck on the lips as their first kiss, but this is ten times better, even if it makes his blood rush into parts of him he just couldn't contain. It makes him almost immobile with both his hands awkwardly hanging on Baekhyun's hips—he doesn't move it higher or lower, because he’s afraid they should take it slow. Baekhyun is, however, taking it into a whole new level with a hand snaking its way onto Chanyeol's hair and sticking there for as long as it counts as their noses bump not so painfully as they move fluidly and their lips still in a mesh. Baekhyun's other hand moves lower, sliding left and right Chanyeol's belly and he thinks it couldn't be any warmer when Baekhyun's hand finally decides to press his palms on it.

 

Chanyeol could live with a make out...for now.

 

Except Baekhyun's lips have other ideas when they move lower right on Chanyeol's jaw, close to his chin, and Chanyeol's gasping for air, heart in his mouth and everything. 

 

"B-Baek," he airily breathes, putting a hand over Baekhyun's shoulder. 

 

It seemed to have stopped the younger's movements then, looking up at Chanyeol with their faces leveled. Although it doesn't last long, because Baekhyun's blushing so much and biting his lower lip as he sinks his head down to fit perfectly on the crook of Chanyeol's neck. He must have figured what they just did and how he acted that he could only put his arms at his sides like a behaved child would. But Chanyeol makes it a point to circle his arms round the younger's waist, keeping him in place as to not make him fall and balance him on his lap.

 

But it seems he has made Baekhyun fall and that makes Chanyeol the perfect net.

 

This is Baekhyun when it comes to love, so insistent and brave, but yet so fearful at the same time that he needs coaxing out of his hard shell. 

 

But his courage doesn't stop even when they hear a doorbell ring and they stay in their position for a few seconds, just reveling in the feeling of their heartbeats beating so loud in their rib cages next to each other. Baekhyun bites his lower lip again, so afraid of rejection and everything that comes along with it as he whispers, "I don't know why you like me, but be my boyfriend Yeol." right next to Chanyeol's ear, so audible and clear that he knows the older heard it. It's actually the first as well that he's calling Chanyeol with a nickname.

 

"Am I not yet?"

 

When he climbs off of the taller, he observes the shock on his face that settles, eyes glazing at each other trying to confirm if the situation is really happening. Baekhyun presses a soft pressure on Chanyeol's lips once more before he's panicking and the reality that someone just rang the doorbell registers in his mind. He looks over at Chanyeol again and finds with his eyes the direction of the bathroom. He doesn't know why he thinks there's an urgency in making Chanyeol hide now, but the sudden knots on his stomach are twisting and he's got a really bad feeling that it's Kyungsoo and that he will lecture him and that his best friend will really butcher him now or worse to death or something along those lines and he thinks he can't deal with those so late in the night when Chanyeol and he just kissed with the lights off and oh , we just kissed with the lights off. Kyungsoo would really misunderstand and think... But why is he so anxious about this, anyway? It's not like he did something so horridly wrong with Chanyeol, they just had a really hot make out session. It's not like we had , but Kyungsoo would totally think otherwise

 

Chanyeol seemed to have gotten the message or maybe he just really needed time to take everything in because then he promptly says, "I need to go to the bathroom."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So what are the chances that Chanyeol kisses Baekhyun?

 

 

Definitely none, because Baekhyun did it first.

 

 

Now who’s that at the door?